Let's talk defense

JAF-N72EX

Since I'm tired of the same old regurgitated opinions about Mitch (and I'm sure I'm not the only one).....let's talk about something that is working well on this team. The DEFENSE! 

We have finally found an identity on defense that is ben missing since the Urlacher-Briggs-Peanut era. 

Who or what has been your favorite part of the defense thus far-- aside from Mack (that's too easy)? Any concerns?

I'm going with Hicks and Jackson. Both have been a huge part on defense in both the pass and the run and are opening up so much for others to make plays that don't show up on the stats sheet.

Between Hicks' relentlessness (despite two blockers) and Jackson's ability to read a play and hustle are invaluable.  

36 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Who or what has been your favorite part of the defense thus far-- aside from Mack (that's too easy)? Any concerns?

Synergy is my favorite part of this defense right now....  It's not Mack necessarily being the stud that he is directly being the reason the entire defense is playing out of its mind right now, but rather the synergy that having a player like Mack is bringing....

The defense consistently looks fired up... Akiem Hicks, Eddie Goldman, RRH, Bullard, and even Bilal Nichols have all been looking even more impressive with attention being forced towards Mack. Trevethan was always good, but the pressure up front across the board is creating major opportunities for him as well, and helping cover over what I feel is a weaker secondary.

Concerns wise, I have 3 of the top of my head for the D

#1 Leonard Floyd sucks (so far). Notice how he's the only guy I didn't include in the above list of front 7 guys flashing with pressure going to Mack? Is it the hand? Or is Pace simply incapable of drafting someone good with a first rounder? Because he's just been this guy we keep expecting to break out, and he just isn't doing it. No single player on this team should have benefited more from the Mack pickup than Floyd, and he's been invisible.

#2 Outside Corners.... Prince and Fuller are together both underrated and overrated guys on the back end.... I honestly am not super high on either, and though I understand resigning Fuller as really the best option, I'd also have been fairly indifferent if Green Bay had taken him off our hands. Going into Tampa, however, the real concern is Tolliver with Prince out.... He's got potential, but Tampa is a team capable of beating you over the top, and things could get REAL ugly.... REAL fast.

#3 Schematically passive.   This is on Fangio in general.... but I'm already incredibly sick of seeing our corners play 12 yards off coverage on third and 3.  We lost to Green Bay because Fangio never put our corners up on the line to at least disrupt the short game, and Rodgers picked us apart with quick passes because of it. We all knew that Rodgers was gimpy, and the pass rush never had time to get home in the 2nd half of that game, and still there was no defensive adjustment by the corners...... This also extends a bit to the pass rush.. We are doing a pretty damn amazing job getting pressure up front, and that is a great thing.... but we are also blitzing at one of the lowest rates in the league (though that figure might have been before the cards game).... I'd like to see pressure dialed up a bit with some more blitzes, as I really feel Trevethan and Roquan in particular can be absolutely deadly pass rush options at times, and (going off the numbers that where linked a week ago) we could literally double our blitzes and still be doing it half as much as the top 5 teams.

I am really disappointing in Floyd as well. His run stopping ability is great but he just is not getting home at all. I'm hoping it's the hand that is bothering him because he flashed quite a lot in the preseason. 

I'm hoping Roquan can really bring it as the season progresses, once he gets comfortable I would love to see him own the middle of the defense.  

So to get away from the negativity geared toward the offense, we created a thread to discuss the pros and cons so far of the best phase in the division but it has already been turned into a thread highlighting the negatives only for a defense that is...

2nd against the run
11th against the pass
2nd in INT's
1st in sacks
1st in FF's
1st in defensive touchdowns scored
2nd in fumbles recovered

...do I have this right?

What a fan base. 9_9

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

So to get away from the negativity geared toward the offense, we created a thread to discuss the pros and cons so far of the best phase in the division but it has already been turned into a thread highlighting the negatives only for a defense that is...

2nd against the run
11th against the pass
2nd in INT's
1st in sacks
1st in FF's
2nd in fumbles recovered

...do I have this right?

What a fan base. 9_9

I'm overall very happy with our defense! I'm just a tad disappointed in floyd as a pass rusher right now. I think our D could be the best in the league right now with the eye ball test. 

33 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He has been playing with 1 hand

But but he doesn't have like 15 sacks and like is not leading the NFL in QB hurries!  Waaay more was expected from the #9 pick in the 2016 NFL draft playing with one arm.  This team is doomed, first with Whytes then Turbinski and now Floyd. 

59 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Next time someone tells me that player X is either good or bad based on the nonsense that PFF puts out there, let's remember that on September 25, 2018, PFF released a list of the top 5 defensive players in the NFL and Khalil Mack wasn't on it.

PFF is for nerds

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

But but he doesn't have like 15 sacks and like is not leading the NFL in QB hurries!  Waaay more was expected from the #9 pick in the 2016 NFL draft playing with one arm.  This team is doomed, first with Whytes then Turbinski and now Floyd. 

How about a couple of pressures? With his speed that shouldn't be too much to ask for from a first round pick.

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

2nd against the run
11th against the pass
2nd in INT's
1st in sacks
1st in FF's
2nd in fumbles recovered

...do I have this right?

What a fan base. 9_9

The defense also has the lowest % of blitz attempts by any defense in the league (by a significant margin). Despite being #1 in sacks. Which is even more impressive.

As for the rest of your post.... the thread was to discuss your favorite PART (not partS) of the defense and your concernS (not concern).... Clearly that wording would lend itself to significantly more concerns being brought forward than positives, given the phrasing.  Even if the overall defensive performance is overwhelmingly (if not even astoundingly beyond predictions) positive. 

Furthermore, you're being a drama queen about the thread in general... OP's post (which was entirely positives)... followed by my post (which was to the format listing my favorite PART, and my biggest CONCERNS) , followed by someone commenting on a specific concern mentioned in my post (and then listing hopes for Roquan longer term) doesn't remotely equate to an entire thread being negative...

The scary thing is that Mack is not fully in game shape yet. I think the last game was the first time he really was not winded in the second half. Roquan still needs to get up to speed so I think this D can be really special throughout the year. 

I think we need up as the third best unit because of our offense and 1st against the run. 

19 hours ago, topwop1 said:

PFF is for nerds

I heard on hoge and jahns that their grades are out immediatly after games end and sent to media who report it as gospel.  

That is simply impossible.  I dont know what method they are using, but its garbage or they are lying.  Grading a play of a player with any ingegrity takes at the minimum watching that play in all 22 at least twice preferably in slo mo.  That is with eyes just on that player.  You have to do it again for each guy, each play.

It is only truly accurate when coach does it knowing the play call and all the responsibilities and whatever issues player was dealing with injury wise.

Took me 4-5 hours to review film in depth of my little league teams with shorter quarters.  I shortend it to two hours over time because it was too much.

If they had 22 guys for each team and game watching one guy then rewinding and working in real time through commercials maybe.  No way they are doing that and employing that many people.  Even if they were broadcast view doesnt show you everything or give you proper viewing angles.  Even an expert in the know cant tell scheme most of time from broadcast view.   

I dont know if they are using some algo program or what, but their initial rankings are garbage if they are coming out that fast.  

Archived