How to deal with a scammer

Bowler1215

I put my pic on Facebook dating a month or so ago.  I got a catfish or two, a couple fakes.  And a girl who I know is trying to scam me.  At first we text each other and it was getting to know you stuff.  Then she claims she needs an iPhones gift card to update her apps on her phone and to give her phone more data.  This girl keeps insisting that I get her this gift card.  She says her parents and sister live out of the country.  Her brother is a contractor and has jobs all over the country.  She says she can't turn to her friends or co-workers.  I know she's pulling a fast one on me.    The other night, she sent me a text from a different number and didn't say who she was at first.  That's creepy.  Do I ignore her?  Tell her to leave me alone?  Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

I put my pic on Facebook dating a month or so ago.  I got a catfish or two, a couple fakes.  And a girl who I know is trying to scam me.  At first we text each other and it was getting to know you stuff.  Then she claims she needs an iPhones gift card to update her apps on her phone and to give her phone more data.  This girl keeps insisting that I get her this gift card.  She says her parents and sister live out of the country.  Her brother is a contractor and has jobs all over the country.  She says she can't turn to her friends or co-workers.  I know she's pulling a fast one on me.    The other night, she sent me a text from a different number and didn't say who she was at first.  That's creepy.  Do I ignore her?  Tell her to leave me alone?  Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance

Ignore her after you tell her to buzz off. She's trying to scam you and isn't worth your time.

14 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

Do I ignore her?  Tell her to leave me alone?  Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance

It should be pretty straight-forward.  The fact that you're asking others about this is exactly what they want you to do.  There's no reason you should be giving anybody anything unless you're absolutely convinced.  Personally, I have a rule that I don't lend money to anyone besides my parents.  And that's only because they've lent me money.

Your options:

1. Give her some money.
2. Tell her you'll never give her any money.
3. Have some fun with it and tell her you sent her a money order and make her waste her time trying to get it and keep swearing that you sent her money.

I prefer the third option.  It pisses me off when women take advantage of lonely men and vice versa.  My uncle sent thousands of dollars to a woman who was "trying to pay her way into America."  I tried telling him he was being cheated, but he couldn't or wouldn't believe it.  These people deserve to be arrested and face charges, so the least you can do is make her (or probably him for all I know) waste their time and get their hopes up. 

28 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Your options:

1. Give her some money.
2. Tell her you'll never give her any money.
3. Have some fun with it and tell her you sent her a money order and make her waste her time trying to get it and keep swearing that you sent her money.

I prefer the third option.  It pisses me off when women take advantage of lonely men and vice versa.  My uncle sent thousands of dollars to a woman who was "trying to pay her way into America."  I tried telling him he was being cheated, but he couldn't or wouldn't believe it.  These people deserve to be arrested and face charges, so the least you can do is make her (or probably him for all I know) waste their time and get their hopes up. 

The third option sounds like it could be fun.  I'm not giving her anything.  So I might take the 'buzz off and ignore her' option.  I'd take option 3 if I could actually see her getting her hopes up trying to get the gift card.  That would be good to see.  Thanks for the help.

10 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Yeah. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, can you really put a price on love?

This made me actually laugh out loud.

waste a day of this girls time running random errands thinking it'll end in money or taking time out of their day to find out they didn't get any money. Look at it as a community service, the more time of hers you waste the less time she has to scam others. 

I like sending her to pick up a money order you never sent... a couple times if possible.

Then again, if she has your phone number it might be best to just ignore her.

19 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

The third option sounds like it could be fun.  I'm not giving her anything.  So I might take the 'buzz off and ignore her' option.  I'd take option 3 if I could actually see her getting her hopes up trying to get the gift card.  That would be good to see.  Thanks for the help.

I'm totally willing to help contribute ideas to this.

1) take a picture of an apple gift card (just the front with no info on it) and keep texting it to her to say if she got it

2) After that runs out start giving gift card numbers that are short by one digit

I'm sure there's more creative things but this is just off the top of my head in the time it took me to post this reply.

This girl keeps insisting that I get her this gift card

That right there should tell you something that you already know. She, or HE, is a scammer - yes, don't rule that option out. 

A way to have fun with it is to play completely oblivious to the scam and pretend that you don't know how to send money, that you're not tech savvy so you don't know anything about how to do nothing. Then ask her/him to explain it in detail, step-by-step. Meanwhile, just keep giving them the run around (i.e. what is a link? How do I go to that website to send money?.) 

Have fun with it. 

Them: Click on the link that I sent you.

You: What is a link? How do I click on it? Sorry I don't know what you mean.

Them: just tap your finger on this [proceeds to send you a link]

You: Ok Thanks. 

You: Ok I tapped the button("button" lol, throw them off) but it's just blank and says 403 error (not 404 - too easy)

Them: Are you sure that you only tapped this?

Them: [proceeds to send you a link again]

You: Yeah.

Them: Try it again

You: OK

You: I tapped the button again but it's the same thing. What should I do now?

Them: Ok try this one [proceeds to send you a link again using a separate url directing you to the same bs]

You: I'm sorry can you hold on for a minute, my work is calling?

Them: Yeah that's fine [make them wait 15 minutes]

You: Ok I'm back. I tried it again but when I click on the button nothing is happening

Them: [At this point they start getting frustrated because they think that they're that close to "getting you" - just play along]  

Archived