Are the Redskins criminally underrated?

BayRaider

Can they be this years Eagles?

Can this finally be the year for Alex Smith? 

The Redskins have looked very solid thus far. Jay Gruden has been my favorite offensive system in the league for a while (if he had a guy like Rodgers... beware NFL). 

- 2nd Ranked Defense thus far (this will probably get a little worse)

- 10th Ranked Offense (this will get a little better)

^ Both of these probably end up perfectly balanced around 7th

- Alex Smith seems to be fitting well. 

- Defense is solid

- They just embarressed the Packers. Out played in every phase of the game. 

- AP looks fantastic. Sure he might slow down, but I don't think it'll be as drastic as people imply. 

I don't know if they are good enough to win it all but I can definitely see a division title upset over the Eagles, and at the very very least, a wildcard berth. 

The problem with the win against the Packers is that Aaron Rodgers wasn't the Aaron Rodgers we know. He was on one leg and it was rainy out. On top of all of that, he had his WRs dropping easy balls left and right. If the Redskins had everything going for them (An early lead, rainy/bad weather, and help from the refs), they control the clock, game flow and are hard to come back against. If we give up an early lead and we need Alex Smith to play catch up, we're in trouble. I honestly don't know who this Redskins team is. Looked great against the Cardinals and Packers, horrendous against the Colts. 

21 minutes ago, SeanTaylorsaPIMP said:

The problem with the win against the Packers is that Aaron Rodgers wasn't the Aaron Rodgers we know. He was on one leg and it was rainy out. On top of all of that, he had his WRs dropping easy balls left and right. If the Redskins had everything going for them (An early lead, rainy/bad weather, and help from the refs), they control the clock, game flow and are hard to come back against. If we give up an early lead and we need Alex Smith to play catch up, we're in trouble. I honestly don't know who this Redskins team is. Looked great against the Cardinals and Packers, horrendous against the Colts. 

To answer you last question it's because the Colts defense is ranked 14th in total defense while the Packers and Cardinals are both in the the bottom 10.

I think they're probably a bit underrated, but I wouldn't go as far as to say criminally underrated. 

They've got a fierce pass rush and if the run game is going, which it should more than not in theory with their OL, Alex Smith will efficiently move the chains for you, and they can grind a lot of teams down that way.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Can they be this years Eagles?

Unlikely.  

Can this finally be the year for Alex Smith? 

Even more unlikely.

The Redskins have looked very solid thus far.

They pounded arguably the worst team in the league (Cardinals), laid an egg against the Colts at home, and beat a hobbled Aaron Rodgers.  Meh.  

- 2nd Ranked Defense thus far (this will probably get a little worse)

Their run defense has improved, but their edge rushers have been completely absent so far.  The defense still gives up big plays at times.  TBD imo.  

- 10th Ranked Offense (this will get a little better)

This will go down not up IMO.  We've been riding Adrian Peterson who's legs will likely give out midseason.  We don't have another reasonable first down option on the roster.  Alex Smith is highly dependent on a good rushing attack and our WRs are pretty mediocre.  Plus Jordan Reed will inevitably get injured.  

I don't know if they are good enough to win it all but I can definitely see a division title upset over the Eagles, and at the very very least, a wildcard berth.

I still have them at 7-9.

30 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Unlikely.  

Even more unlikely.

They pounded arguably the worst team in the league (Cardinals), laid an egg against the Colts at home, and beat a hobbled Aaron Rodgers.  Meh.  

Their run defense has improved, but their edge rushers have been completely absent so far.  The defense still gives up big plays at times.  TBD imo.  

This will go down not up IMO.  We've been riding Adrian Peterson who's legs will likely give out midseason.  We don't have another reasonable first down option on the roster.  Alex Smith is highly dependent on a good rushing attack and our WRs are pretty mediocre.  Plus Jordan Reed will inevitably get injured.  

I still have them at 7-9.

I'll put them at 9-7 with a wildcard berth. 

solid team that could earn a wild card spot but with the way the NFC south is playing could be hard.

They cant move the ball down the field. Its not Alex Smith fault the WR are straight up bum sauce garbage. My hope is they go to 2 te set with Vernon Davis and stretch the field with him.

They are prob an 8 and 8 team at worst and a 10 and 6 at best. I dont think 10 and 6 earns a wildcard berth this year.

The problem with the our offense is that, if Jay Gruden is up at half-time, he will switch to his prevent offense.  Run, run, pass.  He needs to keep the pedal down, and keep the attack up- it's what Belichick does.  Run the ball out late in the fourth, don't start it immediately at the start of the third quarter.  

The defense is going to make or break this team.  Right now, the defensive line is ferocious under Tom Sula.  He's got plenty of high-end talent to work with- Allen and Payne- but he resurrected the career of Matt Ionnidis, and has the rest of the rotation playing very well, and they are supplemented by Ryan Kerrigan (talk about criminally underrated, this is a criminally underrated player) and Preston Smith off the outside.  

The secondary has to withstand injury.  We do not have much at safety behind the starters DJ Swearinger (who has played extremely well since coming to DC) and Montae Nicholson.  The same goes at corner, where we have a shutdown corner in Josh Norman, an above average starter in Quinton Dunbar, and Fabian Moreau has played well in the slot.  Again, there isn't much behind them, and I will be interested to see how this unit plays against a team with multiple weapons like New Orleans.

3 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

solid team that could earn a wild card spot but with the way the NFC south is playing could be hard.

They cant move the ball down the field. Its not Alex Smith fault the WR are straight up bum sauce garbage. My hope is they go to 2 te set with Vernon Davis and stretch the field with him.

They are prob an 8 and 8 team at worst and a 10 and 6 at best. I dont think 10 and 6 earns a wildcard berth this year.

This is what they did Sunday against the Packers- Davis had multiple catches downfield.  Both Jordan Reed and Jameson Crowder worked the intermediate routes.  Josh Doctson is looking like a bust, and I thought the Paul Richardson signing was going to be a bust.  He had a great downfield catch last week, and I hope it's a sign of things to come, but I won't hold my breath.  

54 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I think they're probably a bit underrated, but I wouldn't go as far as to say criminally underrated. 

They've got a fierce pass rush and if the run game is going, which it should more than not in theory with their OL, Alex Smith will efficiently move the chains for you, and they can grind a lot of teams down that way.

I'll put them in the playoff hunt, but it wouldn't surprise me if they failed to make the playoffs entirely. I'd give them somewhere between 8-10 wins right now.

My hot take on the Redskins:

This is the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde team in the NFL. One week, they'll destory the Cardinals, the next they'll lay an absolute goose egg at home against the Colts. Don't hate them, appreciate them for what they are. And expect them to lose to the Cowboys, the next they'll beat the Eagles.

Archived