Titans Roster Moves ( updated: Logan Ryan to IR. Durden to 53, President to Practice Squad)

TitanLegend

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

So because it’s a weakness means we should just completely eliminate the option?

Right, we need to know what we have in Marcus before we extend this guy, because it’s either we’re going to try & win with him or find his replacement 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Right, we need to know what we have in Marcus before we extend this guy, because it’s either we’re going to try & win with him or find his replacement 

I mean, short to intermediate passes inside the numbers are clearly his strength, so having a deep threat that works outside the numbers would only bolster that strength since it would draw the defense away from the short to intermediate routes inside the numbers.

DeSean Jackson is just a significantly better version of Taywan Taylor, and it’s pretty clear that the coaching staff wanted Taylor to take on a fairly significant role. He has plenty of experience working the slot and making plays on crossers and slants. Also is a real weapon on screens. If the price is really a fourth or fifth, I’d pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

lol @ the idea that DeSean Jackson is only a deep threat, and lol @ the idea we shouldn't go after him "because Mariota struggles with the deep ball" as if we haven't have multiple deep passes dropped this year that were perfectly placed.

I seriously struggle to understand the people of this forum sometimes. Like it literally blows my mind.

39 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

lol @ the idea that DeSean Jackson is only a deep threat, and lol @ the idea we shouldn't go after him "because Mariota struggles with the deep ball" as if we haven't have multiple deep passes dropped this year that were perfectly placed.

I seriously struggle to understand the people of this forum sometimes. Like it literally blows my mind.

Funny stuff, I tell ya.
Doesn't throw it deep, but threw it deep and in stride several times this season, for completions and incompletions.

Even if Jackson was to run intermediate routes, he could take those a distance with his speed and ability.  I guess we should never draft a guy with speed according to those feelings about Marcus.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

??my Dawg ??

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

There definitely is this as well. Obviously he doesn’t have an elite deep ball, but he’s also never really had a true deep threat. I think he got the real reputation surrounding his deep ball his rookie year, it’s not like it’s been noticeably bad since then.

Look I'll concede a bit. Obviously of we could get Desean for a 5th, its worth the gamble. My larger point is that I don't think there's the quick fix is out there that some people think. Take a chance? sure. Desean for a 5th is more sane than some of the hype and picks people put around Devante Parker and Demarious Thomas a few days ago.

But my point on Mariota remains, he doesn't attack outside the numbers. When was the last time you saw him throw from inside the pocket, outside the numbers? And not just deep, an out route completed? Or a back shoulder throw? Comeback routes?Those are staple throws of franchise QB's. They are quick throws designed to be easy completions against zone coverage. Those easy throws that keep DBs honest, keep the offense on schedule, and get a QB in rhythm. Even when he throws deep, its typically between the seams. He will attempt the post, a route which starts outside the numbers, but is thrown between the seams, but I don't see many corner routes. And its not a matter of ability imo, forgive me if I misspoke, its more about trust. I don't think he trusts those throws as much as he does throws over the middle. When he had Delanie making plays on the seam and a good run game capable of making play action viable, I dont believe this was as noticeable, it is now. I wish I had more access to all 22 footage, I would love to see what was open when he panics and pulls the ball down. He leaves alot of throws on the field imo. 

Just look at how the Ravens played us, they played press man and cover one. Think about why? If I don't fear you throwing outside the numbers then I don't need to give my corners help. They're on islands. Then I keep my FS right in center field, taking away the only deep third of the field that you feel confident attacking. I'm taking away your strength. I don't even need my other safety. He's in the box, spying Mariota, waiting for him to pull the ball down then attacking. Good defenses will continue to play him that way. 

Now you can hide this weakness if you can run the football. However that's something else we can't do consistently right now either. Which is leads to my animosity towards the interior oline, but thats a different story. But if we could consistently run the ball, play action and bootlegs would be a bigger part of the offense. Play action sucks up LBs, leading to more open space in the middle of the field for those intermediate crossers he loves. Bootlegs give him a run/pass option  and allows him to throw on the run, which is another strength. 

this is why I am against this 'throw anything against the wall' method of player acquisition. IMO, no new WR is going to earn his trust enough to make him confident making those throws in a few weeks. Sure Desean could play Taywans role better, and I'm down if its a day 3 pick. However, those throws I mentioned earlier, IMO that trust comes with 1000's of reps in the off season.

Its a shame they dont really practice during the bye. Mariota, Davis, Jonnu and Taywan could use an emergency mid season mini-camp to get back in sorts. But still, its why i say that the time to make moves was April and May, not October.

The difference between me and everyone else is everyone is screaming 'Jon!! make a move!!'

I'm screaming 'Jon why the hell didn't you make a move back in May when Rishard Mathews was banged up still and you knew your WRs were young? Why didn't you, at the very least, bring in competition for Taywan? Campanero doesn't count either. You essentially gave him the starting job in mini-camps with no legit competition. And we're paying for it now cuz the kid aint ready and your only vet went AWOL on you!!!!!' 

I know hind sight and all... but think about how nice John Brown's 1 yr 5 million dollar deal with the Ravens looks like next to some of the other bad money J Rob tossed out a few months ago'

J Rob's batting average is getting more and more shaky when it comes to free agent acquisitions

I was screaming wr foul at JRob in April /May and I'm screaming it still. It's such an obvious weakness... We were 1 move away from being severely limited, 2 from being decimated... And he we are. 

I'd still give a 3rd, or the equivalent for Parker. A 5th for DJax sounds like a good (safer) move, but that  screams more of a 1 year rental to me. A Parker move has potential for a long term move. 

I'm not making this move solely for this year. While I think it would help down the stretch and potentially the playoffs... I want whoever we bring in to be here all off-season working with our offense... Building a stronger rapport... Working towards a possible extension. 

I will say the moves of getting a Nick Williams and Campanero (sp?) were not good moves. The optimist in me was thinking that LaFluer offense would be able to use players of a certain skillset and generate/scheme them success. I mean Robert Woods was cool in Buffalo, but he is a monster with the Rams. Same with Kupp, I thought he was a good WR, but he has been excellent with the Rams. 
I put more faith in the system than the players, maybe Robinson did too. 

I thought we should have gone after Gabriel from the Falcons for one. And then the other list of WRs were also my targets. 

But Marcus is this franchise's QB.  He might not the be franchise QB for half the teams in the league, but I know the other half it could be heavily argued that they'd get rid of their starter for Marcus. We can all see his strengths and weaknesses.  In that same breath, just because it's not his strength, doesn't mean he can never make that play (i.e. long pass) and just because it's not his weakness, doesn't mean he might make a mistake. 

A good WR or pass catcher (TE) would make this offense so much better. It's like people have never seen a good WR/TE not transform an offense and hide the weakness of a team. Hopkins made countless Texans QB's look better and the offense what it was. Same with AJ Green, Stephon Diggs, Adam Theilen, Larry Fitzgerald for so many years, Alshon Jeffery, Greg Olsen for years with Cam, Delaine Walker for us..

So, yes, even if our interior line is questionable, can't run the ball effectively/consistently, don't have a QB with a rocket arm or who makes consistently accurate throws, a good/great pass catcher can hide/eliminate those concerns. 
I don't hear many complain about the lack of running game/offensive line play with the Vikings, when you have Thelien consistently making plays and has the Vikings as one of the top scoring teams in the league or that the Bucs have the top offense in the NFL (Yardage wise) despite having no running game. The 2nd best rushing team in the league has one of the worst records in the Niners.

This league you need pass catchers. More than one.  You might overpay your #3 WR so you can get a more competitive group. You need to put resources there. Falcons- Jones, Sanu, first round pick (Ridley)...just first that popped in my head. 

Anyway...just saying. I've always felt that we need to get more and more WRs. I've always loved getting good WRs in the draft or FA. You can get by with questionable play from other positions if you have a good group of WRs in today's NFL.  And don't take this as an ignore positions or look at what the Lions tried to do years ago. 
Smart calculated moves to get WR talent is what I'm saying. 

And yeah, we've put resources in that spot with #5 overall pick and Taylor and Jonnu. We can question Robinson with those moves. 
Thinking about our #5 overall pick. We don't think he is a bust. He hasn't had a OBJ start, but nobody in history has...

Look no further than the team we just played (Chargers).  They draft Mike Williams two spots after Davis (#7 overall). But he is probably their 3rd best WR with Williams and Allen. Now looking into their status it doesn't really strengthen my case..lol (Allen was an 3rd round pick and Williams was undrafted. LOL)  

But it does strengthen my WR argument. Those pass catchers have really strengthen that offense and made some of their weaknesses not as glaring.  

17 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

We just suck at identifying receiver talent as guys enter the league. Always have. Feels like we're snake-bitten.

Hard to say Kendall was good he just fell out of favor wit the mularkey, Kenny Britt was the complete package he just didn’t want to be great. Tyrone Calico 

Archived