Week 4: BYE Week

Ghostnote

The Redskins are so close to being a damn good football team. They are right there. Basically a LG and stud WR away from being one of the best teams in the NFC. The Redskins can accomplish both of these things in the draft next year. I’m not sure if Jay will be back but this team is on the cusp. 

13 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The Redskins are so close to being a damn good football team. They are right there. Basically a LG and stud WR away from being one of the best teams in the NFC. The Redskins can accomplish both of these things in the draft next year. I’m not sure if Jay will be back but this team is on the cusp. 

I'd also add edge rusher and more importantly MLB to those needs. In the order of most needed LG,MLB,WR,Pass Rusher 

On 9/27/2018 at 9:53 PM, lavar703 said:

If Jay isn’t back it’s likely to be a step back as they’ll be implementing new offensive and new defensive schemes. Rarely does a team with a new HC pick up where the former HC left off, implementing new schemes and with the former coaches talent. It usually takes a few years.

The only HCs who have had success doing this are the ones who take over championship caliber teams that were already built. 

The Raiders, Bucs and Steelers come to mind. For Callahan (who was Gruden’s OC in Oak) Gruden (who took over Dungy’s great defense, kept it the same while improving the offense) and Tomlin inherited a championship caliber football team from Cowher when he decided to retire for family issues and his wife’s declining health. 

On 9/28/2018 at 11:41 AM, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I'd also add edge rusher and more importantly MLB to those needs. In the order of most needed LG,MLB,WR,Pass Rusher 

I’m not so sure, yes, we all want to have a perfect team. But, if you have rely on above average MLB & OLB play, and not elite, your defense can still be good enough to win a championship. That’s what the Eagles had last year. They had a few great players, but mostly they just had good players all over on offense and defense.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If Jay isn’t back it’s likely to be a step back as they’ll be implementing new offensive and new defensive schemes. Rarely does a team with a new HC pick up where the former HC left off, implementing new schemes and with the former coaches talent. It usually takes a few years.

The only HCs who have had success doing this are the ones who take over championship caliber teams that were already built. 

The Raiders, Bucs and Steelers come to mind. For Callahan (who was Gruden’s OC in Oak) Gruden (who took over Dungy’s great defense, kept it the same while improving the offense) and Tomlin inherited a championship caliber football team from Cowher when he decided to retire for family issues and his wife’s declining health. 

If Jay is gone it will most likely be O’Connell who will basically run the same schemes. They don’t want another McVay situation so I think they hand the reigns to the young guy after this season along with Kyle Smith taking over as GM. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If Jay is gone it will most likely be O’Connell who will basically run the same schemes. They don’t want another McVay situation so I think they hand the reigns to the young guy after this season along with Kyle Smith taking over as GM. 

Maybe, but they could blow everything up. No one can sit here and say they know one way or another. That’s just wishful thinking on your part.

The McVay situation was impossible to avoid. I highly doubt they’re going to fire a very experienced coach to give the job to a guy who’s young and never even been an offensive coordinator. 

Newsfalsh, not every assistant coach is the next Sean McVay.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, but they could blow everything up. No one can sit here and say they know one way or another. That’s just wishful thinking on your part.

The McVay situation was impossible to avoid. 

They can’t blow it up. It’s not possible with Smiths contract situation. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Of the three you mentioned, only Tomlin had sustained success after the previous coach left. And that's in no small part due to the fact he inherited a Hall of Fame quarterback in the beginning of his career.

Callahan took Oakland to the Super Bowl the following year (11-5) in 2002 ... and then the Raiders would not sniff 8 wins until 2010 (four head coaches later).

Gruden took the Bucs to the Super Bowl the first year he was traded (12-4) in 2002 ... but would not win another playoff game for the rest of his tenure (only making it twice). Tampa Bay would also go 45-51 after that SB win.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Of the three you mentioned, only Tomlin had sustained success after the previous coach left. And that's in no small part due to the fact he inherited a Hall of Fame quarterback in the beginning of his career.

Callahan took Oakland to the Super Bowl the following year (11-5) in 2002 ... and then the Raiders would not sniff 8 wins until 2010 (four head coaches later).

Gruden took the Bucs to the Super Bowl the first year he was traded (12-4) in 2002 ... but would not win another playoff game for the rest of his tenure (only making it twice). Tampa Bay would also go 45-51 after that SB win.

Exactly. 

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly. 

Apparently, I should have included the sentence that preceded the part I quoted.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Callahan and Gruden had success for a single year.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Apparently, I should have included the sentence that preceded the part I quoted.

Callahan and Gruden had success for a single year.

Yes, I understand. My point was they had success because they took over teams that were already built championship contenders. I was pointing out those are the only ones I can think of which had great success right away.

You’re the one who added that only Tomlin had sustained success, that wasn’t my point.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:53 PM, lavar703 said:

Really agree with this, although I’d add in an elite pass rusher. I think we’re very solid in our pass rush, we have a lot of guys who can get home — but I think we’d move from a good defense to great if we had a guy who forced opposing offenses to gameplan for him as a threat off the edge.

The one thing I’d say though is that we don’t need to limit ourselves to the draft, at least as far as LG. Even if we don’t want to jump in on (or are prevented by the franchise tag from jumping in on) the top FA pass rushers like Ansah, Lawrence, Matthews, and Wake, there are some solid OGs who we could immediately slot in between Trent and Roullier. We could do a reasonable deal with somebody like Mike Iupati, Andy Levitre, Rodger Saffold, etc. Or we could look at Ryan Kalil and move Roullier over to LG. Definitely options there that wouldn’t require burning one of our top picks. Could always grab a more developmental option in the mid-rounds. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They can’t blow it up. It’s not possible with Smiths contract situation. 

That’s not exactly true. If they were to decide they want to blow the whole thing up after this season, they could. 

Smith has a trigger in his contract where his 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed after the 5th day of the 2019 league year. Which means, practically speaking, that they could get out of his deal after this season  — or not until after that 2020 season. They’d have some pretty substantial dead cap (in either 2019 or 2020 depending on whether they did a pre-June 1 or post-June 1 designation), but it wouldn’t be crippling. And if they’re blowing it up, who cares anyway? A blown-up team shouldn’t be coming close to the salary max.

I don’t think they’re going to want to blow the team up after this year. But if it goes that way, they probably could. 

Archived