2017 Preseason GDT Week 2 Browns and Giants

Bucketheadsdad

13 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Oh crap. What about Marcus Martin, I thought he had some tackle skills. 

If Johnson is playing with the 1's who will be playing with the two's and three's? 

don't worry........I'm getting Austin Pazstor on the phone now...

----darn...he won't pick up...but I just got a text from Kevin Schaffer saying "after a few years of reflection, I'm ready to earn my old contract....put me in....I got Osweiler's back..."

Sounds good to me.

---------------------

Seriously though...this shows the lack of tackle depth...

Forget my opinion on Johnson....you expect a 5th rnd rookie tackle to be your backup LT heading into the season and/or center in Erving that is transitioning back to tackle.

I don't know what happened to Drango...I wasn't a fan of his coming out of college nor a fan of his play last year...it's looking like the browns aren't  too high on him either....

I could see them cutting back to back 5th round OL consecutive years with Drango and Johnson...Andrew Berry and co. aren't that great at evaluating that position for some reason. Can't hit on them all but both were head scratchers to me at the time they were drafted especially given other OL talent still available.

Seriously??

One of the few major misses this offseason.

I expect us to sign a player that gets cut after the 53

By the way, the 53 man cut talent feeding frenzy is going to be insane.

28 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

don't worry........I'm getting Austin Pazstor on the phone now...

----darn...he won't pick up...but I just got a text from Kevin Schaffer saying "after a few years of reflection, I'm ready to earn my old contract....put me in....I got Osweiler's back..."

Sounds good to me.

---------------------

Seriously though...this shows the lack of tackle depth...

Forget my opinion on Johnson....you expect a 5th rnd rookie tackle to be your backup LT heading into the season and/or center in Erving that is transitioning back to tackle.

I don't know what happened to Drango...I wasn't a fan of his coming out of college nor a fan of his play last year...it's looking like the browns aren't  too high on him either....

I could see them cutting back to back 5th round OL consecutive years with Drango and Johnson...Andrew Berry and co. aren't that great at evaluating that position for some reason. Can't hit on them all but both were head scratchers to me at the time they were drafted especially given other OL talent still available.

Seriously??

One of the few major misses this offseason.

I expect us to sign a player that gets cut after the 53

By the way, the 53 man cut talent feeding frenzy is going to be insane.

hopefully drafting olinemen isn't Sashi's cryptonite. That could end up tanking the franchise. two players in recent history have superseded an awful offensive, Russel Wilson and his mobility and Big Ben with his large frame and mobility. Not worth banking on.  

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Its not like Sashi has spent high draft picks on offensive linemen. 

But Johnson looks like a free agent you wouldn't sign. 

Drango was below average.  

I didn't use a definite clause, so far the arrow is pointing down.

Rod Johnson has a long way to go, no doubt, but he's also young as hell. Going into his 3rd season (if he makes it that long) he'll be the same age as a lot of rookies.

Shon Coleman was also a Sashi pick, and by all accounts he's looked damned good this summer.

Drango was a 5th rounder I'm assuming they hoped could potentially be a guy who could play both guard and tackle (in a pinch) in a reserve roll.  It may not work out and that's ok, most 5th rounders don't.

You can't bring in 12 rookies per year and expect them all to work out.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Rod Johnson has a long way to go, no doubt, but he's also young as hell. Going into his 3rd season (if he makes it that long) he'll be the same age as a lot of rookies.

Shon Coleman was also a Sashi pick, and by all accounts he's looked damned good this summer.

Drango was a 5th rounder I'm assuming they hoped could potentially be a guy who could play both guard and tackle (in a pinch) in a reserve roll.  It may not work out and that's ok, most 5th rounders don't.

I'm with you here - I'm not concerned in the slightest that Rod Johnson and Spencer Drango aren't world beaters. It seems like offensive line depth is thin, but we need to keep reminding ourselves that Thomas, Bitonio, and Erving are all unavailable. Sashi may not be batting 1000 with o-linemen taken past the 3rd round after two drafts in the books, but between free agency and Shon Coleman, he's done a pretty good job revamping the line, and I wouldn't be surprised if next year is when they devote a 1st or 2nd round pick to taking a quality lineman and refilling the starting talent now that they've worked on getting developmental guys to stock the cupboard with.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I completely agree with you. Johnson is a very very raw prospect. I think they drafted him based on his potential alone not his ability to play early. If he is seeing significant playing time because of injury the Browns are screwed because that means they lost Joe Thomas. I cant see a lot of teams that are in similar situations like the Browns being able to sustain anything if they lose their starting LT. 

If the Browns were investing 1st and 2nd rd picks into these young guys then I would be upset but with what they have, its been small risk and hoping for a decent return. Coleman should hopefully become a solid RT with more playing time he gets.

I''m not worried. Bitonio and Thomas have not been playing. Hopefully these young backups can sit back and learn from the pros. As for Erving.. we should try and trade to a sucker willing to give us a pick for him. I'm officially done with him. He looks clueless out there. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

14 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

But Johnson looks like a free agent you wouldn't sign. 

Drango was below average.  

I didn't use a definite clause, so far the arrow is pointing down.

yeah but we are putting way too much stock into Johnson tho. Dude was not drafted to be a starter from day1. He was drafted so after 3 years or so when Thomas retires, he could be waiting in the wings.

If you google "Rod Johnson Scouting report" none of them are calling him the best tackle prospect or the worst tackle prospect. They talk about how he has the physical traits you want from a tackle, how he has potential, and that he needs to be coached up. If Sashi was suppose to be drafting a starting linemen in the 5th rd, that means the team was in bad shape.

IMO he shouldnt even be playing with the 1s and 2s but because Thomas will only play in the 3rd game and with Erving hurt he is thrusted into the starting spot. Its going to be a great experience. 

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

yeah but we are putting way too much stock into Johnson tho. Dude was not drafted to be a starter from day1. He was drafted so after 3 years or so when Thomas retires, he could be waiting in the wings.

If you google "Rod Johnson Scouting report" none of them are calling him the best tackle prospect or the worst tackle prospect. They talk about how he has the physical traits you want from a tackle, how he has potential, and that he needs to be coached up. If Sashi was suppose to be drafting a starting linemen in the 5th rd, that means the team was in bad shape.

IMO he shouldnt even be playing with the 1s and 2s but because Thomas will only play in the 3rd game and with Erving hurt he is thrusted into the starting spot. Its going to be a great experience. 

fair call B. i hope no one gets hurt tho. 

13 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

This will be a big game for Britton Colquitt. If he struggles again - I am all for the thought  of using anything from the fourth round on to draft JK Scott of Alabama. That kid is a hell of a weapon.

I'll fight Sashi to the death if he takes a punter in the 4th round

Archived