Kelly Bryant Transferring

PAW

45 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

lol. he's not "quitting on the team," he's doing right by himself, just like his coach is doing. good move by bryant.

He definitely is. Not saying it’s not the best decision for himself (not like he has an NFL future so all he is gaining is playing an extra year). But he definitely let the team down. Should’ve handled it like Jalen Hurts. Could’ve stayed with the team and only played if Lawrence was seriously injured. If Lawrence stayed healthy, redshirt and move on. 

As long as Lawrence stays healthy, this will work out better for us. Won’t have to deal with Bryant getting pity snaps and taking away time from Lawrence who is significantly better. 

2 minutes ago, PAW said:

He definitely is. Not saying it’s not the best decision for himself (not like he has an NFL future so all he is gaining is playing an extra year). But he definitely let the team down. Should’ve handled it like Jalen Hurts. Could’ve stayed with the team and only played if Lawrence was seriously injured. If Lawrence stayed healthy, redshirt and move on. 

As long as Lawrence stays healthy, this will work out better for us. Won’t have to deal with Bryant getting pity snaps and taking away time from Lawrence who is significantly better. 

So, just to make sure I'm following, if Bryant said "sorry coach I'm not playing even when we're up 80 in the fourth quarter because I want to redshirt then grad transfer", he wouldn't be quitting on the team even though he just said he wasn't going to play any more because he didn't want to.

Smart take.

As long as coaches and the NCAA continue to treat NCAAF like a business, players can and should treat it accordingly. I'm going to be angry as a fan when my favorite players don't play meaningless bowl games, but as a person, I will not fault them, nor should I. The same goes for transferring, red shirting, or anything like that. If Joe Burrow plays this smart, he'll have walked out of OSU with a degree (check) AND LSU with AT LEAST a Masters degree, all of which are fully funded...throw in his 2 years as a projected starting QB at a blue blood school, and that's how it's done.

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So, just to make sure I'm following, if Bryant said "sorry coach I'm not playing even when we're up 80 in the fourth quarter because I want to redshirt then grad transfer", he wouldn't be quitting on the team even though he just said he wasn't going to play any more because he didn't want to.

Smart take.

Dabo told him he could redshirt so no that wouldn't be quitting on the team considering the coach suggested that's exactly what he do.  However quitting midseason leaving us no viable backup is certainly letting the team down (considering we had 2 other QBs transfer over the summer since they weren't given a fair chance to beat out Bryant...a little ironic).  His comments headed out the door were also classless, not sure how he thinks he wasn't given a fair chance when he started the first four games when the guy behind him was clearly better.  Have no issue with him wanting to redshirt and gain another year of eligibility after rightfully losing his job.  He handled this very poorly and probably cost himself a ton of money considering he doesn't have a future in football.

3 minutes ago, PAW said:

Dabo told him he could redshirt so no that wouldn't be quitting on the team considering the coach suggested that's exactly what he do.  However quitting midseason leaving us no viable backup is certainly letting the team down (considering we had 2 other QBs transfer over the summer since they weren't given a fair chance to beat out Bryant...a little ironic).  His comments headed out the door were also classless, not sure how he thinks he wasn't given a fair chance when he started the first four games when the guy behind him was clearly better.  Have no issue with him wanting to redshirt and gain another year of eligibility after rightfully losing his job.  He handled this very poorly and probably cost himself a ton of money considering he doesn't have a future in football.

Dabo recommending he redshirt and transfer is exactly what Bryant did, unless Lawrence gets hurt. It's not Kelly Bryant's job to maintain the Clemson QB depth chart, nor is it his problem that other QBs transferred. Be mad at Dabo for not recruiting a guy who would be okay with being a backup. 

Archived