Week 4: New Orleans Saints @ New York Giants

Acgott

22 hours ago, Gmen said:

The good news is Saquon continues to look amazing.  When the Giants sucked a few years ago I would tune in just to see OBJ.  I feel the same way about Saquon now.  Speaking of OBJ, where is the magic?  The production is just okay.  He’s not scaring anyone, making big plays and he doesn’t have a TD yet this season.  It’s almost like he lost half a step after the injury..

Not true at all. The 3 best receivers in the league- Odell, Brown, and Julio- and the best receiving TE- Gronk- all have unremarkable stats through 4 games so far. Teams across the NFL are putting huge emphasis on stopping these game changing receivers and trying to make teams beat you other ways. Odell has received that special treatment, which is why Shepard is on pace to destroy his best season's statistics. I agree with @w4rrior723, he looks as good physically as ever. The whole offense is garbage right now though (I feel like a broken record). They need to figure it out. You can't keep throwing 2 yards beyond the LOS every pass attempt and you need to give Barkley more carries. I understand the Saints had a really good defensive gameplan (standard cover 2 like they showed against the Falcons, but dropped their MLB almost every play, something they hadn't done all season), but you've got to be able to adjust on offense. 

I was really down on Eli after Dallas. He made me eat my words week 3 against the Texans. Then after this game, I wonder where the hell week 3 Eli went. He reverted right back to week 2 Eli this week. Watching back the first half and he was miserable with no pressure. 

The offense has been bad for 3 years now. The only constant is Eli. We really need to see what we have in Lauletta soon. He looked like Vikings Josh Freeman in the first half.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:20 PM, minutemancl said:

It was an impossible task to fix the entire OL in one offseason. This offseason, the left side is functioning well and will only get better with Hernandez getting more reps. Next offseason, Gettleman has got to fix the right side. Omameh and Wheeler/Flowers are garbage. 

It has been done before the Viking did it just a couple of years ago. Also you need to make the right choices with what you have. Gettleman brought in Omameh, he also get rid of Bret Jones, he did not make the right choice. So the right side and the center need to be upgraded next season and do remember we don't have a third round pick to help us with this. 

3 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

It has been done before the Viking did it just a couple of years ago. Also you need to make the right choices with what you have. Gettleman brought in Omameh, he also get rid of Bret Jones, he did not make the right choice. So the right side and the center need to be upgraded next season and do remember we don't have a third round pick to help us with this. 

Ah yes, Brett Jones who is tearing it up in Minnesota. Speaking of Minnesota, their OL looks great this year, doesn't it?

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Ah yes, Brett Jones who is tearing it up in Minnesota. Speaking of Minnesota, their OL looks great this year, doesn't it?

Brett Jones is better than what we have right now, and the Vikings o-line is still better than ours.

9 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

Brett Jones is better than what we have right now, and the Vikings o-line is still better than ours.

John Greco and Jon Halapio are at least as good as Jones, most likely better. I would say the OLs are about equal. Kirk Cousins makes the Vikings OL look better than Eli makes ours look. Eli was under 0 pressure the first half of the Saints game and couldn't do anything.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

John Greco and Jon Halapio are at least as good as Jones, most likely better. I would say the OLs are about equal. Kirk Cousins makes the Vikings OL look better than Eli makes ours look. Eli was under 0 pressure the first half of the Saints game and couldn't do anything.

And why was he under 0 pressure?

its kinda hard to get pressured when you’re literally getting the ball out your hands at the top of your drop

So is anyone willing to admit I was right about Eli or are we still pretending he's not the problem?

Eli looked the same in this game, and in the last 4 games, as in 2017. A beat writer took this screenshot,  whereby Eli airmailed a wide open Odell from a NFL clean pocket:

DogRAwuVAAAwN--.jpg

For supporting McAdoo last year, I was argued down,and belittled by guys in this forum. The most vitriolic of which was  @bzane, who ironically is now a Jets fan posting on the Jets forum. And I don't blame him one bit. This franchise is run like a money cabal, not a franchise team. Like McAdoo said, "Look at the tape". Eli was a bottom 5 QB in 2017 and is a bottom 5 QB in 2017. 

This was evident from the Geno Smith start in 2017, where he looked far more accurate, anticipatory and mobile than Eli, despite Khalil Mack breathing down his neck.  But no good deed goes unpunished. There are no QBs on this roster better than Eli by design. Enjoy the season guys.

Eli is not the Eli of 2011.  He doesn’t take risks and throw it downfield anymore.  Part of it is age, part of it is the offensive line not giving him time, part of it the offensive game plan. If the season is lost, I hope the rookie gets a few starts just so we see what we have on the roster.  I love Eli and he’s the reason I became a football fan, but he’s not going to survive another bad season. Not everyone ages as gracefully as Brady and brees. Those are exceptions 

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

Eli is not the Eli of 2011.  He doesn’t take risks and throw it downfield anymore.  Part of it is age, part of it is the offensive line not giving him time, part of it the offensive game plan. If the season is lost, I hope the rookie gets a few starts just so we see what we have on the roster.  I love Eli and he’s the reason I became a football fan, but he’s not going to survive another bad season. Not everyone ages as gracefully as Brady and brees. Those are exceptions 

What's crazy is the signs of age we expect to see aren't happening with Eli. Maybe it is because he was never very mobile, but physically he doesn't seem to have missed a beat. Arm strength is still there, footwork still looks good. Eli has degraded mentally. He feels phantom pressure and looks afraid to throw down the field, like he doesn't trust his arm. Against the Texans he looked great and I thought that would be a sign that he was finally settling in to the offense, but obviously that's not the case. He looked as bad as he did against the Cowboys this past game, but faced substantially less pressure. Like a three outcome hitter in baseball, Eli's dropbacks resulted in one of three outcomes: overthrow on a good look, dump off, or missed open intermediate/deep look. Sometimes it was a combination of a few of those. There is really no excuse for it. The loss last week was entirely on him.

Ah, gentlemen, one must concede that Manning the Lesser is no longer what he once was. Not sure when in the history of the NFL there has been an effective offense based upon the 2-yard pass. Whether it is a result of years of chaotic blocking, or simply a sign of the aging process, one cannot deny what is now obvious.

Unhappily, Davis Webb, once the Heir Apparent, has drifted off to enter the Purgatory of Jerry Reese 3rd-Round Draft Picks, and is no longer an option.

I had a red-circle notice that the The Mellow One had mentioned me in a post somewhere; to my pleased surprise he had also paid a visit to my page! Happy days, indeed. Re-reading his diatribes against Eli, and his passionate pro-Geno rhetoric, I was moved to tears, and must now adamantly agree with him. Eli, I fear, can no longer be counted on; the odds of his enjoying a renaissance in his late thirties are not promising. And seeing how Geno Smith is tearing it up for the Los Angeles Chargers (0 passing attempts, 0 yards, 1 run for -1) hit me like a punch in the jaw:

Image result for Geno Smith

While clearly a new QB is needed, I would caution the Giants, and Dave "Hog Molly" Gettleman, not to neglect re-stocking that Chinese Fire-Drill offensive line; bringing in a rookie QB and expecting him to run an offense behind that mess would likely result in a remake of David Carr II: The Sacking of Houston.

May the New York O-line return to its former glory!

Image result for Land of the Giants

And I agree with The Voice of Reason when he cries, I don't think I'm cruel- but Eli ought to be burned at the stake!!!

Image result for man burned at the stake

Here's to another Top-10 pick, Giants' fans; may they spend it wisely!

Archived