Week 4: BYE Week

Ghostnote

40 minutes ago, e16bball said:

We could do a reasonable deal with somebody like Mike Iupati, Andy Levitre, Rodger Saffold, etc. Or we could look at Ryan Kalil and move Roullier over to LG. Definitely options there that wouldn’t require burning one of our top picks. Could always grab a more developmental option in the mid-rounds. 

1. Signing a top tier (or second tier) free agent and drafting depth would be a good idea given the lack of depth the team has.
  2. At the same time, given how Panthers fans (and some Vikings fans) talk about Kalil, I'm not sure should be on the list, especially if it means changing Roullier's position.
45 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Smith has a trigger in his contract where his 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed after the 5th day of the 2019 league year. Which means, practically speaking, that they could get out of his deal after this season  — or not until after that 2020 season. They’d have some pretty substantial dead cap (in either 2019 or 2020 depending on whether they did a pre-June 1 or post-June 1 designation), but it wouldn’t be crippling. And if they’re blowing it up, who cares anyway? A blown-up team shouldn’t be coming close to the salary max.

Except that his 2019 salary was fully guaranteed at signing. So, unless you think the Redskins can afford to take $36.6M (or $20.4M in 2019 and $16.2M in 2020 if designated a "June cut") in dead cap, there is no out.

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

At the same time, given how Panthers fans (and some Vikings fans) talk about Kalil, I'm not sure should be on the list, especially if it means changing Roullier's position.

I think you might be thinking about his brother. Matt Kalil is the former Vikings (now Panthers) LT who is sort of a bum. 

Ryan Kalil is the 5-time Pro Bowl, multi-time All-Pro center who has played his whole career with the Panthers. 

But from looking into him a little more, it looks like he’s already planning to retire after this season. So still not a good option, either way. 

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think you might be thinking about his brother. Matt Kalil is the former Vikings (now Panthers) LT who is sort of a bum. 

Ryan Kalil is the 5-time Pro Bowl, multi-time All-Pro center who has played his whole career with the Panthers. 

But from looking into him a little more, it looks like he’s already planning to retire after this season. So still not a good option, either way. 

Yes. I would not have thought Ryan would be available.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ryan Kalil is 33, going to be 34 next March.

Call me crazy, but here’s an idea. Let’s roll with Roullier at center and draft us an OG in round 2 or 3 next draft...

I like this ,BUT--I think of Roullier as more a finesse over strength guy.  Good feet , moves well but worried a real bull nose guy might overpower him . IF,, a real top center is available . I'd sure have to consider that route and move Roullier to guard. 

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I like this ,BUT--I think of Roullier as more a finesse over strength guy.  Good feet , moves well but worried a real bull nose guy might overpower him . IF,, a real top center is available . I'd sure have to consider that route and move Roullier to guard. 

1. I think I'd rather have my finesse guy at center than at guard, since I'm going to expect my guard to pull and clear the way for my running back on sweeps.
  2. I would also rather not force a guy (who looks to be a good center) to re-learn a new position just because we can get a "real top center." 

6 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. I think I'd rather have my finesse guy at center than at guard, since I'm going to expect my guard to pull and clear the way for my running back on sweeps.
  2. I would also rather not force a guy (who looks to be a good center) to re-learn a new position just because we can get a "real top center." 

This, we’ve found a long term option at center. Can we please find a long term option at LG? I have no interest in moving Roullier to LG permanatley. He’s a good center, keep him there in the future.

Obviously the WRs he’d more targets, the one that continues to be a head scratcher for me is Crowder. I understand the outside WRs not getting has many targets as Reed & Thompson, but Crowder should have about the same as each of them and he hasn’t been targeted enough.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Obviously the WRs he’d more targets, the one that continues to be a head scratcher for me is Crowder. I understand the outside WRs not getting has many targets as Reed & Thompson, but Crowder should have about the same as each of them and he hasn’t been targeted enough.

I agree but at 2-1 I’ll give some slack in that Alex is learning a new offense and new personnel. I guess more of the share of targets to the backs and tight ends make sense in this regard. I wonder how the targets broke down in KC for him. We know Kelce got a ton. Have to remember if he has a lead especially a 2 score lead Alex isn’t taking any chances. If they were 0-3 I’d be freaking out about this lol. 

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

I agree but at 2-1 I’ll give some slack in that Alex is learning a new offense and new personnel. I guess more of the share of targets to the backs and tight ends make sense in this regard. I wonder how the targets broke down in KC for him. We know Kelce got a ton. Have to remember if he has a lead especially a 2 score lead Alex isn’t taking any chances. If they were 0-3 I’d be freaking out about this lol. 

I’m 100% on board with Alex, just saying I don’t understand why Crowder doesn’t have near as many targets/catches as Reed somewhere from 10-14. Of course he missed Crowder for a 30-yard TD vs the Colts, which I know he hated and wanted that ball back.

I just looked at Crowder’s targets and I guess he isn’t that far off from Reed as that stat would make you believe. Crowder has 12 targets and 9 receptions. Like I said, I’d like that to be more like 14 or 15 recs, but it’s not that far off. I’m going to comment on that tweet that he selectively left that out. 

Archived