Around the NFL - Week 4

WizardHawk

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You do see the obvi flaw in this that the TE of Manning/Brady gets to come along for the ride, right?

What are you preparing to debate with this "flaw" though? That Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Benjamin Watson, Julius Thomas, MartyB are all just JAGs and are no better than Geoff Swaim? I do agree that Brady is the main reason, but the Patriots sure do go after TEs like they are important. They aren't without at this position.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

What are you preparing to debate with this "flaw" though? That Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Benjamin Watson, Julius Thomas, MartyB are all just JAGs and are no better than Geoff Swaim? I do agree that Brady is the main reason, but the Patriots sure do go after TEs like they are important. They aren't without at this position.

The only amazing TE you mentioned as Gronk. The rest have been proven to be elevated by their QB.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

At the time they were being elevated by HOF QBs? Cool

Do you disagree that they would easily beat out Swaim and Jarwin, and Gathers(a guy who may be better than both but is still learning the sport of football)?

Yes or no?

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

I'm not saying spend a top 10 pick on a TE though. I've always felt that the good teams are in great position to draft a top TE in the back of round 1. 

I think we need a TE. I played TE. I understand its importance. We need to invest in the position, but it is not as high on the list as other spots. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think we need a TE. I played TE. I understand its importance. We need to invest in the position, but it is not as high on the list as other spots. 

I think it's higher for this team than most. The TE coach is a former QB right? He said on this team it's the 2nd hardest position to learn after QB because you have to be able to do so many things. That's why Gathers is a fringe player and coming slowly, that's why Witten continued to outshine more athletic backups, that's why a few TEs have flamed out here and saw success after. We ask our TEs to do everything. A huge part of the run and pass game. We may need one(have to invest in one) more than the average bear. 

Our TE’s need to be intelligent football players. That’s what made Witten so great. He knew he was limited on athleticism so he made a point to understand and excelled at finding weaknesses in coverage gaps, route running, angles and body placement paired that with his ability to leverage a defender on the line or chip a defender is what made him so great. He outsmarted defenders. 

All of our TE’s are pretty lack luster right now. If we can find one in the offseason, need to test them for intelligence along with the athleticism and get a good mix of both. 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Our TE’s need to be intelligent football players. That’s what made Witten so great. He knew he was limited on athleticism so he made a point to understand and excelled at finding weaknesses in coverage gaps, route running, angles and body placement paired that with his ability to leverage a defender on the line or chip a defender is what made him so great. He outsmarted defenders. 

All of our TE’s are pretty lack luster right now. If we can find one in the offseason, need to test them for intelligence along with the athleticism and get a good mix of both. 

how does one "test"for intelligence on the football field? especially for a TE?

Archived