Matthew Stafford Expectations

CWood21

After coming off a tremendous 2016 season, expectations should be reasonably high for Matthew Stafford.  He had arguably his best season as a pro?  What do you guys expect from him this year?  Is expecting 4500 passing yards, and keeping up a strong TD/INT ratio too much in terms of expectations?  Or do the Lions try to establish a stronger run game and take some passing attempts away from Stafford?

@ahoda @CalLionsFan @EhJae @Lions017 @rob_shadows @SovereignNazgul @Louis Friend @ManeLine @LionsFTW @detroitroar @Nnivolcm @MrLionzz

dang I can't even get an @ though ...

But seriously, I expect quite a lot out of Stafford this year. OL should be about the same as last year (worse until Decker comes back, then slightly better after), running game should actually exist if Abdullah can stay healthy, WR's will be slightly deeper and maybe better depending on how well Golladay plays, and the TE group will be significantly deeper and better. His supporting cast overall should be better than last year, so he hopefully won't have to carry the entire offense by himself this year.

As far as his stats are concerned...I think that depends on the defense, honestly. Last year, the Lions were just trying to eat up the clock and get to the end of the 4th quarter within one score so they could let Stafford loose and let him try to win the game (mostly by himself) at the last minute. This year, however, the defense should be much improved. Our cornerbacks are much better this year, A'Shawn Robinson looks like he could become more than just a run defender, and the linebacker group won't actually be embarrassing this year. If the defense is even league average, then the offense will be able to run at a higher pace like they want to. If the defense is garbage again, then the offense will likely have to go back into eat-the-clock mode, which reduces the yards and total TD's that Stafford will have, regardless of how well he plays.

I think that he will have another really good year that will continue to establish him as a guy that belongs in the Top 10 QB rankings. He's clearly comfortable in this offense, and I think that overall the personnel around him have slightly improved compared to what he had last year. 

I would not be surprised if statistically he finishes a little behind where he was last year. I really think that the Lions are going to commit to a more balanced attack. With some of the injuries already they might have to abandon that at times, but overall I do think he will throw a bit less and hopefully the defense will allow the Lions to control the clock a bit more. 

Maybe something like 4,100 yds, 28 TD/10 INT, 65% completions. 

Hopefully he picks up right where he left off before the injury last year, I think if Golladay continues his growth and is used properly Stafford should see his TD numbers go up because Golladay honestly may be the best red zone target on the team already. As long as the offensive line meshes well I don't see any reason Stafford shouldn't improve on last years performance. 

Lions will always try to make the run game respectable, but as long as Stafford is the QB, they will be a pass-happy offense. 

I think the two things really holding Stafford back from being a top 5 QB is efficiency and playoff success. He needs to win big games and do so without error. The numbers he had going pre-hand injury were a huge leap for him, but went with what he did with JBC after Lombardi was let go. I see that trend continuing if the numbers don't necessarily match. 65-67% comp %, 30+ TDs, <10 INTs. Win the big games. Win against New Orleans, Green Bay, Pitt, Baltimore, etc. Win a playoff game. This is the next hurdle for Stafford. 

7 minutes ago, Louis Delmas26 said:

What always bothers me is when people judge a QB by a team stat. Playoff wins, wins vs teams with a winning record, etc. are all team stats. Stafford and the Lions do need to win a playoff game, but that should not effect Stafford's status as a top 10 NFL QB. 

Couldn't agree more. I was just in the middle of typing something similar but you beat me to it.

Despite our lack of team success, most teams out there would take Staff in a heartbeat over their current QB.

Archived