Michael Thomas V A.J Green

mdonnelly21

52 members have voted

1. 1. Better WR

• Michael Thomas
    • A.J Green

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Shocking. Why?

Michael Thomas is a better player at this point in time. He's much more physical, has better hands, has shown to be more durable, is 5 years younger, and has also shown to be a more consistent performer the past couple years.

I was able to watch both in person last year against the Vikings. AJ Green was a non-factor, he couldn't beat Xavier Rhodes. I watched Michael Thomas beat Rhodes several times for big plays.

Green was held to 50 or less receiving yards 6 times last year. Michael Thomas was held to 50 or less receiving yards twice last year.

It appears AJ Green is on the downside of his career, and Michael Thomas keeps getting better as he is about to enter his his prime years. Michael Thomas is currently number 1 in receiving yards, and catches, and number 3 in touchdowns catches (I realize Green is currently number 1 in this stat).

Just looking at Michael Thomas's last 10 games (including his playoff performances) has:

1,054 receiving yards, and 8 touchdowns in those 10 games their were 6 defenses he went against that were in the playoffs last year.

In AJ Green's last 10 games he has:

604 receiving yards, and 7 touchdowns in those 10 games their were 3 defenses he went against that were in the playoffs last year.

I think at this point, people would be taking AJ Green based on his name/history as a player, but I don't think it accurately reflects which player is better now and going forward.

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Michael Thomas is a better player at this point in time. He's much more physical, has better hands, has shown to be more durable, is 5 years younger, and has also shown to be a more consistent performer the past couple years.

I was able to watch both in person last year against the Vikings. AJ Green was a non-factor, he couldn't beat Xavier Rhodes. I watched Michael Thomas beat Rhodes several times for big plays.

Green was held to 50 or less receiving yards 6 times last year. Michael Thomas was held to 50 or less receiving yards twice last year.

It appears AJ Green is on the downside of his career, and Michael Thomas keeps getting better as he is about to enter his his prime years. Michael Thomas is currently number 1 in receiving yards, and catches, and number 3 in touchdowns catches (I realize Green is currently number 1 in this stat).

Just looking at Michael Thomas's last 10 games (including his playoff performances) has:

1,054 receiving yards, and 8 touchdowns in those 10 games their were 6 defenses he went against that were in the playoffs last year.

In AJ Green's last 10 games he has:

604 receiving yards, and 7 touchdowns in those 10 games their were 3 defenses he went against that were in the playoffs last year.

I think at this point, people would be taking AJ Green based on his name/history as a player, but I don't think it accurately reflects which player is better now and going forward.

The answer to your response is this.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

AJ Green. I didn't even blink.

Green is a special talent. 

Thomas is a talented receiver playing with Drew Brees.

I think they are different ĺtypes of players with green a much better deep ball wr.

Thomas is much better underneath. I think that ultimately Thomas has been boosted by his QB and coach and the inverse is true for aj.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think that ultimately Thomas has been boosted by his QB and coach and the inverse is true for aj.

I would have agreed with this with Colston. Thomas feels like a different animal to me. I guess Thomas will get more credit for his ability when a QB other than Brees is throwing it to him. 

I just think Thomas is slightly underrated due to the fact that many people think Brees is making him better than he is. But people dont realize Thomas has bailed Brees out on many bad passes these last couple of years.

15 minutes ago, Sauce Castillo said:

I would have agreed with this with Colston. Thomas feels like a different animal to me. I guess Thomas will get more credit for his ability when a QB other than Brees is throwing it to him. 

I just think Thomas is slightly underrated due to the fact that many people think Brees is making him better than he is. But people dont realize Thomas has bailed Brees out on many bad passes these last couple of years.

I’m not doubting his quality as a player. It is like a Belichick Brady situation, they make each other better. 

Or better rice and Montana/Young they were all great and they made each other better rather than x being responsible for the success of y.

3 hours ago, Sauce Castillo said:

These comparisons are always overwhelming based on production, which creates an unfair advantage for those who are in lesser positions to capitalize on said production. The perception of Thomas as a receiver in these WR comparison threads is boosted by his statistics. His statistics are boosted by being the primary target in a outstanding Drew Brees-led offense. Whether Saints fans want to admit it or not it's an advantage some receivers have that some receivers don't. He gets peppered by targets from a future HOF QB who just this past Sunday broke Brett Favre's completion record. Right now his potential - the capacity for him to rack up stats - is maximized by the position he finds himself in in New Orleans. His talent is a perfect match with Brees. Take away the situation to something lesser and his production will follow. This is not to say Thomas isn't a great - even bordering on elite - receiver. I'm not taking anything away from his as a player. He's been phenomenal and is fun to watch. The same could be said about AB. Clearly arguably the leagues best receiver, clearly a future HOF. But to act as though he's put up 1,700, 1,800 yards on any average offense is just unjustified. Big Ben makes an elite receiver maximize his potential. 

Now, the counter argument for this falls something along the lines of "well if Hopkins can produce with Savage what's Green's excuse?". He has. But much of this has to do with targets. And quality targets at that. Green has only been targeted more than 178 times once in his entire career. Our offense doesn't force him the ball.

During AJ Green's best year as a pro - which was cut short due to injury - this was his extrapolated stat-line:

160 targets, 105.6 rec, 1,542.4 yards receiving, 6.4 TDs. That is on par with any receiver on the leagues top tier. And he's doing that with Dalton - whose limitations as a passer have been well-documented. 

During his rookie season with a rookie Andy Dalton he put up a line of 178 targets, 98 receptions, 1,496 receiving yards, and 11 TDs. 

I'm not acting as though production is irrelevant. It's not. Obviously not any receiver can produce at an elite level without first having the elite tools that separate him from his peers. But the perception - both public and of this board - have led me to believe stats carry far too much bearing in these comparisons. It is a moderate piece of the WR ranking pie. And I can wager a guess of how that would come to pass. The answer is obvious, stats are easy and readily available. Watching a receiver and taking everything else into account is far more complicated. 

Now somehow it's gotten to the point with Green where guys like D-Hop are unanimously ranked ahead of Green. I just don't understand. Green is a non-diva, small-market receiver who gets pushed aside in the jostling for the leagues best even though he's on a HOF pace. Imagine for a moment the numbers Green would put up on GB, PIT, or NO. There is no doubt in my mind they would surpass his CIN stats.

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Thomas is much better underneath.

AJ Green lined up in the slot 3 times in 1st and goal situations against the Ravens.  All three ended up in TDs.  I don't think people understand just how unstoppable Green would be if he played in the slot as much as Thomas did, not to mention having Brees throwing those passes...

25 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

AJ Green lined up in the slot 3 times in 1st and goal situations against the Ravens.  All three ended up in TDs.  I don't think people understand just how unstoppable Green would be if he played in the slot as much as Thomas did, not to mention having Brees throwing those passes...

AJ is exceptional. I agree he is strong in the slot, I'd rate Thomas higher but I could be wrong. 

Dalton is decent, but it is a shame AJ will never play with a top 5 qb. 

It is like 2007 Moss, he wasn't at his physical peak, it is hard to imagine what would of happened if he went to ne earlier.

I'll put it like this.  There's no way Thomas would put up this type of production playing with Andy Dalton.  Based off stats, Michael Thomas is the best WR in the league and we all know that isn't close to being true.  Thomas is obviously a really good player, but look at a guy look Odell Beckham Jr. and the dumpster QB he has throwing to him. 

Archived