2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Aren't their stats on how oftne they ran coverages?  I feel like towards the end of the year, we just switched to Cover 2 and things worked out a lot better. 

It's possible...we blitzed a ton more down the stretch, and that doesn't really go with the Cover 3 zone scheme for the most part. Typically teams that run that cover 3 have some of the lowest blitz percentages in the league. So it's possible that with the higher blitz came more cover 2. 

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

dunno man. I'm going back to young Tarvarius Moore. Draft a CB, and move him back to his best spot... range FS. He's got experience, length, and 4.32 speed for range. Just needs to be further coached up. 

Might be our best bet at this point, and it still doesn't take a day two S off the board.

I actually really liked what I saw from him at corner last year. I don't think that is a good idea. He was drafted to be a corner, I don't think he was a great S in college but he could potentially be a very good corner in the pros. 

Just now, mw2noobbuster said:

Isn’t he heavily injury prone? I mean I’ll take it at this point. 

He is. He's Jimmy Ward level injury prone, but when he does play he's borderline all-pro. 

@oldman9er I sort of wonder if Moore getting moved back to safety was always part of the plan. Lynch has been incredibly outspoken about safties learning how to play corner to aid their development. Wouldn't hate the idea of moving him back to FS if they kept him their permanently. Just don't want what we did to Ward to happen again. 

2 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Isn’t he heavily injury prone? I mean I’ll take it at this point. 

Heavily injury prone is putting it nicely lol. 

That being said, talent wise, he's the best corner on this market. Whether his talent is still there after all the injuries, I don't know. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

He is. He's Jimmy Ward level injury prone, but when he does play he's borderline all-pro. 

@oldman9er I sort of wonder if Moore getting moved back to safety was always part of the plan. Lynch has been incredibly outspoken about safties learning how to play corner to aid their development. Wouldn't hate the idea of moving him back to FS if they kept him their permanently. Just don't want what we did to Ward to happen again. 

Yeah maybe. I don't think it's like learning a new language altogether. I'm not banging the table about it. But people are complaining about not having a S with range, and well, that's not entirely true. They took our range S and used him at CB because we had other options as FS. 

Now, we are low on options.. and he could do the job required, imo. Just needs polish... even less polish than, say a 2nd rd rookie in this Draft that everyone's begging for. 

I know we have Dee Ford now and will probably take Bosa, but there are still some nice options out there at EDGE. I would love to see the Niners go after these guys to compete with Blair and Marsh for roster spots:

• Shaq Barrett - would command a decent contract and would almost certainly make either Marsh or Blair expendable 
  • Justin Houston - same as Barrett but potentially more expensive
  • Zeke Ansah - real nice prove-it deal candidate that fits our scheme
  • Vinny Curry - potential buy-low guy who could compete for a roster spot
  • Shane Ray - same as Curry but might be a little more expensive
  • Markus Golden - same as Ray

Washington trying to bring back Clinton-Dix.

Well, looks like we will just re-sign Ward and probably draft a safety. 

Still want to make a play for Darby/Verrett. Like I said, those are the types of one year deals we will be interested in. 

Just now, Forge said:

Exciting....

Safety is disappointing, but fine with the rest. Get me Darby or Verrett and I'm a happy man. 

As for WR? Getting a mid level WR doesn't make sense since we have that already in Bourne. So let's either trade for someone like Green, or ride it out and wait to draft one. 

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

Recent convo reminded me of this related article, so if you missed it...

Young 49ers defense is starting to grasp Saleh’s scheme, and it’s showing

http://www.knbr.com/2018/12/17/young-49ers-defense-is-starting-to-grasp-salehs-scheme-and-its-showing/

Now just imagine it in 2019 with a successful LEO. 

Imagine it with third year leaps from guys like Thomas/Spoon and then with the addition of Bosa, Williams or Allen? Overall, was not a fan of the Alexander signing, but defense could take considerable leaps still. Excited about that....But man it hurts my heart to not have the FS position figured out.

Archived