2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Cb should not be a pick in the first three rounds. 

100% agree. A guy like Derrick Baity from Kentucky in round 6 would be a real nice pickup. At this point. We need to see what we have in Spoon and Moore to determine if we need to invest more heavily in CB next offseason. We now have 4 outside corners and 2 nickel corners. Not sure how many other corners we would carry week-to-week at this point.

Really surprised that Barrett hasn't had a legit market develop. Neither has Shane Ray. Also, someone will have to explain to me what Tre Boston did that makes the nfl hate him so much. I remember when he was a Panthers, they just cut him rather unexpectedly. Since then, he's had two decent years and he's had to settle for 1 year deals in back to back years. At this point, I'm wondering if he's not going to have to settle for a third. Did he run over Goodell's cat or something? 

1 minute ago, Pandomonium said:

call me nuts, but I'd take Eric Berry over any of the remaining safeties in FA and on our current roster right now

I'd take Boston over him. I do not think that Berry is the same player, and the injuries have really piled up...he's just not the player he was overall. Now you also can't count on him to stay healthy. I like the idea of him on a one year deal, but that's about it. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'd take Boston over him. I do not think that Berry is the same player, and the injuries have really piled up...he's just not the player he was overall. Now you also can't count on him to stay healthy. I like the idea of him on a one year deal, but that's about it. 

i forgot about boston....yeah I'd take Boston too

If we sign Boston, who is coming off two solid seasons in a row? Then I'd feel better about this current free agency class. The signings we make after the initial free agency wave will go a long way in determining how good we will be next season. In 2011 we ended up signing Whitner/Goodwin/Rogers all after the initial wave and all those signings paid big dividends. I may be missing another solid one we had during that time, but it was pretty impressive. 

Man, I'll tell you what...that wide receiver free agent market is horrifically brutal now. Jermaine Kearse is about the best out of the Z spot that we could ask for, so that would make some sense, and Tate (supposedly in talks with the patriots) is probably the best receiver overall, but obviously more limited in that he's going to run almost everything out of the slot. 

I'd really like to look into a potential trade if we can, but I'm going to assume that Shanny is going to take his chances on rolling out with a second year and rookie recevier for the most part, supplemented by the likes of Goodwin and Bourne. 

6 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

so seriously, 

whats the next move?

do we sit back and wait for the draft now or dip back in the free agent pool? and if so, for what?

for who?

If there is a next move I’d expect it to be in the offensive side of the ball with a WR (Kearse), or a IOL, or a TE. Outside of those three maybe a DT/NT to compete with DJ Jones but I’m not sure we add anymore DL till after the draft seeing as how we may have a selection of difference makers there at pick 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Man, I'll tell you what...that wide receiver free agent market is horrifically brutal now. Jermaine Kearse is about the best out of the Z spot that we could ask for, so that would make some sense, and Tate (supposedly in talks with the patriots) is probably the best receiver overall, but obviously more limited in that he's going to run almost everything out of the slot. 

I'd really like to look into a potential trade if we can, but I'm going to assume that Shanny is going to take his chances on rolling out with a second year and rookie recevier for the most part, supplemented by the likes of Goodwin and Bourne. 

yeah, I don't like this WR class in FA either.

I think the 2nd round pick should definitely be a WR

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Or we go WR at #2!!! Ever thought of that??????

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

You act like there isn't a pretty distinctive gap in these two guys. 

Goodwin is a huge piece of this offense, there's no doubt in my mind. 

I mean by all accounts, the coaching staff doesn't want him to have THAT big of a role. Pettis is the starter at X and according to Maiocco, they want to use Goodwin in certain packages as they don't believe he can stay healthy for the entire season with that type of workload. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we sign Boston, who is coming off two solid seasons in a row? Then I'd feel better about this current free agency class. The signings we make after the initial free agency wave will go a long way in determining how good we will be next season. In 2011 we ended up signing Whitner/Goodwin/Rogers all after the initial wave and all those signings paid big dividends. I may be missing another solid one we had during that time, but it was pretty impressive. 

If we sign Boston, I really would like for us to get out of the cover 3 single high and start utilizing the safeties more interchangeably. If Verrett is the starter, you can run the hybrid system that Fangio likes to run where he may throw out man to man on one side (Verrett's in this case) and then zone on the other half of the field (I believe that Jax did this two years ago quite a bit as well), and have the safeties cover a little less of the field maybe as opposed to the deep cover 3, single high. Ward had the talent to play single high, but that's probably not an ideal fit for Boston. I'd feel more comfortable with he and Tartt being used in similar methods. 

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

You act like there isn't a pretty distinctive gap in these two guys. 

Goodwin is a huge piece of this offense, there's no doubt in my mind. 

Goodwin is a largely rotational wide receiver who suffers from injuries. Honestly, I don't think that there is. Bourne has far more use in the red zone and in other routes, Goodwin is better deep between the 20's, etc. Goodwin really isn't anything special and it doesn't make me feel all that great at forcing him into a position he doesn't have much experience in (Z) and using him as a WR2

Archived