Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

Among the Sony titles to have already wrapped production and due to land this year are Taylor-Johnson’s long-awaited Marvel entry “Kraven the Hunter,” set for release in December

“long awaited”
giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952o2rau8phf9z04pyvqj

• Like 1

Nosferatu is easily my most anticipated movie right now.

I hated The Lighthouse and The Witch both for different reasons, but visually I think Eggers is one of the best directors out there and I think he’s perfect for a new adaptation of Nosferatu.

Dracula/vampires should be otherworldly. Unfamiliar. Terrifying. They should not be mundane nor easily understood, and they in no circumstances should ever be sexualized.

Dracula is my favorite novel of all time, but I haven’t enjoyed a vampire movie since FFC and Gary Oldman got together.

On 6/24/2024 at 2:50 PM, MacReady said:

Nosferatu is easily my most anticipated movie right now.

I hated The Lighthouse and The Witch both for different reasons, but visually I think Eggers is one of the best directors out there and I think he’s perfect for a new adaptation of Nosferatu.

Dracula/vampires should be otherworldly. Unfamiliar. Terrifying. They should not be mundane nor easily understood, and they in no circumstances should ever be sexualized.

Dracula is my favorite novel of all time, but I haven’t enjoyed a vampire movie since FFC and Gary Oldman got together.

Eggers is interesting, I actually think The Witch is easily his best film to date.  The Lighthouse was just kind of weird and The Northman I did not really like either.  

This Nosferatu could be decent and I agree visually Eggers is an interesting director.  Not sure how great this movie will be though, the lack of other elite actors outside of Dafoe could be a big issue.   And no I would not call Bill Skarsgard an elite actor, he is just a odd face basically.  And going after such a played storyline could be who knows, dark films that are not well lit, the right music, quick/jerky camera shots, is pretty easy to make an audience jump.  Fact is the scariest movies in the last 20 years, it is not a great list in my opinion so not sure this one will be all that different but we will see.  

Why they release this Christmas time I have no idea, why not just do around Halloween or around Thanksgiving...  And with streaming services as if release dates are even that important or as if the box office is the main concept they are going for.  

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is probably the best Vampire movie in the last 20 years granted it is mostly about the visuals and the music and not so much about the vampire girl...  Let the Right One In 2008 is right there as well despite the lack of money to make solid graphics in a few scenes.  Interview with a Vampire might be my favorite Vampire film but yeah there is not a ton of competition, not many really great ones out there.  Heck Blade could be one of the best Vampire films all time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Eggers is interesting, I actually think The Witch is easily his best film to date.  The Lighthouse was just kind of weird and The Northman I did not really like either.  

This Nosferatu could be decent and I agree visually Eggers is an interesting director.  Not sure how great this movie will be though, the lack of other elite actors outside of Dafoe could be a big issue.   And no I would not call Bill Skarsgard an elite actor, he is just a odd face basically.  And going after such a played storyline could be who knows, dark films that are not well lit, the right music, quick/jerky camera shots, is pretty easy to make an audience jump.  Fact is the scariest movies in the last 20 years, it is not a great list in my opinion so not sure this one will be all that different but we will see.  

Why they release this Christmas time I have no idea, why not just do around Halloween or around Thanksgiving...  And with streaming services as if release dates are even that important or as if the box office is the main concept they are going for.  

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is probably the best Vampire movie in the last 20 years granted it is mostly about the visuals and the music and not so much about the vampire girl...  Let the Right One In 2008 is right there as well despite the lack of money to make solid graphics in a few scenes.  Interview with a Vampire might be my favorite Vampire film but yeah there is not a ton of competition, not many really great ones out there.  Heck Blade could be one of the best Vampire films all time.  

Was surprised it was a Christmas release too

I loved the witch, and the lighthouse (though yeah it was very weird). Northmen was fine, expected more from it.

Second that about, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is great, loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, I think Gladiator 2 looks like it could be solid.  The first is possibly my favorite movie, so I had an extreme amount of skepticism when hearing this was finally happening, but I think i'm in.

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Surprisingly, I think Gladiator 2 looks like it could be solid.  The first is possibly my favorite movie, so I had an extreme amount of skepticism when hearing this was finally happening, but I think i'm in.

Looks good but terrible music choice for the trailer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm going to watch it but that trailer was very not good. Denzel looks like he was terribly miscast.

Edited by skywindO2

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Looks good but terrible music choice for the trailer

The trailer for the original Gladiator featured Kid Rock's Bawitdaba and likened gladiatorial combat to the NFL.  Didn't see a GOAT film score and oscar worthy movie coming then.  I don't expect that now, but the pieces are there to be entertaining, which is the only bar i'm looking to get above.

• Like 3

Smart move to push it back in order to allow viewers to see the first one on VOD and Max. If they enjoy it, they’re more likely to see the sequels in theaters.  

Since it’s already being distributed by WB, I wonder if Costner could recut these as episodes for a Horizon TV series on Max with.  Altho I have no idea what the financial implications of that would be esp considering Costner has already sunk $38m of his own money into Horizon already. 

On 7/9/2024 at 3:56 PM, THE DUKE said:

The trailer for the original Gladiator featured Kid Rock's Bawitdaba and likened gladiatorial combat to the NFL.  Didn't see a GOAT film score and oscar worthy movie coming then.  I don't expect that now, but the pieces are there to be entertaining, which is the only bar i'm looking to get above.

Complaining about anachronistic music in a movie makes me question if you've ever seen a movie before.

It's a movie that heavily features men fighting to the death. You don't want to hear some badass modern music while you're watching it?? Couldn't be me.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Complaining about anachronistic music in a movie makes me question if you've ever seen a movie before.

It's a movie that heavily features men fighting to the death. You don't want to hear some badass modern music while you're watching it?? Couldn't be me.

Just seemed very out of place to me, and I like that song.  Hell, I saw Kid Rock as part of the Summer Sanitarium Tour back in 2001, he put on a hell of a show.

The opening scene of A Knight's Tale supposes that the guitar riff at the end of We Will Rock You is coming from about a dozen men playing brass wind instruments without any valves. They perform a choreographed dance in a castle ballroom in the 14th century to David Bowie. And it rules. Sure, period specific scores are fine sometimes, but I want to be entertained first and foremost, like @THE DUKE said, especially from a sequel to the movie that specifically posed the question "are you not entertained?".