2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I really wonder how big of a deal the Texas thing is for him. There's simply no way that they can compete with us from a bidding standpoint. I've seen some contract estimates having him around 11-13m apy, and I've already said I'm more than willing to go 4/60 and 15m apy. Dallas can't compete with that, and the difference between 15 and 13 does absolutely nothing to do us right now. That should also cover the difference in taxes for him as well. So it really is going to come down to whether or not he just wants to stay in Texas (though I though I had read somewhere at one point that he wouldn't take a discount to play there).

That being said, the darkhorse could be the Texans. They have a ton of cap space, and while they want to bring Honey Badger back, he apparently wants to test the market (as he should), and I thought there were rumors of a few teams already being very interested in him. So it's very possible that Houston loses Honey Badger and gets in on that ET bidding, and if that is the case, I think that is pretty much worse case scenario for us. 

what alot of folks don't get is Houston is closer to ET's hometown of Orange , Texas...not dallas

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why? He's not coming here anyways. 

Rapoport reported two things today on NFL network. First, the Cowboys are "by no means out" on Earl Thomas. There may be a bidding war between the Cowboys and 49ers for his services. You guys are already discussing that. Second, the Jets and 49ers are the two teams he's hearing competing for Bell's services. (Should also be noted that since then, AGB is dropping hints that the Ravens are going to pursue Bell hard)

3 minutes ago, typecast said:

Rapoport reported two things today on NFL network. First, the Cowboys are "by no means out" on Earl Thomas. There may be a bidding war between the Cowboys and 49ers for his services. You guys are already discussing that. Second, the Jets and 49ers are the two teams he's hearing competing for Bell's services. (Should also be noted that since then, AGB is dropping hints that the Ravens are going to pursue Bell hard)

Rapoport said we are two of the main teams interested in Bell? Highly doubt that especially with the deal we gave McKinnon last offseason. 

Did he actually mention 49ers and Cowboys are the two teams most after Thomas? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rapoport said we are two of the main teams interested in Bell? Highly doubt that especially with the deal we gave McKinnon last offseason. 

Did he actually mention 49ers and Cowboys are the two teams most after Thomas? 

Yes. Yes.

I'm not going to believe Ian on that one, if only because I can't imagine that our FO would really be that stupid...and I'm one of the most critical of their free agent decisions. 

The only way that deal even begins to remotely make sense is if we really did trade Breida to the Vikings in a Griffen deal as was rumored. We are underwater on McKinnon, and Breida is coming off a great year. Sure, he's not a workhorse, but if you can get over 5 yards per carry from him over 150 carries a season, especially on a udfa contract, that' great efficiency and asset utilization. But even if we deal Breida...that's still stretching what I would call "logical". Would still be a bad idea. 

Rapoport also talked about Dee Ford's possible trade being put into a holding pattern. Teams like the Packers and 49ers are hesitant to give him a lot of guaranteed money after the compensation KC gets. The tone in his voice pretty much indicated that unless a team can get over those feelings, Ford may end up staying in KC.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to believe Ian on that one, if only because I can't imagine that our FO would really be that stupid...and I'm one of the most critical of their free agent decisions. 

The only way that deal even begins to remotely make sense is if we really did trade Breida to the Vikings in a Griffen deal as was rumored. We are underwater on McKinnon, and Breida is coming off a great year. Sure, he's not a workhorse, but if you can get over 5 yards per carry from him over 150 carries a season, especially on a udfa contract, that' great efficiency and asset utilization. But even if we deal Breida...that's still stretching what I would call "logical". Would still be a bad idea. 

plus he's a Shannahan..the master of getting the most of unknown Rbs...It would be nice to get Bell but I'll pass.

Just now, typecast said:

Rapoport also talked about Dee Ford's possible trade being put into a holding pattern. Teams like the Packers and 49ers are hesitant to give him a lot of guaranteed money after the compensation KC gets. The tone in his voice pretty much indicated that unless a team can get over those feelings, Ford may end up staying in KC.

He probably should. Its a tough sell if you're giving up a good pick for him to then go and unload 18 million per season and something like 50 guaranteed on a guy. He's good, but he's had some injuries and there are certainly some worries with him moving forward. At some point, you just feel slightly more comfortable taking your chance on the rookie class. Plus, I still think other edge rushers could be had in trade for less compensation and on cheaper deals. 

2 minutes ago, typecast said:

I hope he does stay in KC. I don’t trust Dee Ford. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He probably should. Its a tough sell if you're giving up a good pick for him to then go and unload 18 million per season and something like 50 guaranteed on a guy. He's good, but he's had some injuries and there are certainly some worries with him moving forward. At some point, you just feel slightly more comfortable taking your chance on the rookie class. Plus, I still think other edge rushers could be had in trade for less compensation and on cheaper deals. 

I think I rather sign Houston and keep the draft pick.

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

plus he's a Shannahan..the master of getting the most of unknown Rbs...It would be nice to get Bell but I'll pass.

Honestly, I love that our running game is basically built on pure speed. The guys who have succeeded in this system since Shanny got here? The fast ones. The guys that haven't? The plodders. Look at the last two years. Breida (speed) out averaged Hyde (plodder) by half a yard per carry. Mostert only had 6 carries, but still average 5 yards per, higher than both. This year? The two fast guys (Breida, Mostert) averaged 5.3 yards per carry (Breida, one of the league leaders) and Mostert averaged an obscene 7.7! Limited Sample of only 34 carries, but again, there's a pattern here. Meanwhile, the two guys who aren't blasting through holes, Morris and Wilson? 3.9 and 4.0. This run game is built for speed. That's not Bell, who is all about patience, waiting for things to open up, etc etc etc. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I love that our running game is basically built on pure speed. The guys who have succeeded in this system since Shanny got here? The fast ones. The guys that haven't? The plodders. Look at the last two years. Breida (speed) out averaged Hyde (plodder) by half a yard per carry. Mostert only had 6 carries, but still average 5 yards per, higher than both. This year? The two fast guys (Breida, Mostert) averaged 5.3 yards per carry (Breida, one of the league leaders) and Mostert averaged an obscene 7.7! Limited Sample of only 34 carries, but again, there's a pattern here. Meanwhile, the two guys who aren't blasting through holes, Morris and Wilson? 3.9 and 4.0. This run game is built for speed. That's not Bell, who is all about patience, waiting for things to open up, etc etc etc. 

Honestly more than anything, I think Shanny is enamored with receiving backs. He's all about having as many receiving options on the field at one time. 

Don't buy the Bell rumors but if Shanny wants him, it's more with his pass blocking and receiving than his rushing ability. 

2 hours ago, typecast said:

Yes. Yes.

So I saw the clip Rapoport was talking about Thomas and he didn't mention the 49ers. Just talked about the safety market and said the Cowboys are still in the race for him. 

Dante Fowler re-signs with the Rams. One edge rusher out, but I didn't want him anyways. 

Archived