2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

21 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'd like signing a free agent to big money a whole lot more than trading for Dee Ford and then signing him to big money. We should definitely explore every free agent option before trading assets and ending up spending a lot of money too. If the trade market is not great for Ford, the Chiefs might not have a choice to release Houston, and we could then sign him for much less than other options. But if we want to go for youth and upside, let's go for a guy like Flowers, for sure. 

Yes, yes, and more yes. Agree. winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

8 hours ago, sherm said:

Just some more thoughts on why I like Collins. We missed out on 2 young stud S the past 2 drafts/off-season with similar skill set. Hopefully we don't for a 3rd yr in a row. If this type of player can't fit in our scheme...then it's not the player that is the problem. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-a-team-can-get-the-most-out-landon-collins

What this defense needs is not a box safety. We need safties with range, who can defend the deep third and have great awareness in zone. Guys who are active in and around the box. Not necessarily do their best work in the box. I feel like we have guys with potential to be very good box safties like Tartt and Harris. The draft is littered with box safety types. Why do you think the Giants are letting Collins go? Box safeties are easier to replace. Their production can more easily be replicated with tweaks in the scheme and/or personnel. 

What we need and is rare to find is a true center field type with range and ball skills. Those guys rarely hit the market and a harder to scout and draft for.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

What we need and is rare to find is a true center field type with range and ball skills. Those guys rarely hit the market and a harder to scout and draft for.

Maybe last year was more of a necessity for him outside, but I was considering the move back to S for Tarvarius Moore. He's got the range you speak of, and will have the rookie awe shaken off by now. Let him battle it out with Colbert for that role. Draft a CB and move Moore to FS, if we don't get what we need via FA. 

confused-shrug-smiley-emoticon.gif

Just now, oldman9er said:

Maybe last year was more of a necessity for him outside, but I was considering the move back to S for Tarvarius Moore. He's got the range you speak of, and will have the rookie awe shaken off by now. Let him battle it out with Colbert for that role. Draft a CB and move Moore to FS, if we don't get what we need via FA. 

I don't hate the idea if we strike out in free agency for the big boys. I hate to yoyo a player's development in that regard a lot of times, but he may be a bigger impact player on this defense in that role. 

9 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Meh, I wasn't impressed with Moore in college as a FS. I thought he would be better served as a CB at the next level Sure he is plenty fast and athletic but I didn't think his IQ was great and because of that, he didn't display the range his athleticism should have allowed for. And he played the position all through college. I thought he looked fine last year as a rookie. He should only improve. I see no reason to give up on him as a CB.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He will have some suitors but we should definitely be in the sweepstakes to sign him. 

I am preparing for a long couple of days where we are in on literally every edge rusher on the market lol

Just now, Forge said:

I am preparing for a long couple of days where we are in on literally every edge rusher on the market lol

We should be on the market for every legit pass rusher. Biggest weakness on the team. Should also be on the market for every legit FS. Basically, this entire free agency will be heavily towards the defensive side of the ball. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We should be on the market for every legit pass rusher. Biggest weakness on the team. Should also be on the market for every legit FS. Basically, this entire free agency will be heavily towards the defensive side of the ball. 

First free agent signing Jermaine Kearse confirmed :P

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Damn it, so Cowboys STILL in the ET sweepstakes? 

I really wonder how big of a deal the Texas thing is for him. There's simply no way that they can compete with us from a bidding standpoint. I've seen some contract estimates having him around 11-13m apy, and I've already said I'm more than willing to go 4/60 and 15m apy. Dallas can't compete with that, and the difference between 15 and 13 does absolutely nothing to do us right now. That should also cover the difference in taxes for him as well. So it really is going to come down to whether or not he just wants to stay in Texas (though I though I had read somewhere at one point that he wouldn't take a discount to play there).

That being said, the darkhorse could be the Texans. They have a ton of cap space, and while they want to bring Honey Badger back, he apparently wants to test the market (as he should), and I thought there were rumors of a few teams already being very interested in him. So it's very possible that Houston loses Honey Badger and gets in on that ET bidding, and if that is the case, I think that is pretty much worse case scenario for us. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really wonder how big of a deal the Texas thing is for him. There's simply no way that they can compete with us from a bidding standpoint. I've seen some contract estimates having him around 11-13m apy, and I've already said I'm more than willing to go 4/60 and 15m apy. Dallas can't compete with that, and the difference between 15 and 13 does absolutely nothing to do us right now. That should also cover the difference in taxes for him as well. So it really is going to come down to whether or not he just wants to stay in Texas (though I though I had read somewhere at one point that he wouldn't take a discount to play there).

That being said, the darkhorse could be the Texans. They have a ton of cap space, and while they want to bring Honey Badger back, he apparently wants to test the market (as he should), and I thought there were rumors of a few teams already being very interested in him. So it's very possible that Houston loses Honey Badger and gets in on that ET bidding, and if that is the case, I think that is pretty much worse case scenario for us. 

Yeah, I mentioned the Texans a few days back. Gets to stay in Texas and the Texans can match any deal we throw ET's way. 

Cowboys just can't possibly guarantee nearly as much as we can. Forget the APY, they are going to be paying some BIG bucks starting 2020.

Packers are another darkhorse for ET. 

Archived