2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Yea, I haven't heard much if anything either on him other than his cap hit was a big reason for his release. While admittedly just box score scouting he had a fairly competent year and from remembering how he was used at his time in NE seems like a guy who could float between WILL/MIKE and SAM. Would be an interesting add to our team though.

Honestly, thinking about it...if we could get him on a real solid deal...I would mind using him solely as a blitzing SAM backer now that I think about it. He's probably going to get much more on a contract than a position like that would warrant, but definitely a scenario in which I'm good with his signing. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, thinking about it...if we could get him on a real solid deal...I would mind using him solely as a blitzing SAM backer now that I think about it. He's probably going to get much more on a contract than a position like that would warrant, but definitely a scenario in which I'm good with his signing. 

Exactly, keep his role simple, get after the QB after jamming a TE or crash down the line. His versatility to play off ball LB would just be added benefit. Highly unlikely in my mind but an idea seeing as our SAM LB depth is fairly empty.

I guess he was decent last season. He'll be 29 in August. Started every game the last three seasons. Browsing the Jaguars subreddit, the fans aren't thrilled at the move. The safety market will be crowded, but perhaps Gipson could be a strong candidate to go to the 49ers. Doesn't Jacksonville still run a similar defense under Todd Wash? 

Niners and packers are reportedly expressing interest in Dee Ford, not sure how I feel about that with one year of production and with what his price tag to acquire in trade might be. I think I’d rather have Houston and Griffen for two mid to low draft picks 

4 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Niners and packers are reportedly expressing interest in Dee Ford, not sure how I feel about that with one year of production and with what his price tag to acquire in trade might be. I think I’d rather have Houston and Griffen for two mid to low draft picks 

I mean he was hurt in 2017, but the season prior had 10 sacks. So his last two healthy seasons he's been over the double digit mark. 

The thing is if we get him, it is likely both are top picks will be going to edge rushers (Ford and/or Bosa/Allen). Now, we can trade back and accumulate picks and that's probably what we end up doing. Dream scenario would be getting Ford, swapping 1sts and getting OBJ (2020 1st included) and then with the 6th pick getting a stud in White. Even possibly Williams if he falls. Now that would be a great overhaul that makes us a legitimate playoff contender. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean he was hurt in 2017, but the season prior had 10 sacks. So his last two healthy seasons he's been over the double digit mark. 

The thing is if we get him, it is likely both are top picks will be going to edge rushers (Ford and/or Bosa/Allen). Now, we can trade back and accumulate picks and that's probably what we end up doing. Dream scenario would be getting Ford, swapping 1sts and getting OBJ (2020 1st included) and then with the 6th pick getting a stud in White. Even possibly Williams if he falls. Now that would be a great overhaul that makes us a legitimate playoff contender. 

He’ll be 28 I believe with only two years of above average production. It just gives me some pause on trading away high end picks for him. The Chiefs have very little on defense outside of him, Houston and Fuller, why do they want to get rid of him if he’s that good? Scheme? We run a 4-3 too. 

Side note, while we are in a dire need for a pass rusher, acquiring Ford does not immediately make us a playoff contender. There are still many holes on this roster. In fact adding Ford doesn’t even sure up the defensive side of the ball as we still need a LB next to Warner, a FS, identify who our SS is going to be as well as NB, find a SAM worth leaving on the field as well as some possible CB depth since none of our CBs had anything above an average season, including Sherman. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but that’s the reality of our defense, it was a high 20 ranked unit last year. 

A Dee Ford acquisition has too many moving parts to really get a feeling on it at this point yet. How much he would cost in trade, what kind of contract are we signing him to? If we are trading for him, I'm assuming that we are giving him an extension (otherwise he may not sign the tag to be traded), which could run anywhere from 18-20 per year. He's got some injury history, which I don't love of course. I am not in love with that idea, but have to see how it shakes out. 

I was really coming around to the idea of Everson Griffen. Kind of sucks. He would have been considerably cheaper in trade compensation I think, his deal is already set and we could have walked from it at any time with no dead money, and his hits would have been in the 11 and 13 range for the next two years (I assume that he probably wouldn't see 2021 and 2022).  

As for Griffen:

Despite the lack of a verified account, Vikings fans said that this guy has been pretty accurate in the past. So it appears that the Griffen rumors were just that - rumors. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

As for Griffen:

Despite the lack of a verified account, Vikings fans said that this guy has been pretty accurate in the past. So it appears that the Griffen rumors were just that - rumors. 

Damn, I think I would have preferred him as well compared to my assumed price for Dee Ford. Holding out hope for Houston.

58 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

He’ll be 28 I believe with only two years of above average production. It just gives me some pause on trading away high end picks for him. The Chiefs have very little on defense outside of him, Houston and Fuller, why do they want to get rid of him if he’s that good? Scheme? We run a 4-3 too. 

Side note, while we are in a dire need for a pass rusher, acquiring Ford does not immediately make us a playoff contender. There are still many holes on this roster. In fact adding Ford doesn’t even sure up the defensive side of the ball as we still need a LB next to Warner, a FS, identify who our SS is going to be as well as NB, find a SAM worth leaving on the field as well as some possible CB depth since none of our CBs had anything above an average season, including Sherman. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but that’s the reality of our defense, it was a high 20 ranked unit last year. 

But who said Ford alone makes us a playoff contender? Ford+ET+Bosa which would be a real possibility sure make that defense a whole lot better. And is 28 supposed to be a bad thing here or something? Sorry, not understanding that. Is that too old for your liking? Pass rushers have shown they can be effective past the age of 30.  

If you want to say he only has two years of good production, that is fair and not arguable. However, those two years have been the last two years he's been healthy. So his last two full seasons he is averaging 11.5 sacks. 

If we trade him, we will almost surely have to extend him by paying him in the 17-18M range. And I understand that will be too rich for some's liking but that's just the reality with these pass rushers.

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

As for Griffen:

Is this guy verified though? Not saying Griffen will or will not be moved, but he's just basing it off of the lack of reports on Griffen since the original rumors. And they were in fact rumors. But we were just linked to Dee Ford and I'm guessing we will be linked to other pass rushers as well so maybe if we can't get a deal for someone like Ford, we turn our attention to the likes of Griffen/Houston? 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But who said Ford alone makes us a playoff contender? Ford+ET+Bosa which would be a real possibility sure make that defense a whole lot better. And is 28 supposed to be a bad thing here or something? Sorry, not understanding that. Is that too old for your liking? Pass rushers have shown they can be effective past the age of 30.  

If you want to say he only has two years of good production, that is fair and not arguable. However, those two years have been the last two years he's been healthy. So his last two full seasons he is averaging 11.5 sacks. 

If we trade him, we will almost surely have to extend him by paying him in the 17-18M range. And I understand that will be too rich for some's liking but that's just the reality with these pass rushers.

I will say that I think if we trade for Ford, I think its far more likely we trade out, and the we will only go pass rusher at #2 if it's for sure Bosa on the board (I don't think we would draft Allen / Sweat / etc at that point). If we trade for Ford, I would expect a trade down and then probably a selection of someone like White

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Is this guy verified though? Not saying Griffen will or will not be moved, but he's just basing it off of the lack of reports on Griffen since the original rumors. And they were in fact rumors. But we were just linked to Dee Ford and I'm guessing we will be linked to other pass rushers as well so maybe if we can't get a deal for someone like Ford, we turn our attention to the likes of Griffen/Houston? 

Vikings fans say that he has been pretty reliable in the past despite the lack of a verified account. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I will say that I think if we trade for Ford, I think its far more likely we trade out, and the we will only go pass rusher at #2 if it's for sure Bosa on the board (I don't think we would draft Allen / Sweat / etc at that point). If we trade for Ford, I would expect a trade down and then probably a selection of someone like White

I had this scenario in the other thread....But it involved getting OBJ in the process LOL.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Vikings fans say that he has been pretty reliable in the past despite the lack of a verified account. 

I said verified but meant reliable. So he is? Good to know. But still, his tweet didn't read like he had confirmed anything but just going off reports or lack of reports he's hearing. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I had this scenario in the other thread....But it involved getting OBJ in the process LOL.

It's really going to depend on if the Giants value that pick swap at all. Giants fans have been saying since I brought this up that what I'm proposing isn't enough (swap of picks this year, frp next year + sweetener). Honestly, should be more than enough given the value difference between 2 and 6, but admittedly, will depend greatly on whether or not the Giants actually value that swap (if they want Haskins, or to be perfectly honest, if they decide they really want Bosa and he is there). If they don't think that they need to move up for Haskins, or would rather risk it because they are comfortable with getting Daniel Jones with their second pick, then yeah, that pick swap isn't going to really hold a lot of value in trade negotiations and I doubt anything comes of it. If they feel like they absolutely have to make that trade up to secure Haskins, that swap is going to hold some really decent value for them, and the easiest way to make that happen (particularly with them lacking third and fourth round picks now) is to have that as part of an OBJ trade. 

Archived