Let's talk defense

JAF-N72EX

22 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Khalil Mack 
5 sacks,
4 FF,
1 INT

Raiders enitre defense (including current game as I post this)
5 sacks(2 today),
3 FF(2 today),
2 INT (1 today) 

You think they miss him......

Well, of course they do. But the truth is that it's unlikely he'd be putting up those numbers with the Raiders...

• 1 month later...

10 games down, time for an update on the Bears defense

4th in PPG - this is skewed by Fangio's prevent defense running out the clock but giving up numerous garbage time scores

3rd in YPG (same as above)

2nd least 1st downs allowed per game - get in get out, get the offense the ball back

2nd in Yards per Play (only 4.9)

Most fumbles forced (16)

3rd in yard per attempt given up

1st in Interceptions

2nd least 20+ yard plays

5th most sacks

1st in opposing QBR (only 79.4)

1st in yards per rush (3.5)

1st in rushing yards per game (77.8)

Least rushing TDs (2)

Most defensive TDs (4 from INTs and 1 from fumble recovery)

2nd most passes defensed

All in all... dey really good

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

4th in PPG - this is skewed by Fangio's prevent defense running out the clock but giving up numerous garbage time scores

2nd least 1st downs allowed per game - get in get out, get the offense the ball back

Most fumbles forced (16)

1st in Interceptions

2nd least 20+ yard plays

5th most sacks

Least rushing TDs (2)

2nd most passes defensed

This means that the defense would be better without Fangio's prevent defense when up 2 TD's. The Bears have allowed only 86 points in the first three quarters this year and 104 in the 4th quarter. This back's up all of that info.

3 hours ago, TB 1 said:

This means that the defense would be better without Fangio's prevent defense when up 2 TD's. The Bears have allowed only 86 points in the first three quarters this year and 104 in the 4th quarter. This back's up all of that info.

Exactly. I get running it the clock and such,  but we easily should be number one here.  

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Most fumbles forced (16)

1st in Interceptions

2nd least 20+ yard plays

5th most sacks

Least rushing TDs (2)

2nd most passes defensed

Like I said during one of the Trubisky debates. We got Mack. We got a serious defense. Life is good.

(but we should have drafted Mahomes)

57 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Like I said during one of the Trubisky debates. We got Mack. We got a serious defense. Life is good.

(but we should have drafted Mahomes)

And then what? He would have been in an archaic offense coached by bozos for an entire year throwing the ball to players as talented as you and I. There is virtually no chance he would be as good as he is now had he been drafted by the Bears, although the ceiling is obviously higher.

19 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

And then what? He would have been in an archaic offense coached by bozos for an entire year throwing the ball to players as talented as you and I. There is virtually no chance he would be as good as he is now had he been drafted by the Bears, although the ceiling is obviously higher.

Mahomes has been wildly better than even his most ardent supporters thought, but you can't say a great QB would be just as great in any situation.

KC almost has near perfect offensive mix right now.  Great coach, great QB, great TE, good WRs, great RB and a Swiss army knife WR/RB who is fastest player in the league by 2 steps causing all sorts of problems.

If Hill gets hurt they are still a very good offense, but they aren't the unstoppable scoring machine juggernaught they are now.  He is the match up nightmare screwing everything up and keeping everyone loose and honest.  Nobody can run with him and nobody wants to give up the instant 6.  

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Mahomes has been wildly better than even his most ardent supporters thought, but you can't say a great QB would be just as great in any situation.

KC almost has near perfect offensive mix right now.  Great coach, great QB, great TE, good WRs, great RB and a Swiss army knife WR/RB who is fastest player in the league by 2 steps causing all sorts of problems.

If Hill gets hurt they are still a very good offense, but they aren't the unstoppable scoring machine juggernaught they are now.  He is the match up nightmare screwing everything up and keeping everyone loose and honest.  Nobody can run with him and nobody wants to give up the instant 6.  

Yeah, I’m not taking anything away from him. I just don’t think he’d be this good this fast here. Eventually, though, I believe he would have gotten there although there’s no telling if he would have ever gotten to this point.

31 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They still would have done the same thing to Mahomes they did to Trubisky.  Make him watch as 3rd string QB as they try to teach Glennon a brand new offense and get him ready for season.  Then throw Mahomes into games mid season with virtually no pre season, training camp, in season reps and no weapons.

He would be coming off a horrible season in that offense just like MT.    He would have heard from media and twitter all about how air raid QBs always fail and had to endure that.  

Mahomes would have started from scratch in March with a new offense, new players and a new coach just like MT.  Mahomes still looks objectively better, but no way he is having same record breaking success he is now if he was drafted by Bears.  Maybe he does next season.  But we are hoping for a jump from MT next season too.

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

We should dig out the old draft threads,  would be cool to see how our picks and predictions held up.  

Freely admit, I was a Watson, then Kizer guy... honestly can't recall if I had Mahomes or Trubisky next

I loved Mahomes but with Loggains I was terrified his bad habits would be amplified. When I'm home I'll look up the real time drafts I posted to see how my picks have been. Should be... humbling. Lol

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

They still would have done the same thing to Mahomes they did to Trubisky.  Make him watch as 3rd string QB as they try to teach Glennon a brand new offense and get him ready for season.  Then throw Mahomes into games mid season with virtually no pre season, training camp, in season reps and no weapons.

He would be coming off a horrible season in that offense just like MT.    He would have heard from media and twitter all about how air raid QBs always fail and had to endure that.  

Mahomes would have started from scratch in March with a new offense, new players and a new coach just like MT.  Mahomes still looks objectively better, but no way he is having same record breaking success he is now if he was drafted by Bears.  Maybe he does next season.  But we are hoping for a jump from MT next season too.

Don’t forget the fact that Mahomes would have also “been a reach” and “Pace could have stayed at 3 and drafted him” and all of the meatheads in this city would have an agenda with him no matter what, seemingly doing and saying anything to justify their original opinion.

17 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Don’t forget the fact that Mahomes would have also “been a reach” and “Pace could have stayed at 3 and drafted him” and all of the meatheads in this city would have an agenda with him no matter what, seemingly doing and saying anything to justify their original opinion.

Agreed. Mahomes was a wild card in that draft.  Most people wanted Watson prior to the draft but Trubisky was also talked about as potentially being the #1 guy.  At no point did I ever hear Mahomes #1, so yes, IMO if Pace took him at 3 he would have been blasted for it just like he was with the Mitch pick at 2.  I also don't think Mahomes would be playing this lights out if he were instead drafted by the Bears.  Maybe next season with having a full year to learn under Nagy, but not this year if put in the same situation Mitch was.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed. Mahomes was a wild card in that draft.  Most people wanted Watson prior to the draft but Trubisky was also talked about as potentially being the #1 guy.  At no point did I ever hear Mahomes #1, so yes, IMO if Pace took him at 3 he would have been blasted for it just like he was with the Mitch pick at 2.  I also don't think Mahomes would be playing this lights out if he were instead drafted by the Bears.  Maybe next season with having a full year to learn under Nagy, but not this year if put in the same situation Mitch was.

I was huge on Mahomes and defended him here and in other subforums for the last 2 years of his college career (as did @G08), but the idea of him with Loggains/Fox did honestly scare the hell out of me. If I KNEW we were going with an offensive HC like Nagy or DeFilippo I would have pulled the trigger, but I wasn't sure what Pace would do. Without a true system in place for him to learn, I think Mahomes could have busted REALLY bad. He was my favorite but Tru was a close 2nd, as he had flashes and high athleticism, but his bad habits weren't as reinforced due to less gametime under him. I agree though, he would be a year behind just as Tru was.

The only thing to combat that was game experience though. Both Mahomes and Watson threw more passes in college alone than Tru has in college and the pros combined. So I think Mahomes would have put up more than a 7/7 TD/INT ratio, but I can't say he would have had a good year by any means. Mitchell was behind the 8 ball as a rookie, and has made significant gains. 

Archived