NFL Comp Committee realizes they done messed up, reviewing RTP

RuskieTitan

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

The rule has been around for a long time.  Longer than just this season.  Never an issue before.  

There's been a rule around for a long time that if you tackle a QB in the torso that you can be flagged for it? Please show me this.

I'd consider an egregious act of the rule to be a defender scooping a QB and driving him into the ground, for example.

That I would agree with.

Regardless, people said the same thing when "hitting a defenseless receiver" became a thing. 

"Spearing" was always on the books and not enforced. I would argue that this is nowhere close to a 1:1 correlation.

There was a stretch where illegal contact was being enforced hard too. 

Yes, it still is.

I don't know if either was called as frequently as these RTP calls have been,

RTP is on over a 100% rise so far this year. 

but it was a problem for a period of time because the NFL made it a point of emphasis. 

Illegal contact killed cover 2/press man coverage. It's also evolved:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/evolution-of-the-nfl-rules/

You used to be able to "chuck the receiver once by a given defender after the receiver has gone 3 yards downfield". Now if it's outside of 5 yards, hands must be completely off. This is basically an entire different rule/clause/bylaw, so to say it's a "point of emphasis" is incorrect.

It is exactly what they are doing here.  Things will normalize itself out once they begin to lax on the calls.

Until it happens to Tom, Rodgers, Ben, Brees, etc. and not another team's QB because stars get some calls and others don't get them. Then it's bias/unfair.

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Nothing wrong with the play when watching it at normal speed.

If that's your QB you'd have a totally different tune. Wrong? I can't really disagree. Totally avoidable? Absolutely. 

No one wants to watch a Trevor Siemian or Kyle Sloter led Vikings team. Not NFL fans, not Vikings fans. The rule as in place is way too vague and confusing, but a rule to ban a hit like Barr's should be in place.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

No one wants to watch a Trevor Siemian or Kyle Sloter led Vikings team.

The Jets Browns game was one of the most watched Thursday night games in recent memory. And it was Tyrod v Darnold for most of the first half.

Ratings are going up. Nobody seems to care who the QBs are.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There's been a rule around for a long time that if you tackle a QB in the torso that you can be flagged for it? Please show me this.

Except that isn't the rule, you are just describing your own interpretation.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

They didn't make any new rule.  They just emphasized what was already there.  It's been illegal to use all of your body weight to land on the QB.  The issue right now is how strictly they are emphasizing it (it's literally under "points of emphasis").

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

The Jets Browns game was one of the most watched Thursday night games in recent memory. And it was Tyrod v Darnold for most of the first half.

Ratings are going up. Nobody seems to care who the QBs are.

The Browns were everyone's team that night. I wanted to see them win and to see if Baker played. No one is watching that game in 2017.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If that's your QB you'd have a totally different tune. Wrong? I can't really disagree. Totally avoidable? Absolutely. 

No one wants to watch a Trevor Siemian or Kyle Sloter led Vikings team. Not NFL fans, not Vikings fans. The rule as in place is way too vague and confusing, but a rule to ban a hit like Barr's should be in place.

No I wouldn't because it's a legit tackle. We made it through Christian Ponder and Tarvaris Jackson. I'd survive watching either one of those QBs play for the Vikings.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Just as I predicted. What a sham.

This is what the NFL does. Backs it's rules and the officials publicly, then changes the rule in secret. Have you seen a "lowering the helmet" penalty called this year? The real test on if anything changes will be the first time Clay Matthews touches a QB ha.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:30 PM, Epyon said:

Or basically..... The Green Bay guy on the rules comity, who pushed this asinine rule forward as a desperate attempt to keep Rodgers upright....Now has regrets because Clay Mathews is the player being most screwed over and it's ended up stacking the deck against the Packers rather than in their favor. Reversing this rule should get through easily, but it should only be allowed if we also remove the apparent exemption Green Bay offensive linemen get for unflagged offensive holding on every other play.

Trolling aside... Even as a rabid cheesehead hating Bears fan, who dislikes Clay Mathews on principle alone, I have to admit that the RTP penalties he's been getting weekly are asinine, with only his hit on Trubisky week 1 actually being flag worthy as RTP (for the late hit after the ball was thrown).  But even on that play, some consideration needs to given to the defender, as Mathews was lowering his shoulder while Trubisky was throwing and he was only a step late. It's a weird catch 22 situation where the defender really has trouble doing anything right.... If he doesn't lower his shoulder he gets targeting the head, if he lowers his shoulder too much, he gets leading with the helmet, and if he does what Mathews did and tries to properly tackle a guy, he might not be as able to see the ball coming out, let alone have enough time to stop 260lbs of mass moving 15-20MPH within a split second.

When did Mark Murphy push this rule and now says he has regrets?  I didn't see that.

58 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

The fact that i was saying people complaining about the rodgers hit is why we have these rules now....then you responded with something seemingly unrelated. 

I think you completely missed the point of the post.

People are complaining about calls that are nothing like that Rodgers hit being flagged.

As far as I know there was no rule change for this year, just emphasis on an existing rule, but is being applied contrary to how it is written.

That's what people are (rightfully) complaining about. That Rodgers hit is illegal per the rules, many hits flagged this year are not.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think you completely missed the point of the post.

People are complaining about calls that are nothing like that Rodgers hit being flagged.

As far as I know there was no rule change for this year, just emphasis on an existing rule, but is being applied contrary to how it is written.

That's what people are (rightfully) complaining about. That Rodgers hit is illegal per the rules, many hits flagged this year are not.

When there is conplaints about cupcake rules not being called they obviously are going to go ham on calling them. The calls are being called for the same thing that happened to rodgers. 

Nfl fans are like old goats, moaning over everything. 

Archived