2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins "assuredly will" release DE Robert Quinn.

Jackson believes Miami will also "likely" do the same with fellow DE Andre Branch. Releasing Quinn, who was acquired from the Rams this time last year, will save the Dolphins over $12.9 million against the cap, while Branch's release would free up another $7 million. The moves make sense financially but would leave Miami with precious little depth off the edge. Cameron Wake could also be shipped out as a veteran on a surefire tanking club. Quinn, 29 in May, had 6.5 sacks as a 16-game starter last season.

13 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Chris Conley is a FA I’d prefer over most of what’s on the market. I like Tate a lot but he’s a little pricey. Tyrell Williams is my favored target with the size and speed and I feel he is greatly underrated thought of as only this deep ball threat and that’s it but really isn’t the case at all. He just gets recognition for those plays only. If you watch prior years of his when Allen was hurt he runs a variety of routes and does so well. Lastly the WR who I think could be a great get for a team if they refine his WR skills a bit and put him in position to use his athleticism is Chris Conley who’s still fairly young at 25 I believe. Moncrief for me personally I wouldn’t hate but would be very “meh” on as there’s not much upside for him, other than potential surprise other than him playing a full 16 game season for a second year in a row which would probably be the highlight of that signing if I had to guess.

I agree 100% 

I remember watching Conley at the NFLPA Bowl a few years back thinking this dude has everything. Good redzone target. Highest combine vertical jump too. 

The Athletic's Sheil Kapadia writes the Eagles will not exercise DT Timmy Jernigan's option for 2019.

The option, which has to be picked up by March 13, would pay Jernigan $11 million. Kapadia simply writes, "That’s not happening." It is possible the two sides agree to a pay cut which keeps Jernigan in Philly. Absent that, Jernigan should be headed to the open market once free agency opens.

I remember when he was a hot commodity a couple of years back but the Ravens opted to keep Brandon Williams over him.

A lot of mediocre, failed to live up to potential, or not quite worth their price tag pass rushers will be available this offseason. I’d like to get two of these guys, personally I want Justin Houston and Shaq Barrett for LEO and SAM added with hopefully Bosa or Allen and I think not only our pass rush but our secondary play improves greatly.

7 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I agree 100% 

I remember watching Conley at the NFLPA Bowl a few years back thinking this dude has everything. Good redzone target. Highest combine vertical jump too. 

Meh both him and Moncrief are Combine stars who have yet to really put it together. Either is a wash but I could understand wanting to give either a shot. Both are still relatively young and could find their way in this scheme, with Shanny at the helm. I just wouldn't bank on either turning the corner and living up to their measurables.

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh both him and Moncrief are Combine stars who have yet to really put it together. Either is a wash but I could understand wanting to give either a shot. Both are still relatively young and could find their way in this scheme, with Shanny at the helm. I just wouldn't bank on either turning the corner and living up to their measurables.

sounds like the same thing people said about the guy who's currently our WR1 when we signed him

On 2/25/2019 at 6:33 PM, PapaShogun said:

Gould was talked about by David on the Better Rivals podcast recently. The entire tagging situation. He kind of goes off, which is a little funny. Starts at the 3:25 mark.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/niners-nation/e/58911145

Essentially why giving the tag to Gould really isn't the best approach. Personally, I agree :)

In a sport where the margin for error is small, one missed extra point or FG can be the difference between winning and losing any one particular game. In a league with only 16 games, one game is often the difference between the playoffs and the couch, why wouldn't you want to pay a few million dollars more to someone who hits 5-7 more fgs than the league average? 

I couldn't help but laugh when they said 'oh that four million could be spent on an edge rusher' as if any edge rusher on the market for four million dollars is going to tip the scales of winning and losing in our favor more than the guy who will LITERALLY LEAD OUR TEAM IN POINTS

There is zero opportunity cost associated with paying Gould 2-3 million more than the next guy for this upcoming season. If the difference between goulds salary and the salary of 'reliable kicker x', the mystery kicker who is somehow both cheap and consistent, was substantial enough to account for more than a literal 1% difference in our cap, then sure, there might be some opportunity cost especially considering the cap rolls over. I don't think that this tag will prevent us from signing anyone THIS year, because we won't spend all of our cap space 

They say that we have a finite amount of resources but fail to address the fact we also have a finite amount of roster spots. You have to spend money on your team. I'd like to hear who they expect us to sign for one million dollars as they were implying. Most veteran kickers get 2-3 million per season

Yes, kickers are volatile, but that means you pay for consistency in the position if you can find it, not the other way around. 

They kept talking about going for it on fourth down, and how in the long run that would equate to more points. They were equating that mindset to kicking and saying "over long periods one or two misses won't matter". The NFL has a single elimination playoffs and a 16 game regular season, one or two misses can be the difference between glory and defeat.

There is a reason that analytics are more common in sports with bigger sample sizes. All analytics are doing is playing the odds. I'd rather have better odds to convert kicks to increase my chances to win 

Funny how they bring up the fact the xp is moved back as a reason to NOT pay a kicker lol

Also funny how they said most of his kicks came within 40 yards, as if he has done poorly on kicks longer than 40 yards? He's basically hit from every distance with consistency. 

I saw something about the kickers that Kyle has had in his career, he's had some bad kickers. There was a good 5 year stretch where Kyle's teams didn't hit 80%.

People forget how much of an emotional game this is and how everything affects everything. Having the rest of the team have confidence in our kicker will only benefit us everywhere else on the field, as silly as that sounds on paper. Having a productive drive but stalling then missing a kick can demoralize your team. 

I think it's silly that people have such an issue with this lol 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

In a sport where the margin for error is small, one missed extra point or FG can be the difference between winning and losing any one particular game. In a league with only 16 games, one game is often the difference between the playoffs and the couch, why wouldn't you want to pay a few million dollars more to someone who hits 5-7 more fgs than the league average? 

I couldn't help but laugh when they said 'oh that four million could be spent on an edge rusher' as if any edge rusher on the market for four million dollars is going to tip the scales of winning and losing in our favor more than the guy who will LITERALLY LEAD OUR TEAM IN POINTS

There is zero opportunity cost associated with paying Gould 2-3 million more than the next guy for this upcoming season. If the difference between goulds salary and the salary of 'reliable kicker x', the mystery kicker who is somehow both cheap and consistent, was substantial enough to account for more than a literal 1% difference in our cap, then sure, there might be some opportunity cost especially considering the cap rolls over. I don't think that this tag will prevent us from signing anyone THIS year, because we won't spend all of our cap space 

They say that we have a finite amount of resources but fail to address the fact we also have a finite amount of roster spots. You have to spend money on your team. I'd like to hear who they expect us to sign for one million dollars as they were implying. Most veteran kickers get 2-3 million per season

Yes, kickers are volatile, but that means you pay for consistency in the position if you can find it, not the other way around. 

They kept talking about going for it on fourth down, and how in the long run that would equate to more points. They were equating that mindset to kicking and saying "over long periods one or two misses won't matter". The NFL has a single elimination playoffs and a 16 game regular season, one or two misses can be the difference between glory and defeat.

There is a reason that analytics are more common in sports with bigger sample sizes. All analytics are doing is playing the odds. I'd rather have better odds to convert kicks to increase my chances to win 

Funny how they bring up the fact the xp is moved back as a reason to NOT pay a kicker lol

Also funny how they said most of his kicks came within 40 yards, as if he has done poorly on kicks longer than 40 yards? He's basically hit from every distance with consistency. 

I saw something about the kickers that Kyle has had in his career, he's had some bad kickers. There was a good 5 year stretch where Kyle's teams didn't hit 80%.

People forget how much of an emotional game this is and how everything affects everything. Having the rest of the team have confidence in our kicker will only benefit us everywhere else on the field, as silly as that sounds on paper. Having a productive drive but stalling then missing a kick can demoralize your team. 

Kicker, punters, long snappers and return guy. Things you don't think are important until it matters.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Couldn't have put it better or more eloquent myself... Excellent post N4L.

8 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

sounds like the same thing people said about the guy who's currently our WR1 when we signed him

But that's also a guy that 2 years later, the staff believes is nothing more than a good rotational piece and are expected to try and upgrade this offseason. 

8 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Yea but Goodwin has a skill very few WRs in this league possess....elite speed. You can usually coax production out elite speed with the right OC. And Goodwin is far from a WR1. He may be for us but that's certainly by default...

Archived