Week 4 GDT: Time to Get Supercharged

N4L

5 minutes ago, Gridirongreat#9 said:

After week 9, we could very well go 0-7. 

Meh, I think there are too many winnable games on the schedule. The rams will have absolutely nothing to play for at the end, and as J said, the seachickens are really, really bad. The Giants are easily beatable. 

I think we probably win 4-5 games this year. 

I just want to talk about CJ's QB play for a second. I thought it was the best QB play we've had all season. He looked comfortable with the offense and made quite a few nice throws. He had a lot of nice ball placement and fit the ball into some tight windows. Now our receivers couldn't make a lot of those catches because apparently all of them forget what hands are for when they have a few defensive backs in their face but they were still nice throws from CJ. Celek letting that ball bounce off his hands and into the air for an interception was a big turning point for this game. That play swung that drive from an almost guaranteed +3 to a TD for the Chargers, which was enough to win them the game. But despite that CJ still rallied the troops and managed to lead us on several more nice drives. The only real mistake I thought he made today was not recognizing the blitz presnap when he threw that game-ending interception. But otherwise, he was pretty impressive and far far better than I thought we were going to see today. Plus the man apparently knows no fear when trying to run for a first down. Maybe not a great idea since he got lit up but ballsy nonetheless.

23 minutes ago, Geek said:

I just want to talk about CJ's QB play for a second. I thought it was the best QB play we've had all season. He looked comfortable with the offense and made quite a few nice throws. He had a lot of nice ball placement and fit the ball into some tight windows. Now our receivers couldn't make a lot of those catches because apparently all of them forget what hands are for when they have a few defensive backs in their face but they were still nice throws from CJ. Celek letting that ball bounce off his hands and into the air for an interception was a big turning point for this game. That play swung that drive from an almost guaranteed +3 to a TD for the Chargers, which was enough to win them the game. But despite that CJ still rallied the troops and managed to lead us on several more nice drives. The only real mistake I thought he made today was not recognizing the blitz presnap when he threw that game-ending interception. But otherwise, he was pretty impressive and far far better than I thought we were going to see today. Plus the man apparently knows no fear when trying to run for a first down. Maybe not a great idea since he got lit up but ballsy nonetheless.

Credit where credit is due. I'm not a fan CJ (well, I am, but I'm a fan of CJ in everything except how he throws the football lol) but I thought he played a very good game today. I don't know if it holds up in the long run, but honestly, that's what this season should be about offensively. Evaluating him and some of the other younger pieces. There were still some things I didn't like, but he threw the ball better than I thought he would, even if there were definitely a few ducks in there. If he can get consistency down actually throwing the football - accuracy and zip - he's going to be fine. High bar back up for us for sure. He got rid of the ball in a reasonable period of time. I don't think I screamed at the computer once for him to throw the ball, which was a nice change from the first three weeks. He made some questionable decisions, and some predetermined throws, but that's stuff that I'm not actually all that concerned with - that's stuff that comes with experience. My entire evaluation is going to be on whether or not he can consistently throw that ball well enough.

Crazy to think that by the end of this season, he will have more career starts to evaluate then we have on Jimmy. I certainly didn't expect today's performance based on preseason, and he did seem a lot more comfortable being in charge of the offense. 

18 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

Another week watching too many missed tackles.

Thought it was MUCH better this week. Didn't see many missed tackles until the end where Gordon started breaking quite a bit of tackles. 

But look at Rivers YPA, under 7. And that is rare. Why? Because we didn't allow much after the catch. The problem is the lack of pass rush makes for inconsistent play and that's not going to change.

Foster aside from passing Gates over when they were in man coverage was damn good. Going to just get better and better by the week. Need Sherman back badly though, he holds down one side of the field. Also need to see more of Mabin who played very well in the 2nd half.

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Seahawks are not good… like at all. TB isn't that good either. Denver is meh as well. May win a few games to beat honest. 

And Rams may not have anything to play for in week 17.

The thing is, we cant seem to get out of our own way. Penalties, injuries and sucking st tackling. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thought it was MUCH better this week. Didn't see many missed tackles until the end where Gordon started breaking quite a bit of tackles. 

But look at Rivers YPA, under 7. And that is rare. Why? Because we didn't allow much after the catch. The problem is the lack of pass rush makes for inconsistent play and that's not going to change.

Foster aside from passing Gates over when they were in man coverage was damn good. Going to just get better and better by the week. Need Sherman back badly though, he holds down one side of the field. Also need to see more of Mabin who played very well in the 2nd half.

It wasn't very good overall. Melvin Gordon broke probably atleast 8 tackles by himself.

Didn't watch the game but heard Ward started again@CB. Just don't understand Saleh and Shanny's thinking here. Give guys like Mabin and Moore the snaps on the outside, opposite Spoon. You have nothing to lose playing the young guys. The season is pretty much a wash. See what you have in the young guys. Let Ward play FS with Colbert hurt. It's not like he's been effective on the outside anyway. I just don't see how it helps us to keep giving Ward the nod on the outside. No better time to evaluate the younger guys potential than now, with both safties and Sherm being hurt. You actually have a legitimate excuse to play Ward@safety. 

5 hours ago, Hopper15 said:

It wasn't very good overall. Melvin Gordon broke probably atleast 8 tackles by himself.

It wasn't bad either. Again, Gordon late in the game definitely started to break tackles but aside from that it was fine. In fact for the first three quarters the tackling was very good, in particular from Foster/Warner. 

i didn't get to catch the game but saw the highlights/stat line. I know Breida isn't the biggest guy and he also checked out twice for injuries but can he get atleast 15-18 touches a game? I just don't see how with a close game he only had 9 carries and 3 recs? To me it seems like everytime he rips one, Kyle takes him out...

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Didn't watch the game but heard Ward started again@CB. Just don't understand Saleh and Shanny's thinking here. Give guys like Mabin and Moore the snaps on the outside, opposite Spoon. You have nothing to lose playing the young guys. The season is pretty much a wash. See what you have in the young guys. Let Ward play FS with Colbert hurt. It's not like he's been effective on the outside anyway. I just don't see how it helps us to keep giving Ward the nod on the outside. No better time to evaluate the younger guys potential than now, with both safties and Sherm being hurt. You actually have a legitimate excuse to play Ward@safety. 

Ward got embarrassed by Tyrell Williams with a circus grab over his head. It's in the highlights. 

Archived