We signed S Eric Reid!

iknowcool

This is amazing news.  Eric Reid isn't Eric Berry or anything, but he's a solid player and fits in extremely well with our defense skill-set wise.  We've been able to get productive seasons out of average safeties before in Rivera's defense - Mitchell, Coleman, old man Adams, old man Mikell, etc.  Reid is the most talented guy we've had at the position in Rivera's tenure here though.  

This also for the first time in what feels like forever makes me feel like the secondary is a strength on this team.  Bradberry has been shadowing the #1 WR all year and did an excellent job vs Jones/Green, Jackson has been outstanding, and Adams is consistent in run support.  Munnerlyn is whatever, but if Reid can step in and produce, our defense should see a noticeable improvement.

Plus, anything to get Colin Jones off the field is a +.  Good special teamer and nothing wrong with that, seems like a good dude, but he shouldn't be a starter.

Also just try to keep it to football.

Sweet. I am worried about his concussions though. He's kinda notable for having a lot, kinda like Luke is.

A clear upgrade over Da'Norris Searcy (who also just had a bunch of concussions) imo and especially Colin Jones.

Also this is something that never would have happened with JR as owner, so I'm glad we have someone who is a bit more progressive minded like Tepper running the show.

Great signing! Was pumped when I heard the news. Anyone is better than Colin Jones but especially him.

It will be interesting to see how he fits with our safeties. If I remember correctly, he is more a SS than a FS which is where Adams has been playing.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So after five or so games, thoughts on Reid's play thus far?

He gets better and better every week.  He was actually awarded with the game ball today after his first pick!  Physical player in the box.  Sometimes gets caught from time to time in coverage, but not a big deal.  He's helped this defense get much better as the season goes on.

Biggest problem is it still looks like he's confused on defense sometimes.  TD was screaming at him to get in position on a play in the redzone today, but I'm sure they understand.  He hasn't been on the team for a long time.

Just now, iknowcool said:

He gets better and better every week.  He was actually awarded with the game ball today after his first pick!  Physical player in the box.  Sometimes gets caught from time to time in coverage, but not a big deal.  He's helped this defense get much better as the season goes on.

Biggest problem is it still looks like he's confused on defense sometimes.  TD was screaming at him to get in position on a play in the redzone today, but I'm sure they understand.  He hasn't been on the team for a long time.

Understandable, but overall been solid in coverage? I can't believe how underrated he is in that area. We were very good defending opposing TEs last year, and the main reason was because of Reid. With more time he will get more comfortable with the calls/coverages. 

Good to see him playing well, still hate the way this all played out. For him to get essentially the vet minimum is such a slap in the face. 

Archived