deeluxx3's Week 3 mailbag

deeluxx3

What up Titania! A little bit of insight into my life -- I, like millions of people, hate my career. Feel totally trapped. I want to get a bit more into writing/podcasting about one of the things I love the most in life -- our Tennessee Titans. Because of this, I'm looking for a bit of fodder from my fellow members of Titania and would really appreciate you guys sending me some questions you have about our beloved Titans post Week 3. I'll use them to help craft an article...or maybe even a podcast. Any article/podcast i create will be shared here!!!

thank you my friends

mods if this is going against forum rules -- please let me know

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

If Mariota is injured throughout the year, do you move on? Bring him back on the cheap and sign a quality backup? Spend a premium pick on a QB? A mix of any of these? 

How long do you give Derrick Henry to prove he's the guy? 

I can't decide if I like Derrick Henry in this offense or not. In the inside zone I think he looks decent, but in the outside zone when he has to make the one cut and get back up-field, there is just a huge difference in him and a lot of other backs. He is fast in a straight line, but his cut is long developing. If he ran with more power inside I might change my mind, but he doesn't.

He really is a unique running back, I'm just not sure what his niche is.

thanks a ton for sending in questions, guys! helps me out a lot

On 9/24/2018 at 8:34 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

If Mariota is injured throughout the year, do you move on? Bring him back on the cheap and sign a quality backup? Spend a premium pick on a QB? A mix of any of these? 

How long do you give Derrick Henry to prove he's the guy? 

1. Let's assume that Marcus is able to get back to 100% and continue to play through his nerve injury. Should he suffer another injury -- or injuries -- that forces him to miss several more games throughout the rest of the season, I cannot see a scenario in which we invest heavily in him as our future quarterback. It pains me to write, but the unfortunate reality is that Marcus has yet to play a full 16 and, while his only significant injury was his broken fibula, it's not rational to invest so heavily in him at this point. I personally like Gabbert as a back-up and would like to bring both him and Marcus back on the cheap next year. I do not think we should invest a premium pick on a QB at this time, as it would only bring distractions and could prove to be a waste of an investment. Only when we're ready to move on from Marcus -- whether it's this offseason or the offseason of 2028 -- should we draft an early round QB. Here's to hoping we're at least a decade away from that decision.

2. I was listening in on a Kuharsky podcast this week and someone had asked him why Henry was not getting more touches. While this is just Kuharsky's thought, he is of the mindset that fans are more enamored with Henry than both Mularkey's and Vrabel's staff. I found this to be telling, as it may give insight into how Henry is viewed as a long-term asset. From my point of view, he'll continue to split reps with Lewis as the season goes on, thus keeping him from ever becoming "the guy." I'm beginning to prepare myself for a future without Henry. From a numbers standpoint, he's replaceable. While I love him as a player, he's also yet to take that obvious next step. This may stem from a lack of opportunity, but it's hard to see him ever becoming a guy that gets 20+ touches a game, every game. I see Henry spending his fifth year away from Nashville, if he's not traded away sooner.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:00 PM, TitanSlim said:

Do you feel we should give Dez Bryant a look?

I don't. Simply put, Dez's best days are behind him. He'll be 30 in November and is physically starting to slow down. While I think that Dez's character issues have been significantly blown out of proportion for the entirety of his career, I don't see Jon Robinson wanting to bring in the media attention and scrutiny that'd come with Bryant. We just saw what happened with Matthews and got some new insight into his personality and frustration with his role in the offense. I cannot see Dez wanting to take on a likely WR3 role, nor would we want to deal with the complaints that would come from that.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:27 PM, Titans fan 617 said:

How much longer do the Titans stick with Matthews being active? He still looks slow coming back from injury does it make sense to activate Williams at this point a guy who’s healthy, familiar with the offense, and can return kicks if Adoree has to miss a game?

I don't. ;) 

Archived