DE Hayes tears ACL, QB Carr remained unhurt

RuskieTitan

7 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

where players are getting penalized for sacking the quarterback and making a good tackle

In all fairness, he wasn't penalized.

Although the announcer was calling for it to be a penalty... which was really gross to hear as a tackle football fan. Tannehill had a very similar play which was penalized in Miami's favor and I wish it hadn't been. Dilutes the product. 15 yards and an automatic 1st is far too big a boon for something so incidental. The refs had a terrible day in general, both fan bases were unhappy.

I've seen the video of the Hayes sack. It doesn't actually look like he does anything to really "avoid" landing on top of Carr. He just lands at an awkward angle.

That being said, I really don't know what the NFL expects guys who are coming straight at a QB to do. Go to the side and arm tackle? Twist the QB and potentially injure them/yourself? You can't go low, you can't go high, you can't take them straight down. I really just don't know.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That being said, I really don't know what the NFL expects guys who are coming straight at a QB to do. Go to the side and arm tackle? Twist the QB and potentially injure them/yourself? You can't go low, you can't go high, you can't take them straight down. I really just don't know.

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He picked her up. That's unnecessary roughness and excessive use of force. 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down + first warning for unnecessary roughness. Next one is an ejection from the game.

He did not ask her consent to be sacked, as such Brady will receive a 2 game suspension.

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've seen the video of the Hayes sack. It doesn't actually look like he does anything to really "avoid" landing on top of Carr. He just lands at an awkward angle.

And on the left of the video is an illegal and dangerous high/low block that the NFL will pay no attention to as it isn't against a QB. FFS...

Eh, I think they will become more lenient with the rule as the seasons goes on.  Every time the NFL makes a new rule, they are always super strict about it to start to prove a point and then eventually get more lax about it.

Remember when hits on a defenseless receiver became a point of emphasis?  They used to call that damn near every game.  Or even illegal contact, I remember that being called nonstop. 

Ultimately I think they just want defenders to be more careful and then things should hopefully get back to normal.

3 hours ago, Malfatron said:

this rule is the lowest point of the nfl in my entire life of watching.

for me, mlb has now taken nfl as the number 1 sport.

possibly nhl will leapfrog both, depending if i can find a team i like

Do you remember "in the grasp"? 9_9

I can see that returning to this new flag league. Eventually it will be 2 hand touch for the QB's and a league full of 40 + year old QB's that account for about 20% o the teams cap. If any youth are considering the nfl  , don't expect them to play in the nfl as a QB thats for sure. Might as well enjoy what is left , because it's just a matter of time and there is no way older viewers will be able to watch that. I can barely watch this now and rarely actually like the games. 

C.Matthews made a textbook play but now has to end his instinctual ways and remember the new rule each play. It's going to take a while for the players to adjust, it's going to be called many more times and ruin a few games along the way (already has) 

Defenders should just run through the QB's or push the QB to the ground.  Both of those will hurt to, so the only answer is in the grasp or 2 hand touch. Nice one nfl.

This is how players should hit the QB now I suppose since it doesn't involve hitting the knees (which aren't protected with knee braces of course), and there is not defenders body weight landing on the QB.  

Archived