2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

• 1 month later...

Going to start updating this now as we edge toward the end of the season. A lot has changed since week 3. Some changes have been made and noted in the original posts. I tried to bold them out to make them noticeable and added "update" verbage to most as well. 

I didn't know this, but apparently Spotrac and OTC already have the roll over included in salary caps for future years. I didn't know this. I thought that we were going to have closer to 100m in space with rollover, however it looks like we will only have about 60-65 million. Still a ton, obviously (7th most overall) but a lot less than I thought.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:26 PM, Forge said:

I didn't know this, but apparently Spotrac and OTC already have the roll over included in salary caps for future years. I didn't know this. I thought that we were going to have closer to 100m in space with rollover, however it looks like we will only have about 60-65 million. Still a ton, obviously (7th most overall) but a lot less than I thought.

I still think if we're creatiive, we can get rid of quite a few contracts. Mitchell, Gilliam, Celek, Smith and Garcon. Even Armstead and K'uann (though doubtful we move on from those two). Despite having a lot of cap we can pretty easily free up more. 

Just now, John232 said:

I still think if we're creatiive, we can get rid of quite a few contracts. Mitchell, Gilliam, Celek, Smith and Garcon. Even Armstead and K'uann (though doubtful we move on from those two). Despite having a lot of cap we can pretty easily free up more. 

I messed around with it the other day and got us to 88, and that was with franchising Gould and tendering Lee. I think I included a cut on armstead, so even if we don't do that we are at 80. I used Garcon as a June 1 cut, which is unnecessary, but figured what the heck. 

I cut Gilliam, celek, Marsh, coyle and Mitchell I believe

On 11/25/2018 at 1:02 PM, Forge said:

He's really good

If you had your choice between one of these FA LB's, who would you choose?

• K.J. Wright
  • Denzel Perryman
  • Jordan Hicks
  • Anthony Barr
  • C.J. Mosely
  • Kwon Alexander

My choice: Either K.J. Wright or Anthony Barr. I like that Wright knows the system and is a good, all-around LB. For Barr, I like that he has been pretty productive in pass coverage and he offers a little pass rushing ability as well. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I messed around with it the other day and got us to 88, and that was with franchising Gould and tendering Lee. I think I included a cut on armstead, so even if we don't do that we are at 80. I used Garcon as a June 1 cut, which is unnecessary, but figured what the heck. 

I cut Gilliam, celek, Marsh, coyle and Mitchell I believe

God, we really have no one of value signed to a big number outside of Staley, Sherm and Jimmy G. And outside of Jimmy G, we're getting the other two below market rate. 

I think if we see a couple of these guys go before Free Agency (guessing Coyle, Garcon and Mitchell, Gilliam possibly in TC), I would expect a mid 2000's level Redskins style hoarding of FA talent. I'm talking Thomas, Barr, Brandon Graham and possibly someone like Tyrell Williams at receiver. 

Just now, John232 said:

God, we really have no one of value signed to a big number outside of Staley, Sherm and Jimmy G. And outside of Jimmy G, we're getting the other two below market rate. 

I think if we see a couple of these guys go before Free Agency (guessing Coyle, Garcon and Mitchell, Gilliam possibly in TC), I would expect a mid 2000's level Redskins style hoarding of FA talent. I'm talking Thomas, Barr, Brandon Graham and possibly someone like Tyrell Williams at receiver. 

How about getting Thomas, Barr, Graham, Ford, Williams and then trading for OBJ????

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

• K.J. Wright
  • Denzel Perryman
  • Jordan Hicks
  • Anthony Barr
  • C.J. Mosely
  • Kwon Alexander

My choice: Either K.J. Wright or Anthony Barr. I like that Wright knows the system and is a good, all-around LB. For Barr, I like that he has been pretty productive in pass coverage and he offers a little pass rushing ability as well. 

In order

1. Moseley

2. Barr

3. Kwon

4. KJ Wright

5. Hicks,

Mosely because he's already a top 5 ILB, Kwon and Barr because I think they could be much better in a new situation. Barr especially. Kwon is super intriguing too. 

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

In order

1. Moseley

2. Barr

3. Kwon

4. KJ Wright

5. Hicks,

Mosely because he's already a top 5 ILB, Kwon and Barr because I think they could be much better in a new situation. Barr especially. Kwon is super intriguing too. 

if I'm going to spend big on a LB in FA, I want him to be on the field for all three downs and not be a liability in coverage. I know Barr fits that description, but I don't know a ton about the other guys.

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

• K.J. Wright
  • Denzel Perryman
  • Jordan Hicks
  • Anthony Barr
  • C.J. Mosely
  • Kwon Alexander

Definitely Hicks. He is soooooo underrated. He could play Mike and allows us to move Warner to SAM, which I think would accelerate his growth and allow him to play fast and instinctive. Hicks is a tackling machine, who is great in coverage also. Just a smart, heady player who I think would be a perfect Mike in this scheme. Barr is a very good player but not worth the money he's going to command as a free agent. I think Hicks would be cheaper and the Mike is a tougher find than a Sam.

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

if I'm going to spend big on a LB in FA, I want him to be on the field for all three downs and not be a liability in coverage. I know Barr fits that description, but I don't know a ton about the other guys.

Barr should be used as a blitzer way more than he has been. That's part of why I like him. He fills multiple roles for us and is still young. Kwon is rangey af. If anything, he needs to be better against the run, but he and David were the only two great players on that defense. Mosely is do it all. KJ Wright is old so I would be a little leery of him, Hicks iirc is always injured.

Truly, I would be happy with any of those guys assuming we don't overpay. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Definitely Hicks. He is soooooo underrated. He could play Mike and allows us to move Warner to SAM, which I think would accelerate his growth and allow him to play fast and instinctive. Hicks is a tackling machine, who is great in coverage also. Just a smart, heady player who I think would be a perfect MIKE in this scheme. 

Warner should be no where near SAM. He's fine where he is. Hicks would still be a great get. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Warner should be no where near SAM. He's fine where he is. Hicks would still be a great get. 

I disagree. He can definitely play the SAM. He played there some this year and looked fine. He's no different than a guy like Wright was early in his career. 

Archived