Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

Just now, BroncosFan2010 said:

Just watched the preview for Suburbicon and it looks like great fun. Hints of a Cohen brothers movie but directed by Clooney.

It looks like a major miss to me.  Like it tries too hard to be classic Cohen brothers and instead comes off as a poor imitation.  Plus, Clooney isn't a good director at all.  Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is okay, and it got more praise than it deserved because it was his first.  Good Night, and Good Luck was alright.  Leatherheads was awful, awful.  The Ides of March was horribly pretentiously bad, and The Monuments Men was bad. 

Clooney basically doesn't do anything new in directing and he's far too pretentious to ever get good at it.  They don't make an entire episode of his smugness for nothing. 

It looks like a major miss to me.  Like it tries too hard to be classic Cohen brothers and instead comes off as a poor imitation.

Agree to disagree. Looks fun if nothing else.

I agree with Clooney regarding his direction as of late, but lets remember this is the man that got South Park discovered in the first place. He once was pretty level headed (SP and Confessions days), then got super smug, and the tone of this film makes me hope he may have grounded himself a bit. But who knows. I will hold out hope because I love a nice dark comedy.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Down for that! Wonder who the other mutants will be. Domino going to be in it like Cable? Psylock? Probably not Wolverine

I don't know.  It could be a good opportunity for Fox to introduce a new Wolverine without the character taking over the X-Men films like Jackman did.  If the new Wolverine works out, you can then build off that character.  If people hate the new one, then you can always move on when they feel like re-introducing Wolverine back into the X-Men in maybe 10 years or so.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't know.  It could be a good opportunity for Fox to introduce a new Wolverine without the character taking over the X-Men films like Jackman did.  If the new Wolverine works out, you can then build off that character.  If people hate the new one, then you can always move on when they feel like re-introducing Wolverine back into the X-Men in maybe 10 years or so.

Wolverine is too big a property to re-cast in an ensemble lead by another "hero". If they include Wolverine, I hope the make use of Cables timey whimey and its Laura from post Logan

X23 being a clone means they can just wake her up in this timeline.  They don't need much explanation at all really.  This movie seems a fun opportunity to bring a few different xmen casts together.  Psylocke, Archangel, X-23, the deadpool cast, maybe even Gambit.  Goddard is usually on my wavelength, so I look forward to whatever they do.

14 hours ago, Dingo18287 said:

Anyone else going to be watching American Assassin, which opens this week? I've read all the books by original author, Vince Flynn. If you like spy, CIA, Middle East stuff, highly recommend it. 

14 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Movie doesn't look that good to me.

I too have read all the books on Mitch Rapp, and Vince Flynn is a close second for me (behind Tom Clancy) for that genre. As someone who really grew to like the character, I feel excited to see it come to life on the big screen.

Unfortunately... I have to agree that the movie trailer looks like it is going to disappoint, and I'm concerned the franchise will tank as a result. The biggest thing for me though, looking at the trailer... Dylan O'Brien to me just does not embody who Mitch Rapp is. If anything, Taylor Kitsch would be the perfect casting. But by going with Dylan it seems they want a young actor to kick off the whole series (hopefully), so I cross my fingers and hope that it turns out good.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:41 AM, THE DUKE said:

I was thinking the same thing.  X-Force has seen countless incarnations and lineups.  Wolverine could play a small role and Fox can gauge the reaction to a new version of him.  Deadpool leading X-Force is much more of a forced fit and they greenlit that. LoL

19 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Deadpool leading X-Force is much more of a forced fit and they greenlit that. LoL

Fox has set Drew Goddard to write and direct X-Force, the X-Men universe pic that revolves around Deadpool and Cable leading a Black Ops force of down and dirty mutant warriors who are far more ruthless than their X-Men counterparts.

Check the bold. Cable is likely the hierarchy leader of the group, while Deadpool is probably just the leading character. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Check the bold. Cable is likely the hierarchy leader of the group, while Deadpool is probably just the leading character. 

It's still Fox forcing Deadpool into spots he wouldn't normally be but Marvel has been doing the same with him for years.  They take a super popular character and stick him anywhere and everywhere.  I'd rather see Deadpool be an outside force getting in X-Force's way.  

11 hours ago, thrILL! said:
13 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

It's still Fox forcing Deadpool into spots he wouldn't normally be but Marvel has been doing the same with him for years.  They take a super popular character and stick him anywhere and everywhere.  I'd rather see Deadpool be an outside force getting in X-Force's way.  

Not sure what youre talking about... Deadpool is a staple in X-Force, appearing in the earliest issues in 1991. Cable is also the first ever leader of X-Force. Seems like Fox is following the source material pretty well.