Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

Literally the first person I have ever seen say this.  Not judging, everyone has their own opinions, just an observation. 

33 minutes ago, MacReady said:

The only people who say they didn’t like The Wire are the ones who didn’t give it enough time and stopped watching.

I had to try four times before I made it past the first four episodes.

I am half way through season one.  I have not watched it since the original run, but it still holds up.

• Like 1

I tried and failed to watch the Wire several times until last year or the year before when I watched it the whole way through. I think it was the word of mouth that killed it for me. Everyone saying it’s the greatest show of all time made my expectations very high going in and what I got was an above average cops n’ bad guys show. Even Omar, heralded as the coolest guy in the show, was just a flat character that went out with a whimper. Just wasn’t for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I tried and failed to watch the Wire several times until last year or the year before when I watched it the whole way through. I think it was the word of mouth that killed it for me. Everyone saying it’s the greatest show of all time made my expectations very high going in and what I got was an above average cops n’ bad guys show. Even Omar, heralded as the coolest guy in the show, was just a flat character that went out with a whimper. Just wasn’t for me. 

If you think this is what the Wire is you either weren't paying attention or didn't watch the the show. The show is not about cops n bad guys. That is an indictment of the show.

And Omar is one of several coolest characters on the show.. If you only watched a few episodes of the show then you probably need to stop talking about it because your opinions are ****.

Edited by bootsy

31 minutes ago, bootsy said:

If you think this is what the Wire is you either weren't paying attention or didn't watch the the show. The show is not about cops n bad guys. That is an indictment of the show.

And Omar is one of several coolest characters on the show.. If you only watched a few episodes of the show then you probably need to stop talking about it because your opinions are ****.

An oversimplification to be sure, but it just wasn’t for me when I watched it. May be in part that I have police show fatigue in the same way I have superhero movie fatigue, which isn’t the fault of a police drama that preceded what I’ve seen. I recognized it was deeper than cops n bad guys lol. It covered poverty, the understanding the illegal drug trade was like the Hydra (no matter how many heads you cut off another will pop up), politics, etc. The deeper meaning and symbolism in various messages weren’t lost on me. Not liking the same shows as you doesn’t make my opinion **** lmao. But I would consider in the future giving it another try as I’ve noticed my opinions are changing significantly as I get older. I absolutely love 80’s movies now, when I always just thought they were goofy and poorly acted when I was younger. 

On 3/29/2023 at 10:02 AM, MacReady said:

The only people who say they didn’t like The Wire are the ones who didn’t give it enough time and stopped watching.

I had to try four times before I made it past the first four episodes.

The first season of The Wire makes Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy seem like a non stop action thriller.  I love it, but that burn is slooooooooooooowwww.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The first season of The Wire makes Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy seem like a non stop action thriller.  I love it, but that burn is slooooooooooooowwww.

Accurate, but soooooo thankful I powered through.

And one of these days, by God, I’m going to watch TTSS again.