Is Nick Foles the Biggest One Shot Wonder in NFL History?

footbull3196

Is Nick Foles the biggest one shot wonder in NFL history?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is Nick Foles the biggest one shot wonder in NFL history?

• Yes
    • No, it's someone else

Robert Griffin is in the conversation.  That man was treated like a star the entire season.  Damn near everyone (including myself) bought into it and a lot of people thought he was everything Michael Vick was supposed to be.  He was supposed to be the next big thing.  Better than Luck, Cam, Wilson, or any of the QBs who had just come into the league.

Alas.

41 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Brad Johnson? A mediocre journeyman career spanning multiple teams then...BOOM he's the man during their Super Bowl season, 22 TD's only 6 interceptions. And that was with Alstott stealing Brad's fantasy points (remember the Dunn commercial?)

None of Johnson's other seasons were impressive. Just that one year, 2002. 

1999 Johnson was really good with the Redskins. 

26 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Robert Griffin is in the conversation.  That man was treated like a star the entire season.  Damn near everyone (including myself) bought into it and a lot of people thought he was everything Michael Vick was supposed to be.  He was supposed to be the next big thing.  Better than Luck, Cam, Wilson, or any of the QBs who had just come into the league.

Alas.

I think we might have a winner here.

Aside from RGIII, Michael Clayton is pretty much the definition. Almost 1,200 yards as a rookie and never finished with above 500 in any season the rest of his career, and only had 3 TD's the rest of his career.

An under the radar guy is Derek Anderson. He was a Pro Bowler in 2007 (albeit not without his flaws) and led the Browns to a 10-6 record. He's still a backup QB in the NFL, but boy, did he fall off quickly (albeit not unforeseen). Peyton Hillis is another.

Icky Woods had a major knee injury that he never really recovered from and wasn't the same (same with Greg Cook and his rotator cuff).

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Aside from RGIII, Michael Clayton is pretty much the definition. Almost 1,200 yards as a rookie and never finished with above 500 in any season the rest of his career, and only had 3 TD's the rest of his career.

An under the radar guy is Derek Anderson. He was a Pro Bowler in 2007 (albeit not without his flaws) and led the Browns to a 10-6 record. He's still a backup QB in the NFL, but boy, did he fall off quickly (albeit not unforeseen). Peyton Hillis is another.

Icky Woods had a major knee injury that he never really recovered from and wasn't the same (same with Greg Cook and his rotator cuff).

If we are doing players other than QB, Germaine Crowell from the Lions comes to mind. That dude came and went in a big way.

1 minute ago, Non-Issue said:

If we are doing players other than QB, Germaine Crowell from the Lions comes to mind. That dude came and went in a big way.

Peerless Price is the one that came to mind for me.  94 catches for 1252 yards with Buffalo in 2002 as their #2 receiver next to Eric Moulds, then the Falcons get fooled and trade a 1st round pick for him thinking that he can be their #1 receiver.  It almost never works out trying to make a #2 receiver into a #1

2 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

This is why I think Chip Kelly should be given more credit as a head coach.  He put up back to back 10 win season with Foles and Sanchez as his quarterbacks.  Anyone who can do that has my respect.  The issue was when they gave him total control

Also,  it is a bit surprising to move on from a coach so quickly after giving him full control.  It was a pleasant surprise.  

Foles and Sanchez also started those seasons as backups.  He did inherit a talented roster though.  The year he had full control and his starting qb for 16 games he went 6-9.  

Maybe the secret to Foles is he must begin the season as a backup.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Last year was magical for the Eagles. Foles played a Jeff Hostetler-like role. I don't think "one shot wonder" exactly fits him. Derek Anderson was a one year wonder. Foles found success in 2 different years, one was regular season success and the other was postseason success. Definitely not a one shot wonder.

??

One shot wonder? Are you forgetting his all time great, statistically speaking, 2013 season? Or his MVP caliber QBing in the CC and SB last year? Also seems asinine to close the book on him less than a year after he made a fool out all of us who prematurely closed the book on him. He's not even 30 yet, he'll have more opportunities, and if I had to guess, he's got one more magic run in him. 

Archived