2018 Freshman Class

Mox

I didn't really know where to put this and had a few players who've impressed that I wanted to hear discussion for.

Trevor Lawrence-He's playing really well. Seems to have ideal size, great tools and so far he's producing at a high level. Is he the favorite for the top pick in 2021? Already took Kelly Bryant's job and has significantly outperformed him.

Amon Ra St. Brown-Obviously playing with his high school teammate JT Daniels helps him get extra targets but he's been incredible for USC. Already leading the team is virtually all receiving stats.

J.T. Daniels-Not the prodigy many hoped he would be and he's taken some lumps early. Still he's shown some nice flashes and played well this past week.

Xavier Thomas-Haven't gotten a chance to watch him personally but I know he's had some playing time despite that amazing Clemson DL talent.

How do you guys feel about these players now and their futures down the road? Who are some other freshman who have stood out? Who is flying under the radar that you think will make a big jump as the year goes on or as they get more opportunity?

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I didn't really know where to put this and had a few players who've impressed that I wanted to hear discussion for.

Trevor Lawrence-He's playing really well. Seems to have ideal size, great tools and so far he's producing at a high level. Is he the favorite for the top pick in 2021? Already took Kelly Bryant's job and has significantly outperformed him.

Amon Ra St. Brown-Obviously playing with his high school teammate JT Daniels helps him get extra targets but he's been incredible for USC. Already leading the team is virtually all receiving stats.

J.T. Daniels-Not the prodigy many hoped he would be and he's taken some lumps early. Still he's shown some nice flashes and played well this past week.

Xavier Thomas-Haven't gotten a chance to watch him personally but I know he's had some playing time despite that amazing Clemson DL talent.

How do you guys feel about these players now and their futures down the road? Who are some other freshman who have stood out? Who is flying under the radar that you think will make a big jump as the year goes on or as they get more opportunity?

Amon Ra is a solid looking talent but like you said has a connection with his QB so he feels comfortable with him and throws him the ball.  Not super impressed with him just yet, USC was lucky to win that last game against WSU they were close to being 1-3 and Vaughns and Pittman are the more talented players right now at WR for them and should be getting more of the throws.  I also agree Daniels has been nothing great, sure good yeah but a lot of FR QBs are playing, that does not mean they are awesome just means there is no one else to take their spot usually..  

Most of the freshman that have impressed me have been RS players so technically sophomores.   There is some talent receivers I feel, especially with Rondale Moore he is having a great season and ripping defenses apart.  He is clearly the most impressive freshman player I feel across the nation so far.  Still waiting to see players emerge though especially one of those Penn State linebackers but nothing as of yet.  No one outside of Lawrence has really stood out though in terms of being a super elite prospect, him and Moore is about it but the season is still early.

Trevor Lawrence I think is easily better than Bryant and far more talented, but will see what happens.  Bryant does give some good experience and leadership to that offense and has his moments.  In terms of pure upside and talent again could argue Lawrence has been the most talented true FR out there outside of Moore.  Xavier Thomas looks very good for sure as well and will really get his chance next year once those four great DLs leave.  Still that Clemson defense especially in the secondary has to improve, how good Mond looked against them was a little shocking.  Will see if they can improve that.

Oh and how can I forget, Caden Sterns, FR S Texas.  Absolute super star potential right there, very good in coverage and very smooth looking athlete.  Could be an outstanding prospect down the road and is another really impressive freshman I have seen so far this year that could be a outstanding prospect down the road.  

27 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Trevor Lawrence is nice, but I haven't been insanely impressed by him. He's made some wow throws, but also has had plenty of dud tosses. I think Justin Fields is the #1 pick in 2021 despite not being the starter right now.

I wish Fields could get more PT. He's looked really good when he plays but he's behind a really good college QB for at least another year.

There is a legit possibility Clemson will have the top two picks in the draft 3 years from now. Lawrence and Thomas are everything they were hyped out to be. Thomas is an absolutely freak athletically. He is as explosive as Vic Beasley but much bigger. 

28 minutes ago, PAW said:

There is a legit possibility Clemson will have the top two picks in the draft 3 years from now. Lawrence and Thomas are everything they were hyped out to be. Thomas is an absolutely freak athletically. He is as explosive as Vic Beasley but much bigger. 

That is saying a little much.  Sure Lawrence is very good and has tons of upside but still has a lot to show obviously, same with Thomas.   PS that Clemson secondary is flat out crap and could totally waste that amazing DLs talent if they do not get better quickly.  How good Mond looked against them was embarrassing I feel, he just ripped them apart.  And either he is that good which he is really not, or that defense against decent QB play will flat out struggle.  Lucky for them they play in the ACC.  The up coming Syracuse game this week will be fun to watch though, wish it was at Syracuse though that place would have been nuts.   

Awesome football program but again honestly, that secondary is disappointing in terms of talent to say the least I feel.  

As for Michigan freshman:

DL Aiden Hutchinson has seen the field, dude is huge already. He'll likely take over for Rashan Gary after this season.
OL Jalen Mayfield almost won the LT job to start the year, he's been on the field for mop-up duty as the backup LT. He could steal away the job by the end of the season.
RB Christian Turner got some snaps last week, looked pretty fast. He'll have a chance to be the starter once Higdon and Evans are gone.
WR Ronnie Bell has seen the field a decent amount, he's made some really impressive plays and just might wind up being the 3rd best WR on the team by the end of the season.

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Yeah, Surtain is another guy who is really good already. Him and Sterns stand out.

Whitlow from Auburn has been good too. Scored the game winner against Washington and had over 100 against LSU.

Whitlow is a RS FR player, if you would be including RS Freshman prospect one would also have to consider these guys as well.  He is impressive though no doubt, should be the starting RB or at least the one that gets the most carries from here on for Auburn.  

Dylan McCaffrey QB Michigan RS FR
Jake Ferguson TE Wisconsin RS FR
Jatarvious Whitlow RB Auburn RS FR
Calvin Ashley OT Auburn RS FR
Scott Nelson S Wisconsin RS FR
Jonathan Sutherland S Penn State RS FR
Kasim Hill QB Maryland RS FR

Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech RS FR 
Tyler Vander Waal QB Wyoming RS FR
Tamorrion Terry WR Florida Stat RS FR

Matt Landers WR Georgia RS FR
James Empey C BYU RS FR

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Whitlow is a RS FR player, if you would be including RS Freshman prospect one would also have to consider these guys as well.  He is impressive though no doubt, should be the starting RB or at least the one that gets the most carries from here on for Auburn.  

Dylan McCaffrey QB Michigan RS FR
Jake Ferguson TE Wisconsin RS FR
Jatarvious Whitlow RB Auburn RS FR
Calvin Ashley OT Auburn RS FR
Scott Nelson S Wisconsin RS FR
Jonathan Sutherland S Penn State RS FR
Kasim Hill QB Maryland RS FR

Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech RS FR 
Tyler Vander Waal QB Wyoming RS FR
Tamorrion Terry WR Florida Stat RS FR

Matt Landers WR Georgia RS FR
James Empey C BYU RS FR

Shoot. I didn't know that, I wasn't meaning to include redshirt freshman.

Archived