Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

3 hours ago, 43M said:

Outside of maybe 5% to 10% of modern Hollywood writers, you could probably find more or at least equally creative and talented people on fanfiction sites.    Im not even joking.    These people want more money to write absolute dogpoo that lose studios millions upon millions.

Unfortunately, theyll get what they want instead of being told to pound sand.

The biggest issue is the pay structure with the advent of streaming services.

With network TV shows when you write an episode you get paid your initial pay then you get paid a little every time the episode airs.

With streaming services like Netflix you get paid for writing the episode and that's it,  doesn't matter how many views it gets,  doesn't matter if it's the next massive hit you don't squat on the back end. 

And with the actors the big issue is AI... studios basically wanted to pay an actor once and then have the rights to use their likeness forever requiring no additional compensation and no permission from the actor. 

Could never imagine siding with studios lol. Don't care how "poor" you think some writers may be, those writers have jack **** compared to the studios and the studios will step all over them wherever and whenever they can. If those fanfic writers were worth their salt, maybe sack up and go try and write in Hollywood. 

Hint: You wanna know why they don't? See the second sentence of the above paragraph. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The biggest issue is the pay structure with the advent of streaming services.

With network TV shows when you write an episode you get paid your initial pay then you get paid a little every time the episode airs.

With streaming services like Netflix you get paid for writing the episode and that's it,  doesn't matter how many views it gets,  doesn't matter if it's the next massive hit you don't squat on the back end. 

And with the actors the big issue is AI... studios basically wanted to pay an actor once and then have the rights to use their likeness forever requiring no additional compensation and no permission from the actor. 

Im not saying there aren't legit gripes.   Im sure there are plenty.   I just hate the idea of MOST of the current lot of writers being at all rewarded for the trash they come up with. 

I hate the idea of AI writing scripts too, but it cant be worse than what we see getting regularly regurgitated in Hollywood right now.

If they actually started hiring writers based on actual skill, Id have no issue with this.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Im not saying there aren't legit gripes.   Im sure there are plenty.   I just hate the idea of MOST of the current lot of writers being at all rewarded for the trash they come up with. 

I hate the idea of AI writing scripts too, but it cant be worse than what we see getting regularly regurgitated in Hollywood right now.

If they actually started hiring writers based on actual skill, Id have no issue with this.

I am a self-published author with no ties to any industry or the strike, and I have dabbled with AI to see if it makes writing my stories easier. Yes, it absolutely can get worse, and I am not high on the current state of writing in Hollywood.

7 hours ago, Mox said:

I am a self-published author with no ties to any industry or the strike, and I have dabbled with AI to see if it makes writing my stories easier. Yes, it absolutely can get worse, and I am not high on the current state of writing in Hollywood.

Let me rephrase it....I think with advancements over the next decade or so, AI wont be worse.   Right NOW, you aren't wrong.   Its the same as AI generated videos we see popping up on YouTube alot.   They are Tim Burton-ish nightmare fuel right now....but in 5 or 10 years, we will likely see significant improvement, especially in high end AI stuff, and I think thats what writers are worried about.   Not so much right now, but they are trying to future proof their job prospects.

I want the human element to remain in producing entertainment, but as creativity and imagination become a thing of the past with the mindless drones they continually employ to come up with content that ultimately doesn't interest anyone and ends up losing money, studios are going to look more towards AI as a cost cutting measure going into the future.    Right now it may not be entirely feasible, but that doesnt mean it wont be in a few years.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Let me rephrase it....I think with advancements over the next decade or so, AI wont be worse.   Right NOW, you aren't wrong.   Its the same as AI generated videos we see popping up on YouTube alot.   They are Tim Burton-ish nightmare fuel right now....but in 5 or 10 years, we will likely see significant improvement, especially in high end AI stuff, and I think thats what writers are worried about.   Not so much right now, but they are trying to future proof their job prospects.

I want the human element to remain in producing entertainment, but as creativity and imagination become a thing of the past with the mindless drones they continually employ to come up with content that ultimately doesn't interest anyone and ends up losing money, studios are going to look more towards AI as a cost cutting measure going into the future.    Right now it may not be entirely feasible, but that doesnt mean it wont be in a few years.

That's fair. Studios turning to AI seems inevitable but is a slippery slope we absolutely do not want to get started on. The negatives far outweigh the assumed positives.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Just a bunch of ******* in corporate suits. They could write the worst shows for the next 100 years and I'd still support them over these ******* clowns. 

In general, I tend to despise Hollywood writers. But you're still right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacReady said:

The Exorcist: Believer looks like absolute trash. It doesn’t look any better than the television series. Neither from a plot standpoint nor a production standpoint. It just looks terrible in every single way.

I mean, it's from the guy (read: hack) who did the Halloween Ends trilogy, so that's really not much of a surprise. Casting a 90-year-old Ellen Burstyn as a legacy character turned out to be a bad idea that's causing all kinds of production problems, who'd have thunk it?

DGG is a hack and I knew when they brought him back to do the new Exorcist trilogy fresh off of him boning Halloween's rotting corpse it was gonna be hot garbage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

I mean, it's from the guy (read: hack) who did the Halloween Ends trilogy, so that's really not much of a surprise. Casting a 90-year-old Ellen Burstyn as a legacy character turned out to be a bad idea that's causing all kinds of production problems, who'd have thunk it?

DGG is a hack and I knew when they brought him back to do the new Exorcist trilogy fresh off of him boning Halloween's rotting corpse it was gonna be hot garbage.

It's insane to me that the same director who made the 2018 version also made Kills/Ends.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:52 AM, 43M said:

AI definitely is the end of the road we stared on like 13ish years ago, and essentially a lot of these studios have been using the writers and creatives a lot in a similar manner. A lot of these blockbusters have a handful of writers attached by the end as the studios try to nudge it where they want it.

Like with any industry there are 100% people that just aren’t that good at it. But even some really good writers are hamstrung by these studios. It’d be like the best Plumber or Car salesmen coming into a job most of the way done, or have 4 others come in to redo parts of what they did. It just shows so badly. Each thing tends to be a boiled down researched safe thing that shows you something you’ve seen or doesn’t venture very far from that. 

I’m a 100% with the writers, just on principle. But I also want to delay that grim future of content becoming even more of cold meaningless thing. Same with the actors. More and more we get into the streaming era the clearer it becomes that the same rules for theater ownership probably should’ve extended to stakes in streaming platforms. The conflict of interest and near monopolistic hold they have on the industry isn’t good.

10 hours ago, KManX89 said:

He needs to go back to doing just low-budget drama's and comedy TV. He's good at that.