Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

18 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Andy Serkis directing Venom 2.

Tom Hardy apparently helped write the script.

Hardy's biggest contribution to Serkis:

"Watch the first movie...and start over...please."

(Yes, it can be aruged that it was so bad it was entertaining, in a train-wreck-can't-keep-your-eyes-off-it kind of way.  Sequels don't survive that way though)

3 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Isn’t Netflix hemorrhaging enough money to be giving out deals like this?

Haven't really paid attention to their financials, but i would imagine if they're losing money, their strategy is to double down and get more content.  The only way they're going to win more subscribers is by increasing their content.

The Mad About Movies podcast discussed this on one of their recent movie news podcasts (they just started separating their movie news and movie reviews into separate podcasts, which is a change I like a lot because I won't download it if it's not a movie I have seen, but will download the movie news podcasts only now that they are separate).  They still have a huge revenue stream and can likely afford 10-12 huge projects a year, be it movies like The Irishman, or series like this one they are now going to develop.  We're going to see streaming change a lot in the next 4-5 years, it's going to be more about who survives that time span moreso than who is profitable.  Keep subscribers and you can stay afloat.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, August4th said:

this looks like a steal

I'm all over this.  We were already a shoe in to get Disney Plus (my boys are MCU super fans and love a lot of other Disney content), we already have Hulu as well.  I assume there will still be an upcharge for multiple screens simultaneously and another upcharge for ad free Hulu, but even at $20 a month it's a steal for me.  We're paying around $12 a month now for Hulu ad free, so adding Disney+ and ESPN+ for $8 a month?  Hell Yes!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, theJ said:

Haven't really paid attention to their financials, but i would imagine if they're losing money, their strategy is to double down and get more content.  The only way they're going to win more subscribers is by increasing their content.

Alot of new streaming services are coming out which will pull content away from them, and I dont think their original content is going to carry them far.   And didnt their prices just go up?

I dont think I'll ever join Netflix again.  I have Hulu, Amazon video, I occasionally get DC Universe, and with Disney coming out with one, I dont see me spending money on Netflix, especially with them losing content the way they are and will continue to do.

Apparently,  Disney is rebooting Home Alone and Night at the Museum.

Disney doesnt seem interested in creating original content anymore.  And dont get me started on how stupid it is to reboot/remake Home Alone....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Alot of new streaming services are coming out which will pull content away from them, and I dont think their original content is going to carry them far.   And didnt their prices just go up?

I dont think I'll ever join Netflix again.  I have Hulu, Amazon video, I occasionally get DC Universe, and with Disney coming out with one, I dont see me spending money on Netflix, especially with them losing content the way they are and will continue to do.

Yeah their prices went up again.

It's a gamble.  But they're trying to retain market share, so the gamble makes sense.  Will it work?  To some degree, probably.  Will it end making financial sense?  TBD.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah their prices went up again.

It's a gamble.  But they're trying to retain market share, so the gamble makes sense.  Will it work?  To some degree, probably.  Will it end making financial sense?  TBD.

I agree....but their best days are definitely behind them.   They used to be the premier streaming service, but they are fading quickly and may not even be a top 5 streaming service in a few years.  I dont see this changing anything.   GoT creators merely adapted GRR Martin's stories.  It's a risk to pay them so much for original content IMO.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, THE DUKE said:

I'm all over this.  We were already a shoe in to get Disney Plus (my boys are MCU super fans and love a lot of other Disney content), we already have Hulu as well.  I assume there will still be an upcharge for multiple screens simultaneously and another upcharge for ad free Hulu, but even at $20 a month it's a steal for me.  We're paying around $12 a month now for Hulu ad free, so adding Disney+ and ESPN+ for $8 a month?  Hell Yes!

That's a good deal.  I've been adamant that I wasn't doing Disney plus, but ESPN with it and considering Netflix keeps cancelling shows I like,  I might need to make the switch. 

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

So it is NOT ad-free Hulu I have heard from various sources. I can not abide adds, rather pay the $11 for Hulu and the 6.99 for Disney+ and boo all to ESPN

I'd be pretty shocked if you can't add on ad-free hulu for the same upcharge Hulu charges now to cut out ads.  I never had much of an issue with ads, but my wife is the same way, totally worth the extra money each month to her.  I'll just assume it's going to be more than the $12.99 to have all of what I want (ad-free, at least 4 screens, probably some other thing i'm not thinking of).

On 8/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, THE DUKE said:

So will ESPN+ include NFL games? If so, screw Netflix.