2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

Just now, Pandomonium said:

Matt Kalil just released by the panthers!!! 

he's 29 and a good guard 
Thoughts?

But he's not a guard? I don't think he's played a down of guard in the NFL in his career. He's a tackle. Also, for the most part, he's been pretty bad. He's coming off yet another injury and missed the entire season. The contract they signed him to was pretty widely derided because of how bad he was to finish his Vikings career. I have no interest. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

But he's not a guard? I don't think he's played a down of guard in the NFL in his career. He's a tackle. Also, for the most part, he's been pretty bad. He's coming off yet another injury and missed the entire season. The contract they signed him to was pretty widely derided because of how bad he was to finish his Vikings career. I have no interest. 

IDK why I thought he was a guard I must be getting him confused with someone else

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh, totally forgot about Collins. Yes, wouldn't mind bringing him in. The level he was at for a bit with the Patriots was damn near elite. Lately he hasn't been that guy but there's something there. I didn't even think of him playing the SAM but the knock on him in Cleveland was he would never set the edge or play his responsibility as he would just recklessly shoot the gap trying to make a big play. 

I'd definitely give a hard look@Collins. I'd really prefer to have Warner off the ball so if we can find a vet to man the MIKE who has some athletic upside, I'd definitely be down for it. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

I'd definitely give a hard look@Collins. I'd really prefer to have Warner off the ball so if we can find a vet to man the MIKE who has some athletic upside, I'd definitely be down for it. 

This would be the type of value FA signing that could pay dividends in the long run. Again, I keep going back and referencing 2011, but signing Whitner/Rogers/Goodwin after the first week of free agency took our team to another level. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This would be the type of value FA signing that could pay dividends in the long run. Again, I keep going back and referencing 2011, but signing Whitner/Rogers/Goodwin after the first week of free agency took our team to another level. 

Warner------Collins------Alexander

Even though I'm not the biggest Alexander fan, that would be one athletic, rangy LB corps...

The 49ers were in several different times. They tried during the season and they tried here in the offseason. Someone with the Giants told me they were asking for the second pick of the draft from the 49ers, which the 49ers weren’t willing to do.

Per glazer. Maybe we weren't even open to swapping from 2? He doesn't specify

17 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Warner------Collins------Alexander

Even though I'm not the biggest Alexander fan, that would be one athletic, rangy LB corps...

I agree that would be a nice group of LB's, but would Collins be expensive? I don't really know his market, but it seems like the 49ers aren't really into spending a lot money on a SAM backer. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ties with what Maiocco said that the Niners just weren't willing to give up a 2nd. Actually also to what Cowherd said last week lol.

So yeah, we definitely tried to get him. Shanny looked a little off yesterday in the press conference, wonder if he is still of the failed trade? 

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I agree that would be a nice group of LB's, but would Collins be expensive? I don't really know his market, but it seems like the 49ers aren't really into spending a lot money on a SAM backer. 

Well, in 757's scenario, I think he has him playing MIKE. So that would be a little different. Me personally, I'd be signing him as a blitzing SAM, so yeah, I think  he may be a little more on the pricier side for that particular role, though you never know. I mean Ha-Ha took 1/3.5...who's to say that Collins isn't forced to take something similar? And I'm more than willing to shell out 3.5 for a blitzing SAM, even if he's not on the field all that much, just so long as he is effective at it (Clay Matthews falls under this as well). 

Personally, I don't have any interest in him at the MIKE because of the talk that surrounds him. Just couldn't trust him in that role at all. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mentioned this a few pages back. We must be eyeing someone at #2 that we think holds more long term value than OBJ. I can get on board with that decision. I would rather have a 21 year old Nick Bosa on a rookie contract for 5 years at a more important position than a 26 year old Odell Beckham Jr. who will probably require yet another contract after being traded with his injury concerns and questionable off-field behavior. Don't get me wrong, I was all about trading for OBJ, but I also wasn't willing to part with that #2 pick. To me OBJ is a luxury to this team. Shanny makes his money getting people open and I think we'll still be a highly productive offense without a superstar receiver. 

Archived