Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

Yeah, nobody can really argue that they're not picking best movies.  They're picking movies based on their subject matter.  Spotlight, simply put, was NOT a better movie than Mad Max.  With Spotlight, we're talking about a movie written by the guy who wrote and directed the following movie RIGHT BEFORE he directed Spotlight:

91gkAYqOEtL._SL1500_.jpg

It's not high art.  It's not fundamentally or technically groundbreaking.  Visually, it's All the President's Men. 

Moonlight was not high art.  It was visually a music video.  It literally took overused shots from music videos and applied them to a narrative feature length film.  It's boring, too.  If the only positive thing people can say about it is that it's an important movie for black LGBT, why in the **** is that winning best picture?  Hacksaw Ridge is probably the best war movie I've ever seen (certainly my favorite).  Hacksaw Ridge was beaten as best war movie ever just a year after with Nolan's Dunkirk.  Nolan made a captivating, groundbreaking war movie with minimal dialogue and a PG-13 rating that did things no movie has ever really tried before visually or in storytelling.  I could rattle off serious directors who expressed jealousy and awe at what Nolan did with Dunkirk. 

A movie about a woman falling in love with a fish won.  There's literally a line in the movie, "Never trust a man.  Even if he looks flat down there."  If that's not enough to clue you in that it's a man-hating movie, you're missing it.  It also won because it was cute and quirky and had a lot of references to filmmaking both on the surface and subliminally.  There is no damn way in hell that movie should have won over Dunkirk.  Absolutely zero way it should have won. 

There's a dark history over the Academy Awards of the Academy obviously and blatantly ignoring popular films that are, in fact, amazing, great, iconic movies.  Alfred Hitchcock was nominated for five Academy Awards.  Five.  He won zero.  Why?  Because the Academy resented his popularity and they tried to pass off his success as cheap tricks and pandering to audiences when in reality, and as history has shown, he was one of the greatest directors to ever live. 

The same thing is happening to Nolan. 

Inception - Will be remembered for fifty years AFTER King's Speech is long forgotten.
Dunkirk - Will be regarded as one of the best displays of purely visual storytelling in cinematic history.  Shape of Water will be remembered as a slightly creepy monster romance movie with plagiarism attached to it. 
The Prestige - Not even nominated, and yet Little Miss Sunshine, Babel and The Queen were.
Memento - Not even nominated.  Chocolat was.  Chocolat. 

The Academy shows favoritism, extreme and blatant jealousy, and derision of anything that's popular.

The reality is that audiences are more intelligent than people give them credit for.  Great achievements, balanced achievements rise to the top and are remembered.  Pretentious drivel and stories that rely on subject matter come out as what they really are... Oscar bait. 

• Like 1

I've noticed that the oscars way of picking best picture has changed in a way

they were leaning more towards mainstream films in the 90s.. forrest gump, dances with wolves, titanic, Braveheart, the silence of the lambs  etc.. won best picture(looks like they had a thing for epics)... 00s was a mix bag of popular films and smaller ones... this decade they seem to lean more to the smaller films .. don't think Moonlight, a kings speech, the Artist and Spotlight win BP in the 90s

Yeah, the 90's had two major gaffs with The English Patient over Fargo or Jerry Maguire and Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line. 

Not all other movies in the 90's should have won necessarily, but at least you can say that all the others in the 90's have stood the test of time and remain popular and iconic. 

Maybe the Oscars go through trends and the 20's will start recognizing movies that are actually good with wide appeal and not overrated pretentious drivel. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, the 90's had two major gaffs with The English Patient over Fargo or Jerry Maguire and Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line. 

Not all other movies in the 90's should have won necessarily, but at least you can say that all the others in the 90's have stood the test of time and remain popular and iconic. 

Maybe the Oscars go through trends and the 20's will start recognizing movies that are actually good with wide appeal and not overrated pretentious drivel. 

they will.. ABC is getting on them due to the low ratings

it was their idea to add this new award

I personally don't care who wins what award..  but I'm going to enjoy the online banter this new award will cause in 2020 lol

Just now, August4th said:

they will.. ABC is getting on them due to the low ratings

it was their idea to add this new award

I think the award is a little offensive.  Imagine being told your movie was the most popular, best movie according to the vast majority of the entire reason why movies are made and you win this award instead of the one that people will actually remember. 

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think the award is a little offensive.  Imagine being told your movie was the most popular, best movie according to the vast majority of the entire reason why movies are made and you win this award instead of the one that people will actually remember. 

you never know but this new award could end up surpassing BP in importance in the future.. I can see ABC making the oscars save that award for last if it brings in the most viewers and overtime it becomes a bigger deal...and the smaller films get pushed back... Best picture could split into two awards.. one awarding bigger productions and the other for more artistic visions...like it used to be

At the 1st Academy Awards ceremony (for 1927 and 1928), there were two categories of awards that were each considered the top award of the night: Outstanding Picture and Unique and Artistic Picture, the former being won by the war epic Wings, and the latter by the art film Sunrise. Each award was intended to honor different and equally important aspects of superior filmmaking.

I can live with this tbh more unique even smaller films can get more attention just like the bigger films will ... might actually weed out those stale by the book Oscar bait films since they really wouldn't fit in either category

Edited by August4th

Mad Max is vastly overrated tbh. 

Spotlight won on subject matter, acting and a great story IMO. Not everything has to be reinvented or different.

IDK. Movies are entirely subjective so telling someone else they are wrong is just stupid I guess. Is what it is. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RamRod said:

Why not? I know hating the Oscars is the cool thing to do nowadays but I still think it's prestigious (even after this) and it's probably the highest honor you can get in the entertainment industry.

When f'ing Suicide Squad has more Oscars than The Shawshank Redemption, Taxi Driver, It's a Wonderful Life and The Shining, you know something's wrong.

It's even more of a joke when you take into account the fact that it won Best Makeup over a movie with 56 different unique alien creature designs. 

51 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

When f'ing Suicide Squad has more Oscars than The Shawshank Redemption, Taxi Driver, It's a Wonderful Life and The Shining, you know something's wrong.

It's even more of a joke when you take into account the fact that it won Best Makeup over a movie with 56 different unique alien creature designs. 

People are still salty over Suicide Squad winning an Oscar? Is it a good movie? No. Did it deserve to win over Star Trek? Probably not. But I also don’t think it really hurts the Oscars credibility much. No one is saying because it has won more Oscars it’s better than those movies.

Norbit has more Oscar nominations than thousands of better movies better than it and so do some of the Transformers movies. Does that make those movies better than all the others? Absolutely not.

The Oscars don’t always get it right and you could go on forever about how this should have won over that or this should’ve been nominated over that.

The fact that Suicide Squad won an Oscar doesn’t take away or lessen the significance of a movie or actor winning. Nobody is like “oh Suicide Squad won an Oscar? I guess that means Tom Hanks’ Oscars are meaningless now.”

If you want to believe the simple fact that Suicide Squad won an Oscar completely illegitimizes the whole thing then so be it but I think everybody is overreacting about it and I still think the Oscar remains a pretty prestigious award.

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

You're taking a win in a technical category and passing it off as a win in one of the prestigious categories by bringing up those classics.  Suicide Squad had great makeup...what's the big deal?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Spotlight won on subject matter, acting and a great story IMO. Not everything has to be reinvented or different.

IDK. Movies are entirely subjective so telling someone else they are wrong is just stupid I guess. Is what it is. 

Yeah, you're right.  A movie doesn't have to be different or reinvent everything.  It just probably shouldn't follow everything exactly the same way as past movies, which Spotlight did.

Mad Max is vastly overrated tbh. 

Lol.  It changed action movies probably forever and it cemented itself as an all-time great action movie.  But yeah.  Vastly overrated. 

Bottom line, great movies last.  Even boring great movies.  In ten years, nobody will be talking about Spotlight the way people still talk about All the President's Men (comparable movie).  Mad Max will last. 

Edited by Outpost31