Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

3 minutes ago, Crickett said:

They were originally supposed to be released in 2014 and 2015.  They just started filming recently. 

They actually start filming next week.  It's no secret that they've been pushed back multiple times, and that's why I think Cameron isn't just in it for the money.  If he was then I think he would have just made them and cashed in.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

They actually start filming next week.  It's no secret that they've been pushed back multiple times, and that's why I think Cameron isn't just in it for the money.  If he was then I think he would have just made them and cashed in.

Oh good lord, so much for "Full-Tilt" Production. 

AKIRA_(1988_poster).jpg

Taika Waititi now in talks for the live-action Akiramovie

Warner Bros. controls the rights to make a live-action version of iconic anime film/manga series Akira, and the studio is clearly getting so desperate to do something with those rights that it seems to just be throwing the project at any cool filmmaker with some buzz in hopes of getting them to direct it. Earlier this year, Warner Bros. offered Akira to Jordan Peele (who was fresh off of the success of Get Out), but he turned it down because he’d rather do more original films.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, Deadline’s description of the plot says it takes place in “New Manhattan” and that it’s about a biker who “saves his friend from a medical experiment,” so maybe it’ll be better if this keeps gathering dust on Warner Bros.’ shelf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had hoped this idea would be scrapped, & common sense would prevail. But, it seems Hollywood is determined to see this live-action adaptation happen.  

If Hollywood was to vanish from the face of the earth, it would be fine by me.  

Edited by Marc MacGyver

4 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

AKIRA_(1988_poster).jpg

Taika Waititi now in talks for the live-action Akiramovie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had hoped this idea would be scrapped, & common sense would prevail. But, it seems Hollywood is determined to see this live-action adaption happen.  

If Hollywood was to vanish from the face of the earth, it would be fine by me.  

If hollywood vanished, who finances all the good movies....?

3 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

If hollywood vanished, who finances all the good movies....?

I realise comic book fans are loving HW right now, but I knew it'd only be a matter of time before they moved into new territories & started making Manga/Anime adaptations.  

If they'd get lost, & stick strictly to comic adaptations, I'd let it slide. Because all they ever do is ruin the material for nothing more than a money grab.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc MacGyver said:

I realise comic book fans are loving HW right now, but I knew it'd only be a matter of time before they moved into new territories & started making Manga/Anime adaptations.  

If they'd get lost, & stick strictly to comic adaptations, I'd let it slide. Because all they ever do is ruin the material for nothing more than a money grab.   

Yeah no that's not true at all. You can't ruin the material, you can make a horrible adaptation of the material but you can never ruin the original source material. You can ruin the potential of getting a sequel or a potential series of movies out of that source material though.

As for money grabs, every film is a money grab. There will always be pure cash grabs from studios (Emoji movie is literally the worst example) there will always be filmakers who try to make good films and try to stay accurate to the material (Edgar Wright and Scott pilgrim etc.) there will always be attempts at adapting material going horribly horribly wrong (Suicide squad, fan4stic etc.) 

19 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Yeah no that's not true at all. You can't ruin the material, you can make a horrible adaptation of the material but you can never ruin the original source material. You can ruin the potential of getting a sequel or a potential series of movies out of that source material though.

As for money grabs, every film is a money grab. There will always be pure cash grabs from studios (Emoji movie is literally the worst example) there will always be filmakers who try to make good films and try to stay accurate to the material (Edgar Wright and Scott pilgrim etc.) there will always be attempts at adapting material going horribly horribly wrong (Suicide squad, fan4stic etc.) 

The bit you put in bold was referring to Manga/Anime, not comic book, or novel  adaptations. I'm aware that HW has had quite a few success stories with regard to adapting western material. Unfortunately, it's been the complete opposite with similar material from the east. 

I agree you can never completely ruin the source material, but you can create a poor representation of that material & broadcast it to a much larger audience.

It bothers me that a bad HW remake of Akira will likely be the first & only impression of the outstanding source material manga, & the brilliant (1988) animated film adaptation.

I'm only a fan of live-action remakes if they genuinely add something to the legacy left by prior works. 

In all honesty, I'd much rather they repackage & rerelease - Akira (1988 / Subtitle / Original Dub ) - across all platforms. Imo, that'd be a better way to introduce a new generation to Akira.

Ultimately, I can whine all I want... The live-action movie is eventually going to be made, whether I like it or not.

Edited by Marc MacGyver
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

The bit you put in bold was referring to Manga/Anime, not comic book, or novel  adaptations. I'm aware that HW has had quite a few success stories with regard to adapting western material. Unfortunately, it's been the complete opposite with similar material from the east. 

I agree you can never completely ruin the source material, but you can create a poor representation of that material & broadcast it to a much larger audience.

It bothers me that a bad HW remake of Akira will likely be the first & only impression of the outstanding source material manga, & the brilliant (1988) animated film adaptation.

I'm only a fan of live-action remakes if they genuinely add something to the legacy left by prior works. 

In all honesty, I'd much rather they repackage & rerelease - Akira (1988 / Subtitle / Original Dub ) - across all platforms. Imo, that'd be a better way to introduce a new generation to Akira.

Ultimately, I can whine all I want... The live-action movie is eventually going to be made, whether I like it or not.

Fair enough.

17 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Absolutely YES to the original dub!  I'm so glad I was able to find that audio track. After watching Akira countless times with it, the change was a horrific mistake and I can't watch the redubbed version.  

I was actually on board with the live action version with the Hughes brothers directing.  Akira is a property that they would crush.  But once they bailed, so did I. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Absolutely YES to the original dub!  I'm so glad I was able to find that audio track. After watching Akira countless times with it, the change was a horrific mistake and I can't watch the redubbed version.  

I was actually on board with the live action version with the Hughes brothers directing.  Akira is a property that they would crush.  But once they bailed, so did I. 

Apparently they didn't want to do 2 films. I mean the manga is 2100 pages long and you can't honestly expect to get it all in 1 movie.