2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

11 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I didn't want to trigger a notificaton and got caught in a silly forum war, so I'm not quoting directly, but I wanted to respond to this:

Lynch and Yord are so obsessed with "class" that they drafted Reuben Foster in the first round not even two years ago. One could say that because of the experience with Foster, they became more intolerant to the lack of "class". But I think it's more a question of "talent trumps lack of class". OBJ is talented enough to overcome the stigma. But not enough for #2 overall, straight up, of course.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure I'd consider OBJ as classless, though. Sure, he's a bit of a diva. There was stuff with his contract. Comments about Eli, were there not? But outside of that, was there any other off-field issues? Did he get into fight? Failed drug tests? Dog fighting rings? As far as the human being is concerned, I don't know that I have a problem with OBJ. Antonio Brown has been far more concerning, with an alleged domestic dispute, skipping practices, calling out Big Ben and Tomlin, etc, practically forcing himself out of Pittsburgh. Meanwhile, OBJ didn't say a word. I guess it's part of the reasons why one went for a 3rd and a 5th, and the other fetched a first rounder.

OBJ works his butt off and the fans love him for the off-field stuff he puts in for them. He's always staying late to sign autographs. He's a brand at this point, and I'm not surprised the Giants don't want to deal with that. Character is not his issue in my opinion, I think it's just all of the noise around him. 

edit: language

1 hour ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Glazer's point was the Browns weren't interested in Manziel AT ALL. He was full of ****, as he was numerous times throughout his career. 

Nope. Don't buy it. It took extra effort to write "at #4" on multiple occasions indicating he specifically meant specifically what was written. Had he wanted to say they wouldn't "at all" he would have left off the "at #4" or simply replaced "#4" with "all." 

What is happening here is simply you having a vendetta against Glazer for whatever reason without having the ability to prove your point. 

Now, having done this. I'm bowing out of this conversation because the five minutes I have spent on it is too much given that there is exactly zero chance of you giving it up. You are going to try again, but it's reached the end for me.

27 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Nope. Don't buy it. It took extra effort to write "at #4" on multiple occasions indicating he specifically meant specifically what was written. Had he wanted to say they wouldn't "at all" he would have left off the "at #4" or simply replaced "#4" with "all." 

What is happening here is simply you having a vendetta against Glazer for whatever reason without having the ability to prove your point. 

Now, having done this. I'm bowing out of this conversation because the five minutes I have spent on it is too much given that there is exactly zero chance of you giving it up. You are going to try again, but it's reached the end for me.

Then why would he say they would take Glazer himself over Manziel? The implication there is clearly that the Browns do not like Manziel. 

47 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I didn't want to trigger a notificaton and got caught in a silly forum war, so I'm not quoting directly, but I wanted to respond to this:

Lynch and Yord are so obsessed with "class" that they drafted Reuben Foster in the first round not even two years ago. One could say that because of the experience with Foster, they became more intolerant to the lack of "class". But I think it's more a question of "talent trumps lack of class". OBJ is talented enough to overcome the stigma. But not enough for #2 overall, straight up, of course.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure I'd consider OBJ as classless, though. Sure, he's a bit of a diva. There was stuff with his contract. Comments about Eli, were there not? But outside of that, was there any other off-field issues? Did he get into fight? Failed drug tests? Dog fighting rings? As far as the human being is concerned, I don't know that I have a problem with OBJ. Antonio Brown has been far more concerning, with an alleged domestic dispute, skipping practices, calling out Big Ben and Tomlin, etc, practically forcing himself out of Pittsburgh. Meanwhile, OBJ didn't say a word. I guess it's part of the reasons why one went for a 3rd and a 5th, and the other fetched a first rounder.

I don't have a problem with OBJ. It's just the usual case of the media identifying a target and looking for crap to attack him for. 

But most NFL front office people buy into all of that. That's why OBJ and Brown were both traded...the front offices of their teams bought into the "chemistry/character/class" nonsense. 

Anomalies like John Dorsey know it's crap. But John Lynch is not an anomaly.

Reuben Foster's concern coming out was one incident at the combine. OBJ has been a media villain for years now over repeated mountains out of molehills. 

43 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

OBJ works his butt off and the fans love him for the off-field stuff he puts in for them. He's always staying late to sign autographs. He's a brand at this point, and I'm not surprised the Giants don't want to deal with that. Character is not his issue in my opinion, I think it's just all of the noise around him. 

edit: language

I agree. OBJ is a big personality and that can be a reason teams would stay away, but character isn't a problem. Similar to Sherman- Shanalynch will gladly take on big personalities with talent. They just didn't win on this one. #2 is too rich when the system can manufacture production at the WR spot and draft a younger, less expensive superstar at a much more valuable position at #2.

3 hours ago, XScutterX said:

John "all I care about is getting HIGH CHARACTER players with CLASS" Lynch,

What Lynch actually said. https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-John-Lynch-looking-to-build-culture-not-11095836.php

“I think the one thing to know — and I’ve learned from playing and from this process — is people have issues,” Lynch said. “Just like a lot of people in life have issues. And so if you’re looking for a bunch of choirboys, that ain’t happening. It would be hard to fill a team. But we believe in football character. Do they love football? Are they dependable? Are they accountable?”

And then he went and drafted Reuben Foster knowing the issues.

7 hours ago, typecast said:

What Lynch actually said. https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-John-Lynch-looking-to-build-culture-not-11095836.php

And then he went and drafted Reuben Foster knowing the issues.

Yeah, what this means is he'll consider players who had off field/criminal history, so long as it's not domestic violence (because the feminists in SF will scream and cry about it).

But he won't consider guys who have what he considers "poor football character," which is OBJ, Antonio Brown, etc. Guys who never got in trouble off the field but whom the media claims are "bad locker room guys." 

Perusing through the list of free agent scraps Austin Seferian-Jenkins would be a solid addition at this point.

Also would Jamie Collins line up at SAM in our system? I feel like he's a clear upgrade over PitaT and the German guy

4 hours ago, the-catch said:

If they want DeFo their next words better be "we also gonna add some Saquon"

Did they seriously think this was going to happen? 

Giants must have known that Odell wanted to come play with JIMMY GQ out by THE BAY and sent him to Cleveland Ohio in the AFC instead lol 

No chance the giants actually thought we would make that deal, so it was a fake offer to d*ck us around and waste our time... jerks

AHMAD BRADSHAW FUMBLED 

6 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Yeah, what this means is he'll consider players who had off field/criminal history, so long as it's not domestic violence (because the feminists in SF will scream and cry about it).

This is an official warning. I need you to stop bringing up sociopolitical topics on this forum. Even as one-off comments. 

1 hour ago, mw2noobbuster said:
Whoever predicted Burfict going to the Raiders after I posted the tweet good job lol.

Brown is gonna be pissed! 

I'm probably not too far from overserved, but am compelled to expose that... why is Brown gonna be pissed? :/ 

Archived