2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

I really doubt we cut Colbert. I think people are severely over-reacting to his rough start last year. I think Exum would be the guy to get the axe as mentioned above. Worse case for Colbert, I think we still have a very good special teams/depth player. 

I see Darby is still unsigned. I know we signed Verrett, but I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in Darby as well. Obviously he was my top choice at corner this entire time, but more competition will only make this team better.

Colbert was incredible his rookie year, while playing with a broken thumb. His closing speed is like nothing we have in the secondary on this current roster. If he show through preseason he has what it takes between the ears diagnosing offenses he can be very very special. Thats the thought I had last year (with more optimism) but he didn't get the chance to bounce back from a slow start like Spoon did. I would be very surprised if he's cut. I think its more likely we go into week 1 with him as the starting FS, I'd prefer him over Jimmie Ward all things being equal. 

Thoughts on Shane Ray? Could be good competition/depth at the SAM position and possibly a situation pass rusher. He showed some promise his second year but from what I understand has just been burried on the depth chart. 

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

Thoughts on Shane Ray? Could be good competition/depth at the SAM position and possibly a situation pass rusher. He showed some promise his second year but from what I understand has just been burried on the depth chart. 

Just did some research apparently he’s been having issues with his wrist that’s required multiple surgeries, perhaps this is why he hasn’t seen as much playing time. I think if he’s healthy now though he’d be worth bringing in on a 1 year deal much like Verrett. He would really fit into the theme of this years FA class. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Colbert was incredible his rookie year, while playing with a broken thumb. His closing speed is like nothing we have in the secondary on this current roster. If he show through preseason he has what it takes between the ears diagnosing offenses he can be very very special. Thats the thought I had last year (with more optimism) but he didn't get the chance to bounce back from a slow start like Spoon did. I would be very surprised if he's cut. I think its more likely we go into week 1 with him as the starting FS, I'd prefer him over Jimmie Ward all things being equal. 

Yeah, I think Colbert is fairly safe.  I want him on the roster, I want him to learn and didn't want him just given the start. Nothing wrong with being the primary backup in year three when you are still learning the position. He played little in college, and a lot of what he did was at corner. 

You hit the nail on the head... He's got to get it right in his head. That's not a guarantee, but the physical tools are all there (not great ball skills though, which kind of sucks, but I can live with it). And as @Gore Whore 21 said, he's also a very good special teams player

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Pretty sure we could have moved on after 2 years with minimal cap hit if that were the case. Seems to be the way Marthe likes to structure deals. I understand the appeal of Bell to Shanny as far as a receiving threat but his running style is just not a good mesh for a zone-blocking scheme. Its a moot point now but that would have been interesting to see. That and the fact we would have had over 50 million dollars invested in the RB position. But I'm sure McKinnon would have been gone if Bell would have signed though.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Pretty sure we could have moved on after 2 years with minimal cap hit if that were the case. Seems to be the way Marthe likes to structure deals. I understand the appeal of Bell to Shanny as far as a receiving threat but his running style is just not a good mesh for a zone-blocking scheme. Its a moot point now but that would have been interesting to see. That and the fact we would have had over 50 million dollars invested in the RB position. But I'm sure McKinnon would have been gone if Bell would have signed though.

If it was "just about fully guaranteed," I believe that probably means he would have seen all 3 years. Sounds like no structure of that sort of contract would allow for us escaping before the end without a cap hit. But we do have a cap wizard, so I also wouldn't be surprised if we could either.

I've been a fan of Bell since college, so I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, he's likely the superstar player I wanted to add to the offense, but the fact that Pittsburgh didn't skip a beat without him leads me to believe that he might not be enough of an improvement other than in the health department. I'm kinda happy with the Coleman addition at a much lower cost. 

11 hours ago, struby3 said:

Nzeocha visited Buffalo today. I personally don't care if we lose him.

I'd be a little bummed if we lost him. He's great on special teams and isn't terrible at SAM. I think he provides more value than Pita T at SAM, so I'd at least like to bring him back to compete for a roster spot.

10 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I would rather go after Barrett. Oddly enough, I'm kind of okay if we don't get any more defensive linemen (assuming that the draft pick is going to also be on the line). That's just such a huge rotation right now that another body just adds more clutter. I wouldn't mind going after other positions at this point. LIS, I like the idea of Eifert on a cheap one year deal to be that TE2 / Redzone target. I still like Tre Boston. Barrett. Collins or Matthews as a blitzing SAM would be intriguing, though I kind of think both are still going to want way more than I am willing to offer. Mo Clairborne is out there. Brandon Marshall, Zach Brown, Mark Barron all would give us solid depth at the linebacker position (and truthfully, we lack a true back up MIKE, so Marshall / Brown could certainly make some sense. Brown will have starting opportunities, I think, but Marshall may have to settle). Bruce Irvin still makes an interesting SAM, and Spain is another guard that we could add into the rotation as competition for Person / Garnett. And of course, Ronald Darby is still out there, though again, assuming that his price is too high for the role that we would want him to play 

Oh, totally forgot about Collins. Yes, wouldn't mind bringing him in. The level he was at for a bit with the Patriots was damn near elite. Lately he hasn't been that guy but there's something there. I didn't even think of him playing the SAM but the knock on him in Cleveland was he would never set the edge or play his responsibility as he would just recklessly shoot the gap trying to make a big play. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh, totally forgot about Collins. Yes, wouldn't mind bringing him in. The level he was at for a bit with the Patriots was damn near elite. Lately he hasn't been that guy but there's something there. I didn't even think of him playing the SAM but the knock on him in Cleveland was he would never set the edge or play his responsibility as he would just recklessly shoot the gap trying to make a big play. 

Yeah, thats why I heard the Pats got rid of him too. Didn't mind his responsibilities...

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would rather go after Barrett. Oddly enough, I'm kind of okay if we don't get any more defensive linemen (assuming that the draft pick is going to also be on the line). That's just such a huge rotation right now that another body just adds more clutter. I wouldn't mind going after other positions at this point. LIS, I like the idea of Eifert on a cheap one year deal to be that TE2 / Redzone target. I still like Tre Boston. Barrett. Collins or Matthews as a blitzing SAM would be intriguing, though I kind of think both are still going to want way more than I am willing to offer. Mo Clairborne is out there. Brandon Marshall, Zach Brown, Mark Barron all would give us solid depth at the linebacker position (and truthfully, we lack a true back up MIKE, so Marshall / Brown could certainly make some sense. Brown will have starting opportunities, I think, but Marshall may have to settle). Bruce Irvin still makes an interesting SAM, and Spain is another guard that we could add into the rotation as competition for Person / Garnett. And of course, Ronald Darby is still out there, though again, assuming that his price is too high for the role that we would want him to play 

what Mo Clairborne??

Archived