salvation for 2018

3rivers

Many here weren't happy with the UFA and draft for the 2018 season and it appears the team has issues that weren't addressed  based on what we have seen through 3 games, mainly on D.

If you had to prioritize some changes that are within reality, what would they be for this team to finish the 2018 season?

Right now, I am seeing:

1. New starter at FS,  Davis  is lost out there at FS

2. try other  existing CB's at CB2 such as Sutton and B.Allen. If this is still really bad, Trade for a CB or maybe trade for one anyways

3. bell trade etc, let that play out , other threads cover this

The D is what requires the most help, and it wouldn't matter if Shazier was on the roster, he can't play CB or FS.  I think the offence can score enough to win but the D really failed vs the bucs as they almost lost the game. It's not my favorite team the way it is assembled but there's not much they can do now. What would you do? 

We made our bed a safety.  Its going to be a weakness all year.    All of our safeties suck TBH.   

None of our corners have looked good either.    I would take Brian Allen over Sensabaugh on the roster, but I hope you arent suggesting he starts.

Bell isnt going to be traded.   Get that out of your head.

If Shazier was on the roster, it would absolutely make a huge difference.    Not saying it would fix all the issues, obviously, but this defense desperately misses his speed.

Bottom line....the defense isnt going to get much better.   We have zero playmakers, no consistent pass rush, and a secondary that is devoid of talent.

People can blame coaching all they want, but Colbert has failed miserably at replenishing the talent this team has lost on defense.  

We will live and die by our offense, and that wont be good enough to win us a SB.

Sutton would start by default since Hilton is slot and the rest are en route to the trade block or doghouse, burns should be in the doghouse if cortez allen found a way to the house. 

Allen would be just to try and find out since it can't get worse IMO.

Agree Colbert and scouts and whoever is involved in draft + UFA have failed. The bell saga hindered all this , say a few players worth anyways . 

I expect our D to allow and average of 25 points a game  and for that I won't be into many of the games like way back. I can't stand high scoring games, thats just me though.

Sutton isn't good, period. I've seen enough of him to feel he isn't TOUGH enough right now. When he gets playing time, he lacks a sense of urgency and doesn't play hard. It was on display on a jam that he didn't do on a Cover 2 concept. He gave a free release, the ball was immediately thrown to Watkins, yet Sutton lazily JOGS after the receiver hoping Davis would make the tackle. He was sent on a blitz or two yet he pulls up and gets in the way of the other defenders. Not good in my book.

@armsteeld  the Sutton recommendation is because  we are out of options :( Do you try to trade for a CB and if so who would you trade for? I thought Davis is the weakest link right now with a few others close 2nd9_9 

If the D fails this team and allows 25+ its a game, will there be a shake up in the offseason? If they would have moved on from Bell they could have had 2 solid defenders added to the roster but of course we can't win the SB without bell so forget the D and sign bell. 

Colbert should be on the hotseat, if most of this is his doing.  If Tomlin/butler agreed that the D should be good like this, then they are still learning aren't they? Everyone here wanted to add pieces to the D but it never happened like we wanted. Some wanted 2 new players for Edge, possibly 2 out of top 3 draft picks . Adeyini might save the day at OLB but he won't play for a while and was a lucky find in UDFA. 

Trying to watch a game with bad D is not easy, just no interest for me anyways. 

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

We made our bed a safety.  Its going to be a weakness all year.    All of our safeties suck TBH.   

None of our corners have looked good either.    I would take Brian Allen over Sensabaugh on the roster, but I hope you arent suggesting he starts.

Bell isnt going to be traded.   Get that out of your head.

If Shazier was on the roster, it would absolutely make a huge difference.    Not saying it would fix all the issues, obviously, but this defense desperately misses his speed.

Bottom line....the defense isnt going to get much better.   We have zero playmakers, no consistent pass rush, and a secondary that is devoid of talent.

People can blame coaching all they want, but Colbert has failed miserably at replenishing the talent this team has lost on defense.  

We will live and die by our offense, and that wont be good enough to win us a SB.

i really dont think colbert decided to go for athletes with potential over football players with the picks.

it is well know tomlin likes these types for HIS secondary

Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Watt, Haden, Hilton, and arguably Sutton.

Thats the list of players on our defense that should actually be on the roster. The rest are mediocre overall. Even Sutton is questionable. But thats the reality of our defense, we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string level players starting for us. Hell even Hargrave isnt the ideal NT.

like to think our defense caught a bad break facing the two of the hottest offenses on back to back weeks, making them look worse than they are. the problem is we face offenses capable of exploiting our defense all year tho. that unit won't catch a break. This defense might end up the worse defense in steelers history on the stat sheet

6 hours ago, muncher said:

i really dont think colbert decided to go for athletes with potential over football players with the picks.

it is well know tomlin likes these types for HIS secondary

No offense, but you seem like one of those people who just want to blame Tomlin for everything. You're well within your right to feel however you want... but I'll butt heads with it every time it's presented... Especially if it's baseless.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Watt, Haden, Hilton, and arguably Sutton.

Thats the list of players on our defense that should actually be on the roster. The rest are mediocre overall. Even Sutton is questionable. But thats the reality of our defense, we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string level players starting for us. Hell even Hargrave isnt the ideal NT.

I would add Bostic, despite being more of a traditional LB and covering the TE's is not a good matchup for him (or 99% of the LB's) . Agree with the rest and will having the worst steeler D stat wise be enough for Ronney to make changes?  I don't see the D getting much better until they get safety and CB fixed and there is no sign of that happening is there?  Hargrave wasn't a good pick for the 0 tech thats for sure, he's suited for an attacking scheme. One of the many players drafted that are suited for a different scheme, nice one colbert or whoever is to blame.

I can't see this team going anywhere until the safety and CB play is improved, other than Haden, the rest is about as bad as a collective that I can remember ever on this team since I started watching them .  All the $ is spent on offence and they still can't win anything

There is a saying is that has remained true no matter what changes in the NFL in terms of offence in various Defense wins Championships. At the end of the day you can look at every Super Bowl and the teams that have won have made Major Impact plays on defense. Every single Super Bowl that Tom Brady has won has been one because of not the offense but the defense including their victory over the Seattle Seahawks. Defense wins championships and right now we have very close to if not the worst defense in the league by far

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

You're saying is in the US have been through no matter what changes in the NFL in terms of offence in various Defense wins Championships. At the end of the day you can look at every Super Bowl and the teams that have won have made Major Impact plays on defense. Every single Super Bowl that Tom Brady has won has been one because of not the offense but the defense including their victory over the Seattle Seahawks. Defense wins championships and right now we have very close to if not the worst defense in the league by far

Agree about the importance of D. Some in the media are saying we don't need a top 10 D, but I disagree.  The Jags games really showed what needed to be addressed on this team, and the FO did almost nothing and the results are guess what, the same.

When we have history of a good D to top of the league D, it speaks volumes as to how bad this team has been handled to let the tradition go down the sewer and we are left what's floating around these days. They spent more on offence, but we are still waiting for that elite offence to win and I doubt they will

Archived