Roughing the passer

Golfman

31 minutes ago, ricky said:

Well, there was no body weight put on the QB, so obviously there was no foul. And as long as he didn't pick him up and drive hlm into the ground (if you remember Charles Martin picking up and planting Jim McMahon head first into the turf) then apparently there is no foul. Though my guess would be if Matthews had done what Donald did, there would have been a flag. Seriously, CMIII has been targetted. 

I dont disagree. Honestly - watching that one play by Donald - there was more potential injury to the QB than either of the form tackles CM put on Cousins or Smith.

Well, it looks like the NFL heard the huge chorus of criticism about the RTP,  and decided to dial back the "emphasis" of the old rule, which had been working fine. Yes, Rodgers got hurt on what I truly believe was an unnecessary hit. But, no flag was thrown, and the league didn't fine Barr for the hit. So, was that a mistake? Should they have fined Barr or suspended him a game or two so for his excessive hit? Whatever, because they didn't. Instead, they overreaacted, and cost the Packers a win instead of a tie. We could chase this threory down the rabbit hole as deep as you want, but the initial lack of QB/player protection last season had unexpected consequences. Hopefully, since even Matthews got a sack without a flag being thrown (a first this year), maybe there is a return to sanity.. 

20 hours ago, ricky said:

Well, it looks like the NFL heard the huge chorus of criticism about the RTP,  and decided to dial back the "emphasis" of the old rule, which had been working fine. Yes, Rodgers got hurt on what I truly believe was an unnecessary hit. But, no flag was thrown, and the league didn't fine Barr for the hit. So, was that a mistake? Should they have fined Barr or suspended him a game or two so for his excessive hit? Whatever, because they didn't. Instead, they overreaacted, and cost the Packers a win instead of a tie. We could chase this threory down the rabbit hole as deep as you want, but the initial lack of QB/player protection last season had unexpected consequences. Hopefully, since even Matthews got a sack without a flag being thrown (a first this year), maybe there is a return to sanity.. 

Or just more inconsistency. I saw a few guys land with all their body weight on QB's one called another one not. 

32 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm still frustrated by it .. clearly it cost us a W.  The Packers deserved victory up to that point, and it was flat out stolen away from them.

I dont recall the time left on the clock when Alex intercepted that pass - but I recall it was late and seemed to be the dagger.
Until it wasnt.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont recall the time left on the clock when Alex intercepted that pass - but I recall it was late and seemed to be the dagger.
Until it wasnt.

It was late enough that a few kneel downs would have ended it.

Archived