Alex Smiths future

KC_Guy

I'll throw in my 2 cents: Andy loves Alex, Andy is a players coach, I could see Andy letting Alex go and then Alex can pick his own team. In an ideal world we would get something back from what we gave up but that's not how we usually do things. I could be way off as well but that's how I feel about it.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And how many teams are actively looking to replace their starting QB?  You've got the Jets, Broncos (depends on how this season goes), Redskins (depending on Cousins situation), Cardinals, and 49ers.  Jets/49ers likely are looking for their franchise QB via the draft, unless the Niners sign Cousins.  So that means that you're relying on the Redskins or Cardinals to want Alex Smith.

What if Reid trades him to Denver ala McNabb to the Redskins?

Im thinking we could at least get a 5th round pick for him. I think teams would rather just wait till he hits the market though.

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

What if Reid trades him to Denver ala McNabb to the Redskins?

Im thinking we could at least get a 5th round pick for him. I think teams would rather just wait till he hits the market though.

I think that's where my line of thinking is.  I think you're looking at teams who view themselves as playoff contenders, maybe even darkhorse Super Bowl contenders with QB questions.  Based off my quick glance, there really was only two, maybe three depending on how the Kirk Cousins situation turns out that could be in that market.

On 8/16/2017 at 2:09 AM, onejayhawk said:

I don't buy all this. Alex Smith has real value as a rental and as a back up. This is his "Show me the money" season. He has been a competent game manager and suddenly he has a raft of speed at WR--for the first time in a long career. We will see if he can jack the asking up some more.

In any event, a 2nd round pick is a lowball. 

He doesn't have any value as a backup at his current cap price. He would have value to a backup for us as well, if that was all that mattered. But no one wants a $15M+ backup QB. If he was on a backup contract, we'd just keep him, as he'd make a great backup to Mahomes.

Interesting discussion at the Jaguars' equivalent to Arrowheadpride: Some guys would trade a 2018 1st rounder for Smith if they could have him NOW (not going to happen obviously). Let Bortles fail this year and Smith may be worth a look for them to groom their next QB draft pick.

I still think he may be worth a second rounder NEXT year.

11 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Interesting discussion at the Jaguars' equivalent to Arrowheadpride: Some guys would trade a 2018 1st rounder for Smith if they could have him NOW (not going to happen obviously). Let Bortles fail this year and Smith may be worth a look for them to groom their next QB draft pick.

I still think he may be worth a second rounder NEXT year.

If I could get a 1st round pick for Alex, I'd do it. Then let Bray start until Mahomes is ready.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:35 PM, CWood21 said:

Looking at a rather rough list, you've got the rebuilding teams who are probably in the market will probably prefer Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen to Alex Smith.  And I'd probably be inclined to believe they'd prefer Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, and/or Josh Allen over him as well.  As for the teams with a win-now mentality, you'd probably have Drew Brees (likely to remain with New Orleans IMO), Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford (potential franchise tag candidate), and Matthew Stafford (guaranteed franchise tag) to Alex Smith and a 2nd round pick.

Teddy Bridgewater as well (obviously, health will be a major thing here). Tom Savage. Cutler and of course Kaepernick, though both struggled to find spots this year, so I don't imagine next year will be any better. I would also fully expect Tyrod Taylor to be cut after the year is over. Blake Bortles could be on his way out without a good season in Jax. Siemien in Denver if Lynch wrestles the starting job away.The problem is that it's still very early in the process and there is an unknown variable in who exactly would be available. It's not impossible that all those highly touted quarterbacks go back to school (unlikely, but possible..though I do expect a few of them to).

Do I see any way in which the Chiefs get a second back for Smith? No. Not at 34 years old and a guy that you're hard pressed to view as an average starting nfl quarterback at this point (based purely on the 1-32 rankings...I think it's hard to have him in the top 16). He'll also be on the last year of his deal, as others have said, so he'll need a new contract. Not a fan of parting with a second round pick for that. Of course, teams get crazy when it comes to quarterbacks, so who knows? I never would have thought that he would have fetched 2 seconds years ago, and I never would have given a 1 and 4 for Bradford. 

THe problem I have in viewing Smith in a possible trade is where is the interest coming from? It makes no sense for a team that is rebuilding and needs a quarterback (49ers, Jets) to take him at this point in his career. Several other "bad" teams, have quarterbacks that they are currently grooming.  Really, the best fit for him would be a playoff talented team, who needs a quarterback. Where is that fit? Maybe Denver if both quarterbacks struggle. Arizona? That doesn't mesh with Arians at all. Maybe jacksonville if they feel that they have the talent but Bortles continues to bomb? Minnesota could make sense, but at best, that is a likely lateral move from Bradford, so you may as well just stick with what you have there. Washington could be a big one, obviously. Then you have to account for the teams, who lets be honest, may not think he's any good. Everyone on FF has seen how divisive Smith is on here, to knowledgeable and...err...less than knowledgeable poster alike. Analysts are the same way - some are fine with him, some really don't want anything to do with him. There's no reason to assume that NFL front offices wouldn't have a similar schism to be quite honest. Some of these teams would grab him if he didn't have compensation and potential big check attached to him, but I don't think that they are going to be willing to give up a second for him, particularly if there are other options who don't require that fee to get him. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

THe problem I have in viewing Smith in a possible trade is where is the interest coming from? It makes no sense for a team that is rebuilding and needs a quarterback (49ers, Jets) to take him at this point in his career. Several other "bad" teams, have quarterbacks that they are currently grooming.  Really, the best fit for him would be a playoff talented team, who needs a quarterback. Where is that fit? Maybe Denver if both quarterbacks struggle. Arizona? That doesn't mesh with Arians at all. Maybe jacksonville if they feel that they have the talent but Bortles continues to bomb? Minnesota could make sense, but at best, that is a likely lateral move from Bradford, so you may as well just stick with what you have there. Washington could be a big one, obviously.

That's my biggest problem.  The list of teams who are likely interested in his services is going to be rather short.  I can see 3, maybe 4 teams (Arizona, Denver, and Washington) being interested in them and I'm not convinced any of them would deal a 2nd round pick for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I could see Alex Smith going to Jacksonville after this season. Post-Bortles INT-era their fanbase may be willing to accept a safe game manager type that could control the ball enough to let their defense play, and kind of fits the profile of good-Eli in Coughlin's years as the hard working vet with both pedigree and limitations that can play safe ball and manage a game while the defense keeps it tight. Their front office may be willing to see his mobility as a plus with their lower end offensive line, and Robinson, Greene, Westbrook and Lee probably qualifies as a solid receiving corps in Alex's eyes to accept a trade there -- as well as a legitimate run game in Fournette that Alex Smith has complemented in his successful years. I can't see Alex in Arizona given Arians vertical game, and I don't think Alex would go to a talent light rebuild. Jacksonville makes the most sense to me as they somewhat compete (aren't last) this year, and settle for a more developmental type hyper prospect similar to what KC has done with Mahomes this year. I think Jacksonville is starved for a playoff appearance, and Alex Smith could deliver that even if he isn't the SB hero type. I think a high 3rd would be fair value in this scenario for a 1 year rental to compete. That would be a 1st to invest in a QBotF, and a 3rd for the bridge that can make them relevant similar to Minnesota who already had their QBotF in Bridgewater and needed to invest an additional 4th --ish for the bridge (assuming here the double pay of 1st round picks is going to Bridgewater being picked again as a developmental QBotF, because I don't think a 1+4 is reasonable to assume another team without a QBotF will pay that much for a bridge).  The talk of less than that is iffy to me, as KC has leverage if JAX (if interested) wants to compete, and JAX has ruined their last two high first pick QBs by not developing them first behind a competent bridge. Only other team that might make a bit of sense to me is the Ravens if Flacco's back is aggravated to the point they need Smith now and KC is willing to start Mahomes right away, with the Greg Roman (who was his OC in Smith's SF rebirth years) connection -- but I think that's really unlikely.

I am probably way off base, but I enjoyed thinking about it.

I'll admit not initially supporting the PMII draft pick. But now that it's done and having seen him play a scant bit, i'm ready to let PMII play and sit Alex for this season. Alex can teach PMII thru this season. Whether Alex stays beyond is up to him and management, but i suspect Alex will want to move on. I'd welcome Alex in a backup role if he knows that's his place. Does he need to be a greedy pig and go somewhere to make more money? Or does he want to remain in a comfort zone playing out his last days with a familiar HC in a great stadium with great fans and be a part of a winner that goes deep into the playoffs? Alex simply can't do what i've already seen PMII do.

Our first string Oline is decent for PM's protection. Hunt is new. Our WR's are young and need to build a rapport with PM, not waste another year with "outgoing" Alex. Watson will play. Trubisky will play. PMII should play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 2:31 PM, kingseanjohn said:

If I could get a 1st round pick for Alex, I'd do it. Then let Bray start until Mahomes is ready.

That's a tough pill to swallow even though I know its rightish.  1st for Alex you get an A+, starting Bray? meh

1 hour ago, valkrei said:

That's a tough pill to swallow even though I know its rightish.  1st for Alex you get an A+, starting Bray? meh

That was also before we saw Mahomes perform. I personally believe Bray did better week one. But Mahomes obviously got better and exceeded what Bray did the following three weeks.

Today, I'd still trade Alex if you could get a 1st. But, I'd start Mahomes.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I think you're crazy. This team has a real shot at the Super Bowl with Smith under center. Flags fly forever.

J

Why crazy? You've seen Mahomes play. He's able to do many things that Alex Smith can only dream of. If we're good enough to go to the SB, It won't matter who's at QB. Let Smith stay on and mentor Mahomes.

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Why crazy? You've seen Mahomes play. He's able to do many things that Alex Smith can only dream of. If we're good enough to go to the SB, It won't matter who's at QB. Let Smith stay on and mentor Mahomes.

Mahomes still has issues, I'd rather he spend the year working on them.

Archived