Roughing the passer

Golfman

The competition committee knows it screwed the pooch with these new rules, but won't do anything about it. At least not this season as it already cost one team (OURS) a game this year. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966516/article/competition-committee-uncomfortable-with-roughing-calls

"The league could be reluctant to pull back on a rule with its base in player safety."

This line in the story is such bull****. It isn't for player safety, it is for the QB's safety, plain and simple. A guy tore his ACL trying to adjust and not get a flag for roughing the passer last week. No one shed a tear for his injury or lost season. They are better just making the QB a 2 hand touch guy and he's down then. I'm not joking this has gotten so out of hand, it's ridiculous. It is hurting the game. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The competition committee knows it screwed the pooch with these new rules, but won't do anything about it. At least not this season as it already cost one team (OURS) a game this year. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966516/article/competition-committee-uncomfortable-with-roughing-calls

"The league could be reluctant to pull back on a rule with its base in player safety."

This line in the story is such bull****. It isn't for player safety, it is for the QB's safety, plain and simple. A guy tore his ACL trying to adjust and not get a flag for roughing the passer last week. No one shed a tear for his injury or lost season. They are better just making the QB a 2 hand touch guy and he's down then. I'm not joking this has gotten so out of hand, it's ridiculous. It is hurting the game. 

It's probably not the smart move, but I would tell Matthews to keep doing what he's doing .. hit the qb and hit him hard.  Trying to wrap them up instead is just going to lead to missed tackles and potential big plays down the field.  Khalil Mack had an interesting interview the other day .. he said he basically attacks the ball and not the QB's body.  He's a special athlete though .. not sure many can play his game.

Imo we’ll see the same thing we’ve seen with DPI in some of the previous years. There will be no statement from the competition committee or anyone else in the front office, but quietly you’ll see less and less of those controversial calls over the course of the season. The league will wait a few years and then try to push through a revised version.

Has the players association released any statements about their official stance on the new rules and enforcement? 

All I know is it's BS.  "Protecting" Alex Smith from that Matthews hit and not "protecting" Rodgers from that Payne bodyslam just feels like legalized betting is already impacting games.  It's a penalty that can be thrown indiscriminately at any time in any game to majorly impact the outcome, and that's a step towards me being able to do what I did to the NBA to the NFL.  

40 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's probably not the smart move, but I would tell Matthews to keep doing what he's doing .. hit the qb and hit him hard.  Trying to wrap them up instead is just going to lead to missed tackles and potential big plays down the field.  Khalil Mack had an interesting interview the other day .. he said he basically attacks the ball and not the QB's body.  He's a special athlete though .. not sure many can play his game.

I think the Steelers played it right. Keeping QBs edgy leads to turnovers, even if you give up penalties.

Plus there's the off chance the officials don't flag it too. Because consistency.

5 minutes ago, Striker said:

I think the Steelers played it right. Keeping QBs edgy leads to turnovers, even if you give up penalties.

Plus there's the off chance the officials don't flag it too. Because consistency.

That's my thought ... guessing they are going to start calling it less and less as the season goes on.  The QB must go down .. and he must go down hard.

Not that it matters but I have yet to watch a game since our game on Sunday. I will only watch our games period until this gets fixed. I did not get Sunday ticket this year or Dazn which i had last year and many previous years. Even though all our games were on TV I get those to ensure i do. I'm for player safety and all players for that matter. I'm for protecting the QB but it's gotten just too far out there.

When a player can't use a fundamental tech to do his job then there is an issue. Body slams, running lauch hits, shoulder hits and such are all blatant but proper form tackles even with a dive being called is just big wrong. Better yet show us what they are supposed to do, i got the helmet rule it makes sense if they could call it correctly. 

The game i grew up playing and loving was tackle football, not spear, launch or dive at knees football it was tackle football. Too much money riding on this game now which has killed it on both sides of the ball and with the league and it's rules. Most sport is like this now.

They don't have to change the rule, just tweak the way its enforced. Remember this year's exhibition season saw a lot of flags for guys using their helmets while tackling. Yet, there is basically zero talk about this issue, because the refs are using common sense to apply the rule. That is all it will take- letting the refs know that unless it is an obvious and flagrant attempt to hurt a QB, they keep their flags in their pockets. But then again, the last few years, particularly under Goodell, and especially since the Ray Rice debacle, the NFL has been in a react, retract, then overreact, then try to find a way out of their self-imposed problem making. What to do about abusers? We'll be lax, then tough, then it depends on which team signs the abuser. What is a catch? That seems to be somewhat settled at this point- though why something that was understood for decades suddenly was controversial is a testament to the incompetence of Goodell and his overpaid cohorts. Brady out for the year with a knee injury? Can't tackle a QB below a certain point. After decades of covering up head trauma, suddenly embrace it and create new rules that are inconsistently enforced. Rodgers out for the year after what should have been a flagged hit? Create a new rule where, effectively, tackling the QB is not allowed. Now, when people complain, first double/triple down, but ultimately, they'll quietly "change the emphasis". Unless someone, somewhere wants to see the SB decided on a "roughing the passer" call. Mark Cuban was right. The NFL is becoming a worse product every year, and the overpaid hacks in charge are like the valet on the Titanic, who, when asked what was wrong, said "Its OK, we're just getting more ice."

You have to change the rule because the guys doing the 'tackling' are making moves to NOT get a flag and are going to get hurt. That right there means it is NOT about player safety. You have to let guys play football the way they've been taught for 20 years. 

22 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You have to change the rule because the guys doing the 'tackling' are making moves to NOT get a flag and are going to get hurt. That right there means it is NOT about player safety. You have to let guys play football the way they've been taught for 20 years. 

This rule will get shadow-revised like DPI did a while back where they're just going to stop calling the questionable ones. 

They can't walk back a rule for player safety straight up, but they can stop enforcing it. We just have to live with it until it happens. 

2 hours ago, ricky said:

They don't have to change the rule, just tweak the way its enforced. Remember this year's exhibition season saw a lot of flags for guys using their helmets while tackling. Yet, there is basically zero talk about this issue, because the refs are using common sense to apply the rule. That is all it will take- letting the refs know that unless it is an obvious and flagrant attempt to hurt a QB, they keep their flags in their pockets. But then again, the last few years, particularly under Goodell, and especially since the Ray Rice debacle, the NFL has been in a react, retract, then overreact, then try to find a way out of their self-imposed problem making. What to do about abusers? We'll be lax, then tough, then it depends on which team signs the abuser. What is a catch? That seems to be somewhat settled at this point- though why something that was understood for decades suddenly was controversial is a testament to the incompetence of Goodell and his overpaid cohorts. Brady out for the year with a knee injury? Can't tackle a QB below a certain point. After decades of covering up head trauma, suddenly embrace it and create new rules that are inconsistently enforced. Rodgers out for the year after what should have been a flagged hit? Create a new rule where, effectively, tackling the QB is not allowed. Now, when people complain, first double/triple down, but ultimately, they'll quietly "change the emphasis". Unless someone, somewhere wants to see the SB decided on a "roughing the passer" call. Mark Cuban was right. The NFL is becoming a worse product every year, and the overpaid hacks in charge are like the valet on the Titanic, who, when asked what was wrong, said "Its OK, we're just getting more ice."

Goodell is the one called out for watering down the NFL product.  In the NFL's thirst for more fans and ratings, they are attempting to make the sport more appealing to those that only know the superstars of the sport, ie the quarterbacks.  Goodell is also reacting to those that have written and stated that the sport is too dangerous.  Those stories have caused too many parents to say that their kids will not be allowed to play the sport.  The owners desiring to protect their golden egg put pressure on Goodell to respond to the crisis.

Most attorney's I know are liability adverse...So they tend to overreact.  Goodell is one such attorney.  He reacts by taking away the low hits on QB's, taking away the high hits on QB's, now taking away almost all tackling of QB's.  When even the star quarterbacks are saying they are being protected too much, its time for a meeting and a clarification on the rules.  Hopefully this meeting occurs and then they clearly communicate to all of the teams how the rule (or the interpretation of it) is going to be tweaked.  The NFL is starting to lose the confidence of their loyal hard core fan base.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

The NFL will not change the rule during the season. What they can do is simply make it more common sense. In short, don't call roughing unless the tackler is obviously trying to cause severe bodily harm to the QB. Like Matthews did in the Chicago game, when he hit Trubisky well after the ball was out of his hands. That call was legit. The other two were nonsense. Because the calls are getting more and more ridiculous. The roughing the passer calls have more than DOUBLED from last year. We can only hope the NFL will finally come its senses, and dial back the enforcement to a sensible level.

5 hours ago, ricky said:

The NFL will not change the rule during the season. What they can do is simply make it more common sense. In short, don't call roughing unless the tackler is obviously trying to cause severe bodily harm to the QB. Like Matthews did in the Chicago game, when he hit Trubisky well after the ball was out of his hands. That call was legit. The other two were nonsense. Because the calls are getting more and more ridiculous. The roughing the passer calls have more than DOUBLED from last year. We can only hope the NFL will finally come its senses, and dial back the enforcement to a sensible level.

If they don't change the rule then they need to stop pretending it's about player safety. It's not, it's only about QB safety. Forcing defenders into becoming a contortionist while tackling a QB is going to get more injured. Seriously, just make it 2-handed touch for a QB in the pocket. Then we'll know they are 'serious' about safety. Otherwise, let them play football. 

As sick as it may sound, we tune in for the violence, in part. 

Archived