How did our defense become so offensive??

RpMc

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Someone that might see the field....a LB, OL, WR, RB, return man

We have 5 WR's and 4 RB's that were all active for the last game - It's not like Iloka is an inactive observer during games. He's making the vet minimum, is an established starter, and there's no one available that would have any significant impact at the positions you mentioned.

14 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I never got the play him or cut him stance

He's old, so has no future here. He's literally doing nothing....wouldn't having a young guy that might learn and play and be here be better? It doesn't matter in the grand scheme, clearly, but I don't understand adding him and then not playing him at all.

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

He's old, so has no future here. He's literally doing nothing....wouldn't having a young guy that might learn and play and be here be better? It doesn't matter in the grand scheme, clearly, but I don't understand adding him and then not playing him at all.

He's not that old and I think he'd be at least as good as Harris or kearse if he needed to start at safety although kearse had looked solid at slot corner. I would like to see him get some playing time though.

Personally with Griffen out I'd like to see them play some 3 d-lineman in passing situations with an extra safety or linebacker. 

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Ooops.! Clearly I thought he was older. That makes him not playing even more confusing....veteran, not old, not playing....

The team could have cut Brock last year after they got him late and didn't find much use for him. They didn't and now they have an extra draft compensatory draft pick for holding onto him. I think that Iloka is better depth than you are going to find at that price point and even if he isn't forced into action the team stands an excellent chance of compensatory considerations for holding him throughout the year. I see no reason to cut Iloka.

With ten days to prepare I really would like to see some new wrinkles.

I know the scheme is the scheme, and our coverage are our coverages and not much will change in that context, but personnel wrinkles should be in place.  Barr either needs to flat out play less because he's not playing well, or play less to give him a breather. He's not an effective player right now and teams are exposing him in coverage by motioning pre-snap to isolate him.  With ten days it's the perfect opportunity to give Iloka some looks instead of Sendejo. Jayron Kearse has absolutely earned some looks as the slot defender.  He played well there, and his physicality gives him an advantage over other slot corners in the run game.

5 hours ago, RpMc said:

With ten days to prepare I really would like to see some new wrinkles.

I know the scheme is the scheme, and our coverage are our coverages and not much will change in that context, but personnel wrinkles should be in place.  Barr either needs to flat out play less because he's not playing well, or play less to give him a breather. He's not an effective player right now and teams are exposing him in coverage by motioning pre-snap to isolate him.  With ten days it's the perfect opportunity to give Iloka some looks instead of Sendejo. Jayron Kearse has absolutely earned some looks as the slot defender.  He played well there, and his physicality gives him an advantage over other slot corners in the run game.

I agree with Iloka, he needs to play. I still think the Vikes need to find a role with Barr attacking downhill rather than playing in space. I don't know what that role is but were clearly missing a pass rush element with Griffen out.

No question we were outschemed vs the Rams.  Zim won it last year and they won it this year with WAY better personnel.  That rams team is stacked beyond belief.  Not a shameful loss.  I am still mad about Buffalo that was the dumpster fire.  Lose a firefight in Philly isnt terrible either but thats IT!  No more excuses after that but you can see the cracks in the foundation for sure.  O-line - O-line - O-line.  smdh.  Eight years ago we were all crying for a secondary and we got it.  Goff was brilliant.  A couple of Cousins throws were perfect too,  

38 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree with Iloka, he needs to play. I still think the Vikes need to find a role with Barr attacking downhill rather than playing in space. I don't know what that role is but were clearly missing a pass rush element with Griffen out.

Barr blitzed quite a bit in the game. He’s ineffective as an edge rusher because he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He doesn’t have a plan to set up tackles and/or doesn’t have the ability to use counter moves. Maybe blitzing him in the A or B gaps would be different, but he just doesn’t bring much to the table at the moment to my eyes - using him as an edge rusher is akin to using him to cover wide receivers at the moment. Neither is a good idea. 

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

using him as an edge rusher is akin to using him to cover wide receivers at the moment. Neither is a good idea

Very much true. I don't know what people have seen to make them think using Barr as an edge rusher is a good idea. We've seen him fail at that far more than enough. Are there examples of Barr looking good at this? Maybe there is and I have just forgotten. Barr has been good at some things but I never remember edge rushing being one of them. I recall seeing the team try to send him from the edge occasionally. I just don't remember seeing it work.

I have commented to the people that I sit and watch the games with that it looks like he is trying to find someone to block him when coming from the edge rather than trying to figure out how to avoid being blocked. Since making that comment at least three years ago we always chuckle when we see it happen again. I do not recall any moments where we were saying, "wow, the theory didn't hold that time". Perhaps we are just a biased group. There are definitely those in the group that I watch the game with that have seemed to have a special kind of hatred for Barr that I do not understand. They think he is terrible, which I do not agree with even though we have had some fun at his expense through the years.

Now, I agreed with this group completely with respect to Matt Kalil. That guy really was terrible at his job. If you can't laugh with the guys about things like Kalil it will make you cry. The laughing we have done at Barr in the last three years is wearing on me and I am starting to believe some of it but I am still not there. I still don't believe Barr is bad. There are things he is very poor at but that is true of many players in the league. You don't want to accentuate the things they are bad at. In other words, don't try sending Barr off anywhere but straight up the gut where the other team sometimes simply doesn't account for him. Give him any more space than that and he is guaranteed to find a blocker that will stop him dead in his tracks.

Needless to say, the fellows that I watch the game with suffer from group-think even more than the considerable group-think on this forum.

I've seen Dom Capers put together a better performance from his defense than what we did on Thursday.

Something has got to give or someone will be losing their job!

...and just an penny to my $.02, if we decide to start selling because the season is lost or something, I wouldn't mind looking at what we can get for Sendejo or Barr. This likely won't happen ever, but it's something fun I've been thinking of. 

Archived