Week 4 GDT: KC @ Den

onejayhawk

What a game. The first half wasn't good. A lack of concentration, missing tackles, some inaccurate throws and some unnecessary drops. Luckily they get rollin in the 4th quarter. Mahomes with 2 phenomenal drives, resulting in TDs and the Defense stepped up to make some crucial stops.

That was a very important victory and a sign to our divisional rivals.

4 minutes ago, valkrei said:

what are 2 immediate things that can be done to improve the D?  any ideas?

Back to basics on tackling. They would have been off the field a lot of times tonight if they just made a tackle. Forget schemes, coverages, blitzes, all that; just make a ******* tackle when you're meant to.

30 minutes ago, valkrei said:

More base defense sets

Less Scandrick

Speaks also needs less play time. I'd prefer to get O'Daniel some playing time there. He can't be that much worse, if any. Really though, Tanoh needs to be our #3.

2 hours ago, valkrei said:

Return of Berry.

Less zone coverage by the LBs, as most of their coverage failures come from a misunderstanding of who they need to cover, not a lack of physical skill, hence so many guys looking completely wide open. Leadership vacuum left by DJ and Berry doesn't help here. But I'm still less bothered by our CBs than by Jeff Heuerman and Andy Janovich running wide open through the defense.

I also think we need to shake the turnover heavy mentality we've had the past few years. A lot of guys still go for the strip/tip instead of/before securing the tackle. Worked often enough with a younger Parker, a healthy Berry, a prime Sean Smith, and a ball hawking Marcus Peters. Doesn't work with guys who need to be putting their full effort into just making the tackle or following the receiver.

Just watched the highlights ... 2nd & 30 ... no prob ... throwing lefthanded ... why not? Are you kidding me?
Unfortunately the highlight compilation does not really cover the lowlights, so it's hard to judge how they played overall.

Best thing about the game (I think): For the first time they had to come back, not to defend a lead. And they did big time.

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Return of Berry.

Less zone coverage by the LBs, as most of their coverage failures come from a misunderstanding of who they need to cover, not a lack of physical skill, hence so many guys looking completely wide open. Leadership vacuum left by DJ and Berry doesn't help here. But I'm still less bothered by our CBs than by Jeff Heuerman and Andy Janovich running wide open through the defense.

I also think we need to shake the turnover heavy mentality we've had the past few years. A lot of guys still go for the strip/tip instead of/before securing the tackle. Worked often enough with a younger Parker, a healthy Berry, a prime Sean Smith, and a ball hawking Marcus Peters. Doesn't work with guys who need to be putting their full effort into just making the tackle or following the receiver.

I agree on the turn over mentality.  To some degree you either have the talent to do it or you don't and right now we don't.  So focus on basics such as tackling.

I think we all know I’m no fan of Sutton.

With that being said, no scheme is going to fix the tackling issues from last night.

Still waiting to see this physical/Steelers style of D they preached all offseason.

They did come up with a huge 3rd down stop late, so I’ll give some props for that.

As abysmal as the defense was last night there were some glimpes of what they can do. One thing I'm trying to hold onto in the fact that we have a ton of new players and that usually takes some time. We seem so tentative, like: "oh I thought that was your guy" type a situations over and over. I really think once Berry comes back he can fill the leader role and get some of these dumbfounded moments to a minimum. I would also love to see Watts play more.

Archived