2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

46 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I think most Texans fans are overall happy with his play.

I think most Texans fans, if allowed hindsight, would much rather have preferred Mack and are rather disappointed with Clowneys 29 career sacks over 5 years. That all said, I think the Texans use the franchise tag and let him prove these past two seasons of 9 sacks are the real Clowney, sort of like the Chiefs will do without Dee Ford.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

I think most Texans fans, if allowed hindsight, would much rather have preferred Mack and are rather disappointed with Clowneys 29 career sacks over 5 years. That all said, I think the Texans use the franchise tag and let him prove these past two seasons of 9 sacks are the real Clowney, sort of like the Chiefs will do without Dee Ford.

Of course you would almost always make different choices in hindsight. I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in china. I guess the point I'm making is that people who have watched him the closest for 6 years feel that he is worthy of a high paying contract for the most part.

I'd hazard a guess that signing brock osweiler was a bigger mistake than taking clowney.

Sorry I'm not trying to rag on you or anything, Furey, although that may be how it comes across. I enjoy your posts and agree with you far more often than I disagree.

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Of course you would almost always make different choices in hindsight. I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in china. I guess the point I'm making is that people who have watched him the closest for 6 years feel that he is worthy of a high paying contract for the most part.

I'd hazard a guess that signing brock osweiler was a bigger mistake than taking clowney.

Sorry I'm not trying to rag on you or anything, Furey, although that may be how it comes across. I enjoy your posts and agree with you far more often than I disagree.

No hard feelings at all. I get your point as well and can’t speak to the level of his play as well as probably any Texan fan can. I just don’t quite see the level of production worthy of a contract that could greatly eat into our cap space. As much as I despise them, the Patriots don’t throw money around, they don’t seek out the athletic freaks or the guys who may or may not be worth an extremely rich contract (albeit the talk of their interest in AB and OBJ kind of undermines that) but they find pieces that fit their system. I think that’s what I’m more a fan of for two reasons, it works as you can tell by Brady and BB’s ring count and they are never cap strapped nor forced to do anything allowing them great team flexibility. Two of the greatest ever? Sure, but impossible to duplicate? I don’t think so, especially with what we’ve seen Shanny be able to do with UDFAs at important positions. If we can apply this “find the piece that fits our puzzle, not most puzzles” idea I think we can have a similar type of franchise. I don’t like the idea of throwing that kind of cash at one player, nor trading multiple high end draft picks and valuable commodity for super star divas like OBJ and AB. It’s shown time and time again not to work with the rare impact Mack had with the Bears happening every once in a while but those chances are very low. And the biggest hesitance towards big time signings for us is Lynch’s track record so far with our FA deals, it’s pretty rough. I know the franchise and team were a dumpster fire so overpaying for players was going to have to happen to get any kind of talent to come here not to mention the state taxes but we’ve rarely hit on our FA signings. For the money it would take to land Clowney I’d gladly take Barrett and Smith instead, better our odds at actually hitting on one of these signings and not have so much money tied up to one guy. 

A bit long winded but just my two cents into my thinking with this FA period. I’d love to add multiple difference makers just like everybody else, but with the past data I have to use as example, at this point I’d just like some guys who are actually worth being on the field and who are effective in our system. Let’s get the ball rolling their and then start wheeling and dealing on these large contracts.

My thing with Clowney is it's not only the modest production, it's his tape. At least half of his 9.5 sacks last year came with him standing up, blitzing over the A and B gaps. He didn't consisently get to the QB from the edge, on a four man rush. Whoever our next Leo will be, it is paramount that they be able to affect the pocket w/o help from the blitz, primarily just rushing four. Clowney didn't nearly do enough of that, effectively. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

My thing with Clowney is it's not only the modest production, it's his tape. At least half of his 9.5 sacks last year came with him standing up, blitzing over the A and B gaps. He didn't consisently get to the QB from the edge, on a four man rush. Whoever our next Leo will be, it is paramount that they be able to affect the pocket w/o help from the blitz, primarily just rushing four. Clowney didn't nearly do enough of that, effectively. 

Is that on him or the coaching staff? I never did like how he ended up in 3-4 def.

56 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Is that on him or the coaching staff? I never did like how he ended up in 3-4 def.

Well I mean it's not like he didn't rush along the edge a ton....he just didn't get home alot. Sure it has something to to do with scheme, with him playing in a 3-4 OLB. But in nickel situations, he still had his hand in the dirt, more times than not. I just didn't see him defeat OTs, one-on-one, enough. He should be a terror off the edge, for any OT to deal with. That's not really the case. I just found this vid and they pretty much mirror everything I mentioned about his game...

16 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well I mean it's not like he didn't rush along the edge a ton....he just didn't get home alot. Sure it has something to to do with scheme, with him playing in a 3-4 OLB. But in nickel situations, he still had his hand in the dirt, more times than not. I just didn't see him defeat OTs, one-on-one, enough. He should be a terror off the edge, for any OT to deal with. That's not really the case. I just found this vid I they pretty much mirror everything I mentioned about his game...

They also mention a name I forgot about JPP, surely TB will look to move him?

22 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well I mean it's not like he didn't rush along the edge a ton....he just didn't get home alot. Sure it has something to to do with scheme, with him playing in a 3-4 OLB. But in nickel situations, he still had his hand in the dirt, more times than not. I just didn't see him defeat OTs, one-on-one, enough. He should be a terror off the edge, for any OT to deal with. That's not really the case. I just found this vid I they pretty much mirror everything I mentioned about his game...

Except they also called him an elite edge defender, as he graded out as the second best run defender in the league. Yes, they said he doesn't get home enough because he doesn't have the flexibility to really bend the edge. The also mentioned that his pressures and sacks have gone up every year that he has been in the league.  

I think people get too caught up in that he was the first overall pick instead of just acknowledging that he is a damn good player. Worth the first overall? No, not in hindsight as was mentioned before, but we wouldn't have to spend a draft pick to get him assuming he becomes a free agent (which I doubt he will). However on the off chance that he does personally I would much rather spend our cap space on him than any of the malcontented WRs around the league.

I can tell you that as of this weekend the 49ers have had no discussions about reworking Armstead’s deal. The 49ers have been non-committal thus far when asked about their plans with Armstead. They may be waiting until they get a better sense of how free agency will shape up for them.

Per barrows

Archived