2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 hour ago, struby3 said:

Scharping did not play well against Iowa. I kept wondering why people were so high on him. Maybe it was just an off day...I haven't watched any of his other games.

Epenesa beat him like a drum on one play. It was pretty ludicrous looking. Scharping lunged and just got smoked when he whiffed. Was a very bad play on his part. I would also say though that Epenesa is developing very nicely for Iowa on the edge, so that doesn't bug me too much. But that's why I don't see him in the first. Second round with a year to sit makes a ton of sense. Last year he only gave up like 5 quarterback hurries all year against a really weak schedule. This year, the schedule is a lot more difficult, so I expect him to be up and down some. Just a different class of players week in and week out. But I still like what I see and outside of that one play, he was largely fine in that game in my opinion. 

On 9/26/2018 at 9:08 AM, Forge said:

The starters who could have cold markets allowing us to get lucky (Tyler Eifert, Delanie Walker) - Walker is older and now coming off a dislocated ankle that ended his season. However, through last year he was still proving to be a quality tight end, and he also is a strong blocker. Eifert would be perfect as a TE2, he has the actual upside and talent of a quality TE1, you could limit his snaps, and you don't have to worry about the injury history so much since you're not relying on him as a starter.

And just like that, Eifert's season is probably over. Just shredded his ankle it looks like. So if you want a super high upside TE2, maybe he'll be there. At some point, the Bengals will just have to move on. 

I dont think leveon fits what Kyle wants in a running back. Maybe that's a reason to change what you are looking for, but I just have a hard time believing that a Shanahan will pay big money to a runner.. 

Leveon can catch passes, which seems to be a big part of what Kyle wants a running back to be able to do, but I don't think he would run the outside zone play that well. I would be all for it though. 

@Forge Golden gate will be a 49er next year. He fits the type of player we cover to a T. I have very little doubt that we will offer him big bucks and that golden will be wearing red and gold. Just makes too much sense

11 hours ago, N4L said:

@Forge Golden gate will be a 49er next year. He fits the type of player we cover to a T. I have very little doubt that we will offer him big bucks and that golden will be wearing red and gold. Just makes too much sense

We desperately need a #1 WR who can score TDs, so paying big money to a guy about to turn 31 that averages only 4 TDs a season DOES sound like something we are going to do. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

We desperately need a #1 WR who can score TDs, so paying big money to a guy about to turn 31 that averages only 4 TDs a season DOES sound like something we are going to do. 

LOL, Golden Tate is very solid and can replace Garcon I guess, but he isn't the type of guy we are missing right now. Honestly, the progression of Pettis will dictate a lot of things. He has the potential to be our starter opposite of Goodwin. Shanny doesn't seem like the guy that will want to pay WRs big bucks anyways.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

That's exactly my point. He's the type of player we have gone after in the past. Even if you go back a few regimes we haven't really gone after a big bodied '#1' type of WR, despite how many times fans clamor for it. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Overall, I hope Kyle realizes this off season that his scheme is great but we need a couple more pieces on that offense. 

I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. We're playing without McKinnon, which really hurts the creativity of the offense. We also didn't get to see Jimmy G get into a rhythm with his offense yet. We saw a ton of dropped passes and almost big plays in his small sample size this year. As fun as it would be to have a shiny new toy on offense, I think our money and picks are best spent on the offensive line, pass rushing, and pass coverage. 

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. We're playing without McKinnon, which really hurts the creativity of the offense. We also didn't get to see Jimmy G get into a rhythm with his offense yet. We saw a ton of dropped passes and almost big plays in his small sample size this year. As fun as it would be to have a shiny new toy on offense, I think our money and picks are best spent on the offensive line, pass rushing, and pass coverage. 

I guess you can saw I'm a bit worried that it seemed that guys couldn't get open but I guess no goodwin in 2 of the games Jimmy played will do that to our offense.

I think if Goodwin we're healthy, no one would be complaining about our WRs. I think we're doing pretty good for an offense who has their #1 WR healthy for all of maybe 3 quarters. What I will say is maybe we need to add another speedster to help for depth purposes but I don't have an issue with the group as a whole. Guys just need to catch the ball really. Drops/concentration have been a concern but we've had our QBs miss wide open guys as well. Guys are getting open relatively consistently...I'll take that. Red-zone woes are a playcalling/scheme issue IMO.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I guess you can saw I'm a bit worried that it seemed that guys couldn't get open but I guess no goodwin in 2 of the games Jimmy played will do that to our offense.

I'll admit, I haven't been as invested in diving deep into the film the past few weeks, but during the Vikings game, guys were open all over the place, they either dropped it or sack happened. Shanahan knows how to scheme guys open, so paying big for a top-end WR doesn't seem like the best investment. I want to see the Niners get a good, competent 3rd RB, a pass-catching #2 TE, and about 4-6 new offensive linemen. 

On defense, I'd invest quite a bit in a top-end pass rusher, then double down and draft one late and/or sign depth pass rusher. I'd get another outside corner, another pass-covering LB, and maybe a single-high safety to push Colbert. 

After all of that, if there is a WR that fell in our lap in the draft or a special circumstance happened in FA to free up a premium WR, I'd consider signing/drafting that guy. 

I don't get why people keep talking about the offensive line. It really hasn't been a problem. The sacks have largely been coverage ones or the QB not recognizing the blitz. The line has been fine.

Having receivers that can consistently get open and catch the ball has been a problem. The offense has always been missing a playmaker. It's not a bigger need than pass rush or defensive backfield, but it's certainly next on the list.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I don't get why people keep talking about the offensive line. It really hasn't been a problem. The sacks have largely been coverage ones or the QB not recognizing the blitz. The line has been fine.

Having receivers that can consistently get open and catch the ball has been a problem. The offense has always been missing a playmaker. It's not a bigger need than pass rush or defensive backfield, but it's certainly next on the list.

The Oline maybe be serviceable now, but would you re-sign any of our guards to a long-term deal? We don't even have young guys waiting in the wings to take over. I don't think signing an OG to a huge deal is necessary, but we really need to draft some talent on the interior for the future.

Archived