Shaheen Injury Effects Not Talked About

dll2000

I was just thinking and came to the conclusion that the not talked about problem is that the Offense  scheme is built around a U flex tight end and Y tight end and the RPO game.  When Shaheen went down they lost their Y TE.  Sims has two catches and stinks.  Other guys aren't stepping up or haven't been asked to.  

Without an effective pass catching Y they can't do their RPO's with success, they can put a smaller faster player on Burton and be done.   So offense has turned into downfield concepts which weren't practiced much because the RPOs take so more time to learn so they naturally did that first.   They are forced to call more WR screens because they aren't getting intermediate yards off set passing concepts, every one knows they are coming and aren't having trouble stopping them.  

That one injury did much to hurt the early development  and success of this offense and nobody thinks about it much because Shaheen did nothing last year so everyone assumes he is no big loss.  But if you watched/read about training camp the offense was practicing 2 TE RPO looks vast majority of time with Shaheen and Burton.  Denver media was appleptic how Sheehan and Burton destroyed their D in practice with those two TEs in joint practices.   The 2 TE look that is a pass threat enables the run to be more effective, 2 TEs is a obviously a better run formation as well, especially when it is a pass threat.   They are trying to run ball out of 3 and 4 WR sets to much less success because its harder.  But its equally hard to run/pass when teams know which one is coming, which is currently the case.  Not as bad as last year because Nagy will throw on first down randomly, but still bad.   

Plan was run game and downfield passing game was all going to be based off defense defending RPO out of 2 TE look first and foremost.  When Shaheen went down it really, really hurt.  That is most of spring and training camp plan and reps out the window and playing to MT's current weaknesses in namely he hasn't practiced what he is being asked to do enough yet.

Of course none of that excuses the multiple downfield misses.  That and success of other young QBs is what has people so upset.

But it is an important thing to think about.  The two TE RPO look was the jab punch that was to set up all the other punches and it just isn't there.  It was what they worked on.

I think Mitch is just playing nervous and thinking too much.  I think he can make those throws easy in a calm state and without 10k things going through his mind.  That will come with time hopefully.  

I think that because he made the throws in camp and at NC.  He made a lot of them.  He has been extremely accurate and it's what got him drafted no. 2.  Pace wasn't the only one who thought highly of him.  Nagy and Reid and Cleveland and others did too.

He's got the yips right now, but he can putt.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

How does KC run the RPO? They have Kielce and who else on the other side?

I dunno.  I haven't watched KC this year.

Whatever they are doing its working.  RPO plays can be run with WRs as separate and different plays.  It doesn't have to be two TEs. 

But my point is Bears started learning it with two TE look and repped the hell out of that most of off season.  It was working in practice and vs. Denver with Shaheen.  Hasn't worked without him.

Its just one factor of many.  Not only thing of course.  They are struggling for other reasons including sub par QB play.

KC has a lot more WR depth and they use jet motion and misdirection more than RPO. The Bears can't threaten defenses with 3+ athletic WRs.

The Eagles are a better model for the Bears' offense with Shaheen playing Ertz's role. His absence makes the offense far more predictable and takes away a lot of what a Nagy/Reid scheme is trying to do through personnel groupings.

16 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

KC has a lot more WR depth and they use jet motion and misdirection more than RPO. The Bears can't threaten defenses with 3+ athletic WRs.

The Eagles are a better model for the Bears' offense with Shaheen playing Ertz's role. His absence makes the offense far more predictable and takes away a lot of what a Nagy/Reid scheme is trying to do through personnel groupings.

Seems like a pretty comparable offense to the Patriots when they had Gronk and Hernandez too.

I think Shaheen would have been a key contributor in this offence had he stayed healthy...not just for Burton to play the Y but also as a player in his own right especially down in the redzone where if Robinson and Burton are seeing most of the coverage it's an easy lay up...and if you do cover him then you open it up for one of the other guys...I fully expect our redzone pct to improve when he returns.

A bit worrisome that our offense has been derailed by losing a TE with a minimal NFL track record.

I suppose that adding in Mitch learning, no, change learning to getting command of a new offense and I guess losing Shaheen could be magnified.

Later in the season or at least next year I expect for Tru to be able to overcome the loss of 1-2 offensive weapons. Now, not so much.

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

A bit worrisome that our offense has been derailed by losing a TE with a minimal NFL track record.

I suppose that adding in Mitch learning, no, change learning to getting command of a new offense and I guess losing Shaheen could be magnified.

Later in the season or at least next year I expect for Tru to be able to overcome the loss of 1-2 offensive weapons. Now, not so much.

Again it's not that its Shaheen great player lost.  Its they lost a key ingredient to what they repped.  

MT even said other day they are calling a lot of plays he hasnt repped (he wasnt that blunt, but that is what he meant).  He said I am a reps guy and i need to rep the plays.  I think the Shaheen loss is a big part of that and that was my thesis.  Could be way off base, but there is logic to it. 

Nagy is callng plays that will work against what he is seeing, but MT isnt executing them becuase he hasnt repped them.  Whats in Nagys brain isnt what is in Mitchs brain yet. 

Its understandable from both sides.  

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Again it's not that its Shaheen great player lost.  Its they lost a key ingredient to what they repped.  

MT even said other day they are calling a lot of plays he hasnt repped (he wasnt that blunt, but that is what he meant).  He said I am a reps guy and i need to rep the plays.  I think the Shaheen loss is a big part of that and that was my thesis.  Could be way off base, but there is logic to it. 

Nagy is callng plays that will work against what he is seeing, but MT isnt executing them becuase he hasnt repped them.  Whats in Nagys brain isnt what is in Mitchs brain yet. 

Its understandable from both sides.  

Very reasonable assumption.

• 1 month later...

So some clarity:

The Bears have 3 weeks to decide if they want to active Adam Shaheen or shut him down for the year. Saturday at 3PM marks the end of week 2. Week three for us, if I'm not mistaken, is sometime before the Lions game on Thanksgiving.

Why wouldn't we want to active him for the Vikings game? If he's not healthy, he's going to get what, one more practice before we play the Lions?

Unless something unforeseen happens (last I read he was at 90%) I think he's active Sunday night :D

34 minutes ago, G08 said:

So some clarity:

The Bears have 3 weeks to decide if they want to active Adam Shaheen or shut him down for the year. Saturday at 3PM marks the end of week 2. Week three for us, if I'm not mistaken, is sometime before the Lions game on Thanksgiving.

Why wouldn't we want to active him for the Vikings game? If he's not healthy, he's going to get what, one more practice before we play the Lions?

Unless something unforeseen happens (last I read he was at 90%) I think he's active Sunday night :D

He's probably not ready for Vikings game, but if it's me no way you shut him down for year.  He is a young guy that needs reps and experience.

He may hurt you a bit due to rust, but its better for long run.  

Archived