2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

On 3/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, NFLExpert49 said:

How naive do you have to be to think that John "all I care about is getting HIGH CHARACTER players with CLASS" Lynch, operating under the ownership of Jed "whether we win or lose, we're going to do it with class" York would be interested in ******* ODELL BECKHAM JR?

Hi I live in NJ.  I am literally minutes away from both the Giants stadium and team offices.  I know people with connections to the Giants.  I know people who know people involved in the drafting of OBJ(the former GM of the Giants lived in the town I grew up in when he was with the team.)  I am also in the echochamber known as the NY area sports media.  So when the contract situation happened it was reported on daily.

I can tell you that the general consensus was he was well liked on the team.  He had antics but it wasn't of the TO or Antonio Brown level.  Dude wanted to win and was expressive in a way that showed that he was a young dude with a lot to learn.  There was the one year Giants fans thought he was a TO in the making but once they realized it they were sold in such a way that the general consensus is they hate both that he was traded and for as little as he was in their eyes.

Yes there was a point where the media here killed him for some things.  But it was still eventually chalked up as him being young.  If you think he is classless just be lucky players in the 80s and 90s didn't have social media to deal with.

3 hours ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

Hi I live in NJ.  I am literally minutes away from both the Giants stadium and team offices.  I know people with connections to the Giants.  I know people who know people involved in the drafting of OBJ(the former GM of the Giants lived in the town I grew up in when he was with the team.)  I am also in the echochamber known as the NY area sports media.  So when the contract situation happened it was reported on daily.

I can tell you that the general consensus was he was well liked on the team.  He had antics but it wasn't of the TO or Antonio Brown level.  Dude wanted to win and was expressive in a way that showed that he was a young dude with a lot to learn.  There was the one year Giants fans thought he was a TO in the making but once they realized it they were sold in such a way that the general consensus is they hate both that he was traded and for as little as he was in their eyes.

Yes there was a point where the media here killed him for some things.  But it was still eventually chalked up as him being young.  If you think he is classless just be lucky players in the 80s and 90s didn't have social media to deal with.

As I said, I don't buy into all the crap about OBJ, or any other supposed "diva" receiver for that matter. That's just sports media crap. If you notice, they only say it about the stars. And then they act like it's a mystery why it's always wide receivers they attack. Well, how is a defender or an offensive lineman going to complain about not getting the ball so that they can get bashed for it? Receivers have a role that is mostly about touching the ball, and they touch the ball by far the least of any of the players whose main purpose is touching the ball. Plus, they have a symbiotic relationship with the quarterback. No other positions are tied together like that. 

The problem is, most NFL front office members buy into this type of BS as well. The more wild, aggressive GMs like John Dorsey will go after the receivers in spite of it, but the conservative rah rah ones either buy into it, or are afraid of what others in the league would think of them if they acquired said receiver. 

What happened with Earl Thomas? Were the 49er just out-bid?

I have yet to see any evidence that they ever got into the bidding. They certainly weren’t in on the two next-best free safeties, Adrian Amos and Lamarcus Joyner, suggesting that, beyond Ward, they weren’t looking at the position at all in free agency. 

So it really doesn't look like we ever had any real interest in the safety market this off season. I'm guessing the plan was always to bring Ward back on a one year deal along with Colbert to be the backup. Colbert gets a year to try and grow into the role, Ward gets a year to prove his worth. If Ward fails, we draft a guy in 2019 (thinking that we aren't drafting one this year),  and Colbert gets first crack at moving into the starting lineup next year. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So it really doesn't look like we ever had any real interest in the safety market this off season. I'm guessing the plan was always to bring Ward back on a one year deal along with Colbert to be the backup. Colbert gets a year to try and grow into the role, Ward gets a year to prove his worth. If Ward fails, we draft a guy in 2019 (thinking that we aren't drafting one this year),  and Colbert gets first crack at moving into the starting lineup next year. 

ET himself said he was surprised he actually got a long term deal. He was expecting a one year deal from someone.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Colbert can cover ground that's for sure. I know INTs aren't everything but give me a few son!

23 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Colbert can cover ground that's for sure. I know INTs aren't everything but give me a few son!

When he was playing well in his rookie season he had a cast on his hand, so I'll give him a bit of a break. I think Colbert will come back this season and win that FS spot and he will be playing well again. I think he learned some tough lessons this season and he will show some serious growth this upcoming season.

58 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

When he was playing well in his rookie season he had a cast on his hand, so I'll give him a bit of a break. I think Colbert will come back this season and win that FS spot and he will be playing well again. I think he learned some tough lessons this season and he will show some serious growth this upcoming season.

This seems overly hopeful, even for me 

The guy looked like he had no business being on the roster last year. There were some really bad reads on his part, some of the worst I've seen in the NFL.

It's just hard for me to believe that 2017 was the real Colbert rather than the 2018 version considering he was a 7th round pick. If he was a second round pick? Ok, I'd cut him some more slack, but given the entire NFL basically said they don't think he can play, then he plays horribly, it makes me have some serious questions about if he will ever sign a second contract 

Everyone starts with a clean slate this year so I guess we will see how he does in preseason 

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

This seems overly hopeful, even for me 

The guy looked like he had no business being on the roster last year. There were some really bad reads on his part, some of the worst I've seen in the NFL.

It's just hard for me to believe that 2017 was the real Colbert rather than the 2018 version considering he was a 7th round pick. If he was a second round pick? Ok, I'd cut him some more slack, but given the entire NFL basically said they don't think he can play, then he plays horribly, it makes me have some serious questions about if he will ever sign a second contract 

Everyone starts with a clean slate this year so I guess we will see how he does in preseason 

I'm more in line with @Gore Whore 21 in regards to Colbert. 

I said this in another thread, but Colbert wasn't able to have the same opportunity to rebound from his slow start as Akhello Witherspoon. Snap count wise he had 530 in 2017 vs 320 in 2018, so its hard to really say he had that bad of a season when he only played about 6 games. 

For reference Antoine Exum played about 600 snaps, Marcell Harris played 360, and Jimmie Ward 390 snaps. 

You can say that his 2018 was the worst you've ever seen, but his play at the end of 2017 was some of the best safety play I've seen on this team in a long time. 

Him being a 7th round pick really is irrelevant. 

Colbert is actually the reason that I Don't think that we will even draft a FS in this draft. I Think the goal is to give Ward the starting job and have him play well. He will undoubtedly get hurt, but I think the theory in place was to have Ward be here. If he plays well, extension (or let him walk for comp pick), let Colbert continue to develop (and of course get playing time when Ward undoubtedly gets hurt), and then take over in 2020. We will then draft a safety in 2020 to back up Colbert and be there just in case Colbert completely craps the bed 

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

Colbert is actually the reason that I Don't think that we will even draft a FS in this draft. I Think the goal is to give Ward the starting job and have him play well. He will undoubtedly get hurt, but I think the theory in place was to have Ward be here. If he plays well, extension (or let him walk for comp pick), let Colbert continue to develop (and of course get playing time when Ward undoubtedly gets hurt), and then take over in 2020. We will then draft a safety in 2020 to back up Colbert and be there just in case Colbert completely craps the bed 

This is my fear too. I brought it up before, but since giving Exum the extension, if we drafted a safety we'd have 6 safeties and that's a lot of capital and talent to cut. it seems like we're going to be skipping safety until mid late rounds, if we even go safety at all.  I think WR in round 2 and IOL/OT/Edge in round 3, depending on talent shakeout. 

Just now, John232 said:

This is my fear too. I brought it up before, but since giving Exum the extension, if we drafted a safety we'd have 6 safeties and that's a lot of capital and talent to cut. it seems like we're going to be skipping safety until mid late rounds, if we even go safety at all.  I think WR in round 2 and IOL/OT/Edge in round 3, depending on talent shakeout. 

Yep, I said the same thing in the draft thread. I see TE / O-line as being legitimate options in round 3 over free safety (with rounds 1/2 being Bosa/QW and WR). 

Archived