Alex Smiths future

KC_Guy

46 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I agree PM has issues. But doesn't Alex Smith? PM has shown himself to be a fast learner. PM can stretch the field while also being ACCURATE.  I can live with that.

I also don't want to ruin him. He's gonna be our starter for the next 15 years. Let him learn the NFL game, work in his footwork. Get him to develop good habits, and reap the benefits.

My hope is that when Patrick plays, its not because of an injury to Alex or lack of performance by Alex.  I want him relaxed and not under duress to perform because or an 'emergency' environment.  Remember, whether it's this year or year three, he will STILL be a ROOKIE when he takes the field for the first time.  It's gotta happen sometime--- when???? is the question, and HOW is as important as the WHEN.  And CHIEFTER, I HOPE he's our starter for 15 years, but only time and production will tell.  He's not anointed by anyone for anything yet.....lets get the first snap under his belt, and some success, before we proclaim him as our 15 year starter.  Jus sayin.....

39 minutes ago, jimmydee said:

My hope is that when Patrick plays, its not because of an injury to Alex or lack of performance by Alex.  I want him relaxed and not under duress to perform because or an 'emergency' environment.  Remember, whether it's this year or year three, he will STILL be a ROOKIE when he takes the field for the first time.  It's gotta happen sometime--- when???? is the question, and HOW is as important as the WHEN.  And CHIEFTER, I HOPE he's our starter for 15 years, but only time and production will tell.  He's not anointed by anyone for anything yet.....lets get the first snap under his belt, and some success, before we proclaim him as our 15 year starter.  Jus sayin.....

He's the first guy we've drafted in the first round in close to 30 years. On top of that we traded a 1st and 3rd for him. That is the expectation going forward and I'm totally on the bandwagon 

Exactly. It's much to early to take the ball away from an efficient game manager like Smith. We've built a solid offense around him and there is the chance he can extend his game a bit. A lot of the old Bill Walsh West Coast offense can work, where yards after catch are crucial. Heaven knows there is a ton of speed to throw the ball to.

J

Chiefer, I smell what ya steppin, but I am too damn old and been disappointed too many times to let expectations dictate feelings.  It's the old adage:  "Don't tell me how you feel, tell me what you know".  Frankly, right now we don't know much, except we like what we've seen in pre-season and "feel" like we're on the right track, but I'll let his actions tell me how to feel when he has an opportunity to dodge real bullets.  FYI---scoot over, I need a seat on your wagon.

1 hour ago, jimmydee said:

Chiefer, I smell what ya steppin, but I am too damn old and been disappointed too many times to let expectations dictate feelings.  It's the old adage:  "Don't tell me how you feel, tell me what you know".  Frankly, right now we don't know much, except we like what we've seen in pre-season and "feel" like we're on the right track, but I'll let his actions tell me how to feel when he has an opportunity to dodge real bullets.  FYI---scoot over, I need a seat on your wagon.

Well what I know is that he needs to sit and learn the offense. Get better at his footwork. Work on the little things, the mental part. He's like a wild mustang that needs to be broken in before you put a saddle on him and take him to the rodeo.

He was very lucky that he didn't throw two interceptions last week. Or any throughout the preseason for that matter. Against starters he's gonna get picked off, and we don't need that spiraling out of control. Good thing is that he likes to work, which is always half the battle. 

There's plenty of room on the wagon for everybody. Heck from what I've heard we're even converting Broncos fans lol

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Well what I know is that he needs to sit and learn the offense. Get better at his footwork. Work on the little things, the mental part. He's like a wild mustang that needs to be broken in before you put a saddle on him and take him to the rodeo.

He was very lucky that he didn't throw two interceptions last week. Or any throughout the preseason for that matter. Against starters he's gonna get picked off, and we don't need that spiraling out of control. Good thing is that he likes to work, which is always half the battle. 

There's plenty of room on the wagon for everybody. Heck from what I've heard we're even converting Broncos fans lol

Right. The ball skills are still a work in progress and the footwork is not even that good. I have no confidence he will step up to extend a play. Running still seems to be on the priority list. I love the feel he and Robinson seem to have working, but neither of them is going anywhere else.

J

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20733619/alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-likely-block-2018

The Kansas City Chiefs are expected to listen to trade offers for quarterback Alex Smith after this season, according to league sources.

With the play of rookie Patrick Mahomes II in training camp, it was thought that the Chiefs would have entertained offers for Smith this summer, but no team stepped up to make a deal happen.

Smith has said that he thinks this will be his last year in Kansas City. With many quarterback-needy teams around the league, he likely would be in high demand if made available in a trade.

Archived