Everson Griffen Incident

PrplChilPill

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i take it to mean he is not medicated at all, but his wife feels he should have been.

That's the interpretation I would take as well.  He probably should have been on medication, but he was not....he probably is now though.

5 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I must say, the Vikings have hit every mark so far in responding to this situation (at least in press accounts.)  If it's a schizoid-affective disorder, then there is great likelihood that he was diagnosed sometime ago.  It usually manifests in the late teen to the early or mid twenties.  If this is the diagnosis then either his medications are no longer effective or he just stopped taking them...which happens frequently with persons with that disorder. Bi-Polar medications can also lose effectiveness.  Whatever the diagnosis, if the behaviors are correctly reported in the media, Everson appears to have had a textbook psychotic episode.

At the risk of sounding political, as I have worked in the healthcare industry for the last 18 years, mental health access and treatment needs to be a major priority for all Americans.  Health Insurance does not reimburse for behavioral health treatments at the same level as most physical conditions.  There is a tremendous shortage of behavioral health professionals in this country.  Finally, except for antidepressants, pharmaceutical companies do very little research and development into new medications for mental health conditions.  There needs to be political pressure placed on lawmakers at all levels focused on the healthcare industry to do more to create access and treatment options in behavioral health.  Presently, the number one providers for mental health treatment in every state in this country, are the jails and prisons. 

I work in the mental health field. This is a very well thought out post. Thanks for sharing VV. 

On 9/27/2018 at 7:56 AM, Virginia Viking said:

At the risk of sounding political, as I have worked in the healthcare industry for the last 18 years....

Thanks for the post.  I have nothing but respect for the people working in the healthcare industry.  Mental healthcare is extra tricky because it is so difficult to diagnose correctly in many cases.  Usually with physical illnesses, people will go into the doctor and explain their symptoms, but with mental health issues, so many don't even want to admit there's a problem.

A close relative of mine works in mental healthcare at the VA hospital in Minneapolis and is very much afraid of losing his job and reputation because of potential lawsuits.

An in-law of mine is going to the U majoring in Psychology and had to purchase expensive malpractice insurance to take an UNPAID internship this past summer.

My mother suffers from dementia and depression and it's extremely difficult for the doctors to get the right mix of medications because she has severe mood swings.  They are basically trying to hit a moving target.

So, yeah, it's a tough job.  I'm glad there are doctors out there still willing to do it.  But like you said, we could use more doctors and more emphasis from the insurance companies.

43 minutes ago, since72 said:

Thanks for the post.  I have nothing but respect for the people working in the healthcare industry.  Mental healthcare is extra tricky because it is so difficult to diagnose correctly in many cases.  Usually with physical illnesses, people will go into the doctor and explain their symptoms, but with mental health issues, so many don't even want to admit there's a problem.

A close relative of mine works in mental healthcare at the VA hospital in Minneapolis and is very much afraid of losing his job and reputation because of potential lawsuits.

An in-law of mine is going to the U majoring in Psychology and had to purchase expensive malpractice insurance to take an UNPAID internship this past summer.

My mother suffers from dementia and depression and it's extremely difficult for the doctors to get the right mix of medications because she has severe mood swings.  They are basically trying to hit a moving target.

So, yeah, it's a tough job.  I'm glad there are doctors out there still willing to do it.  But like you said, we could use more doctors and more emphasis from the insurance companies.

So sorry to hear about your mom.  My mom died in 2002 from Alzheimer's dementia.  While there is some promising research being done on dementia, any treatments coming as a result are at least a decade or more in the future from what I understand.

One of my major concerns is that mental health crises have been criminalized in our society.  When jails and prisons are the largest providers of mental health services in our country something is very wrong.  I would love to see more free mental health clinics that partner with law enforcement to get individuals access to treatment before engaging the legal system and possible incarceration.  I understand that this is being done in San Antonio Texas with some effect.

4 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

Was thinking could keeping B-Rob maybe helped prevent this. I know its pure speculation but knowing how close they are I feel like Vikings may have have taken away his best source of support making his issues worse.

Pure speculation or not, it is at least an interesting thought. The vast majority of what fans talk about on Internet message boards is pure speculation. It's possible that losing a longtime linemate was destructive to Griffen's psyche. Whatever the contributing factors, Griffen needs to figure out going forward with the help of resources available to him, hopefully including the Vikings organization, how he can positively move forward from the current situation. It isn't easy. Hopefully Griffen can figure out a productive path even if that doesn't include football.

20 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

Was thinking could keeping B-Rob maybe helped prevent this. I know its pure speculation but knowing how close they are I feel like Vikings may have have taken away his best source of support making his issues worse.

I'm not going to rule it out as it is an interesting thought. I'm of the mind where it is a strange coincidence. 

I hope Griffin gets everything figured out and whether he comes back to the team or not is irrelevant in that.

But say he comes back ready to go in a few weeks. As long as the Vikings are still afloat, I wonder if the d-line could look better than before. Weatherly and Bower will have had some quality playing time with the first team. Griffin would hopefully be fresh for a playoff push.

Not to mention I think the rest of the defense would have some new life if Griffin overcomes everything and makes it back to field

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Was a roster move ever made involving Griffen? 

Nope.  And I'm assuming he's going to be receiving the Sharrif Floyd treatment and they'll just continue to make him inactive every week until they know for sure whether he'll be coming back or not.  

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Nope.  And I'm assuming he's going to be receiving the Sharrif Floyd treatment and they'll just continue to make him inactive every week until they know for sure whether he'll be coming back or not.  

Thanks. I'm not even sure what the roster move would be...

Archived