2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

22 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Eric Berry and Tre Boston are still out there. Lynch needs to at least get them in for a workout.

At this point I’m cool with just waiting to see how the draft plays out and then go from there. I don’t think these guys are going anywhere. I think Berry is done as well. It’s quite unfortunate with all the health issues he’s had to deal with, but at least he had a good career early on and should be taken care of for the rest of his life financially.

So Maiocco said Jimmie Ward will almost certainly start at FS and Verrett is the favorite to start at corner if he is healthy. I mean not huge surprises there, but also we kind of can let go of the idea of picking someone up like Boston. Looks like we are done there and if we do go with another FS, it will be in the draft.

I mean don't want to quote all the posts about what we will do in the draft, but I can definitely see a trade down. But highly doubt it will be an OT. Simply put, that OT won't be a starter this year and it doesn't make sense to pick one up in the first round. It was different last year as they had a trade in the works with NE for Trent Brown. But Staley is still going to be out there next season and probably for another two or so more seasons. 

I see a trade down picking up an additional second round pick and maybe we try to trade one of our 2nds for a 2020 1st rounder. 

Or we use that additional 2nd rounder to trade for another WR.....The one that currently resides in Ohio, and I'm not talking about OBJ.

Granted, depending on how far down we go, we can pick up a future 1st regardless. 

21 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

The 49ers never had any interest whatsoever in OBJ. Get real. You think John "after getting burned on Reuben, we're going to go for only the most milquetoast 'class' guys we can find' Lynch was going to go for OBJ? They had no interest in Antonio Brown either.

Saleh starts Armstead at 5 technique in base because he views it as a DT run defense-type position. That's not Bosa. 

Lynch doesn't do flashy stuff, and neither does Kyle. Lynch wants milquetoast and Kyle wants a bunch of interchangeable little guys at RB and WR. The moves the last 3 years speak for themselves. So Lynch's draft pick will be predictably boring, like it was last year. Even if Roquan Smith had fallen to 9, the 49ers were taking McGlinchey. 

I know I should probably drop it but, 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826053-49ers-rumors-sf-was-engaged-in-odell-beckham-trade-talks-no-2-pick-discussed

The Niners had interest, they just didn't want to drop the #2 pick for him, which I agree with. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's a ton of dead money to be rolling through by this regime in the last two years. That's a poor reflection on their roster choices 

How are they arriving  at this number?  is it combined 18 and 19 off-seasons? 

Not a great sign to see, but I expected it to be like this after their first off-season splurge. The hope is/should be that once we start drafting well (guys stay out of trouble) that we won't have to rely on big FA splurges to bridge massive talent gaps (like the first year). 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

That is how I took it

Weird..as of right now we have 12m from this off-season (Thanks Pierre!) according to OTC...not sure where the other 27m is? I remember Vance had an insane number so maybe that was it? 

edit: Holy **** that 2018 number on Spotrac lol. also bad math lol. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

That's a ton of dead money to be rolling through by this regime in the last two years. That's a poor reflection on their roster choices 

Sorry but that is poor analysis imo, a large part of it has to be just roster turnover from one regime to the next. We are under 10 mil over the nfl average with that change which to me is surprising it isn't larger. Also, this isn't the early '00s where we are up against the cap. It hasn't affected one bit how and/or who we've gone after in free agency. 

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Sorry but that is poor analysis imo, a large part of it has to be just roster turnover from one regime to the next. We are under 10 mil over the nfl average with that change which to me is surprising it isn't larger. Also, this isn't the early '00s where we are up against the cap. It hasn't affected one bit how and/or who we've gone after in free agency. 

How many guys from the prior regime have we cut this season and last? It's not many. Most of that bloodletting happened in 2017. I don't know if we had any real big money guys this or last. Plus, dead money is usually a single year hit on the first year unless it's a June 1 cut or pay June 1 trade. There were a couple couple of bigger ones - bow and Vance for example that trickled over in 2018.

This 40 million is mostly going to be from the lynch regime.  A tenth of this is Cooper. Garcon over 7mil is nearly 20.. Between those two, it's almost 30% of the total.  Coyle. Foster is over 2 mil this year. Earl Mitchell is 1.5. Sneezy, hoyer, Foster were over 5 last year (Foster hit both years). Kerley (this regime gave him the extension), dumervil, etc. Take out your standard roster fodder cuts who have a minor signing bonuses and whatnot, and this is a lot of this regime

Now, taking out those two big guys (Vance and bow) it's a lot better, but those are some big, bad decisions from this regime in a short period of time. Not to mention the "dead" money that doesn't read as dead money (basically, wasted overpays that were entirely unnecessary- looking at you Smith and Jet).

15 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Maiocco said Jimmie Ward will almost certainly start at FS and Verrett is the favorite to start at corner if he is healthy. I mean not huge surprises there, but also we kind of can let go of the idea of picking someone up like Boston. Looks like we are done there and if we do go with another FS, it will be in the draft.

If Verrett is healthy and starting, what happens to Moore? Witherspoon?

Archived